Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Playing with a single expansion at a time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I've received Arkham Horror (great game!) with several expansions. I'd like to only use one expansion at a time. Looking at them, it is easy to figure out which cards belong to which, but the monsters cannot be differentiated, as far as I can tell.
How do people usually proceed? Do you keep all the monsters of all expansions in the game, even though a certain expansion is not used? Does this affect the overall balance? Should I make a sheet to list all monsters and pick them out when the expansion is not in use?

Thanks for all the insights.
Gilles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will rapidly discover that, with Arkham Horror, there is no "usual" or "universal" answer to any approach to playing the game. Many play with all the Monsters all the time - even if they choose to play with a single expansion at a time. However, some prefer to only play with the Monsters that came with the expansion(s) in play and still others choose to "thematically tune" the Monster selection.

Try it any way you fancy, see which you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if there's an easy way to attribute the monsters to the correct expansion beside doing an Excel spreadsheet for all monsters (does one already exist, BTW? Can't seem to find it...).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least some of those that separate them out by expansion use colour-coded edges or tally marks on the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furious Neutral
msg tools
mb
I've gone with colouring the edges, although I tend to keep them all in one bag anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play one expansion of the time with the exception of monsters and item cards. (The more, the better as far as I'm concerned.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Casus Belli wrote:
Do you know if there's an easy way to attribute the monsters to the correct expansion beside doing an Excel spreadsheet for all monsters (does one already exist, BTW? Can't seem to find it...).

Something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Our way (which is no more right or wrong than anyone else's) is to use the monsters, spells items and skill from all expansions (except the set specific skills out of Miskatonic). we also use all of the Mythos cards from Miskatonic.

The locations, gate and Mythos cards are used only when we are using the expansion that they are from.

Injuries, madness, and relationships are used in all games.

Gates are used with whichever big box they came with.

Lurker gates are used with Lurker

Exhibits are only used with Curse of the dark Pharaoh

Blights only with King in Yellow

We use only 1-2 expansions at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
Casus Belli wrote:
Do you know if there's an easy way to attribute the monsters to the correct expansion beside doing an Excel spreadsheet for all monsters (does one already exist, BTW? Can't seem to find it...).

Something like this?

Oh, hey, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jackalope. I don't have all the expansions you mention (yet ), but I'll keep your message for future reference... Until we find our own way I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was a program for my iPad to randomly draw a Monster. That way I could just put the miniature on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gilles. I made this collection of scenarios for just your predicament! Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Tibs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Hi Gilles. I made this collection of scenarios for just your predicament! Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Tibs

Wow thanks Tibs. I'll certainly give them a go, although this may take a while since my geoup doesn't meet regularly. Thanks for making them available.

Gilles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally use just the Dunwich extra board, but i have every expansion mixed in. So i use all monsters, gates, goo's, items, etc.

Regarding Mythos cards, If i get a card that is for a expansion not in use i discard and redraw.

Otherworld cards, again i have them all mixed in, you do get alot of "other" encounters, but this dosent bother me.

I dont mind the "dilution" of all expansions mixed in, Ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a list of which components belong to which set, I've found this ressource to be extremely helpful: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Main_Page.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
For a list of which components belong to which set, I've found this ressource to be extremely helpful: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Main_Page.

Regards.

Thanks Simon. That'll prove useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you and the others aren't familiar with the stories, it's usually not worth the effort in separating by expansions. However, the Black Goat in the Woods expansion has you separating out the hex monsters, and you can then separate out the Black Goat-related monsters just by their looks and monster titles. If you separate out the aquatic orange-bordered monsters, you can then easily separate out the deep ones, deep one hybrids, and Innmouth residents.

Myself, I just put all the aquatic orange monsters in an Innmouth monster cup, so draw Innsmouth monsters from this cup instead of the regular monster cup. The monsters tend to be weaker than some of the nasties that can appear on the other boards, so sort of serve as an incentive to go to the Innsmouth board. Also, it's amusing watching them "migrate" to the base game board through the aquatic movement!

You also need to take out the servitor monsters, and Dunwich Horror. If you buy only one FFG prepaint, make it the DH, since it's the only "boss" monster in AH! You can also get him unpainted in a Mansions of Madness expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more voice in the din. Up to now I play with only one expansion. Usually use the herald. But after the game is over, I separate the expansion components (cards and monsters) from the base game. I don't think it's that big a deal to separate them. I have the monsters of each expansion on a piece of paper. Go with whatever works best for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Myself, I just put all the aquatic orange monsters in an Innmouth monster cup, so draw Innsmouth monsters from this cup instead of the regular monster cup. The monsters tend to be weaker than some of the nasties that can appear on the other boards, so sort of serve as an incentive to go to the Innsmouth board. Also, it's amusing watching them "migrate" to the base game board through the aquatic movement!
That sounds like a really fun (and thematically kinda reasonable) way to go about things. Do you find it makes the IH-included game easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone is different. Here is our approach:

1. Include the following expansion elements for every game because we like them and they are not expansion theme specific:
- Epic Battle Cards
- Personal Stories
- Relationship Cards
- Madness and Injury Cards

If you have the Dreamlands fan created content, the terror track cards are a really cool add as well.

2. Keep the expansion location/mythos/other word card in their own decks
- when it comes time to draw, roll a die 1-3 pick from regular 4-6 pick from expansion extras

3. Use expansion monsters on expansion board and regular monsters on regular board
- color code edges in case they get mixed in the sky or the outskirts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.