Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1132867/a-list-of-flaws-from...

Due to some of the comments in that thread (thanks!), and to the chance I had to pick up 1st + SoS for a good price, I went ahead and bought them. (It seems house cards might be better balanced in 1st, SoS is the best 4 player scenario still, etc)

So now I am wondering if I should buy Clash of Kings or maybe go for the 2nd edition, since they are about the same price? (though you get much more in the 2e set)

There are many considerations here I guess, like if I want the 1st ed Martell cards I guess I need CoK, and also the overlay for the 1st board (what is this exactly?).

Also comes with:

- An alternative higher-powered set of House Cards for all six Houses.
- Rules and components for managing the ports of Westeros,
- New wooden tokens for the powerful but vulnerable Siege Engines.
- Wooden Fortification tokens.
- Special order tokens for every house.

The only thing I think that interests me out of that crop is the alternate house cards, are they worth having? Not sure what the Special order tokens do, or if they are generic tokens with rules for them?

TIA Let me know if I got something wrong or am missing something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
No point in buying either if you're just going to play 4ed with ASoS.

If not...

- The alternate house cards in ACoK are widely panned.

- The ports are ESSENTIAL

- Siege engines, not needed

- Wooden fortification tokens, not needed

- Special one-time order tokens, not needed

- The board overlay is there to convert the 5er map in 1ed to 6er. Without ACoK or 2ed, you cannot play 6er, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. I should have been more clear, assume I do want to play 6, so will buy one of them, just trying to decide which

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case:

Here are the House Cards for 1ed and 2ed respectively:

Forts are not needed, as I described in the other thread.

Special one-time orders add rule complexity for very little payoff in my opinion. I prefer the 2ed Consolidate Power star (instead of collecting power, muster at that city/stronghold instead).

BONUS: Get both ACoK and 2ed, then you can paint one set of units/tokens blue to use as Arryn in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows. Even better, paint all of them blue and sell off 5 sets for $$$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I guess what I have to decide is, will it be worth it to have the overlay in order to just play 6 using the 1E board. Apparently there is some issue with the 2E, where people have houseruled that you just block off choke points? I wonder how much different the 2E is from the 1E, if not much maybe not worth getting CoK at all.

Other than the overlay, you get 7 cards for Martell (and 42 alternate which you point out no one likes, probably too high powered and sound similar to 2E house cards) and I guess if I don't like the 2E version of the Martell cards I can just doctor them to be like the 1E cards.

Other than that, it seems there is not really a good reason to get CoK, as you would get all the phyical pieces in 2E, and so much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the same price you might as well get 2nd edition, as that is what most groups are playing now. I have my storm of swords in storage right now, so I can't remember exactly, but I think it uses the units provided from the base game? If so, it would be more convenient to dedicate the 1st edition units to storm of swords, and use 2nd edition units for 5 or 6 player games.

In terms of balance, I don't think A Clash of Kings games will go as long as 6 player 2nd edition games, on average. I suppose you could play with 2nd edition rules on A Clash of Kings, but then you might as well play 2nd edition. The only plus for A Clash of Kings is that I feel that Lannister has a better chance to win there than in any other version of the 5 or 6 player game. But even that may require a house rule for no unique one turn orders on turn 1.

Overall, if you think you will be playing with other gaming groups at times, then 2nd edition is the way to go to stay consistent with what is popular now. If you play with an isolated gaming group or don't care about conformity, then either works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Thanks again. I guess what I have to decide is, will it be worth it to have the overlay in order to just play 6 using the 1E board. Apparently there is some issue with the 2E, where people have houseruled that you just block off choke points? I wonder how much different the 2E is from the 1E, if not much maybe not worth getting CoK at all.

Other than the overlay, you get 7 cards for Martell (and 42 alternate which you point out no one likes, probably too high powered and sound similar to 2E house cards) and I guess if I don't like the 2E version of the Martell cards I can just doctor them to be like the 1E cards.

Other than that, it seems there is not really a good reason to get CoK, as you would get all the phyical pieces in 2E, and so much more.

People only house rule blocking off places in 2ed when playing with fewer than 6. It's optimized for 6er.

Honestly, picking between 1ed and 2ed for 6er is nitpicking. They're essentially the same thing, most have no preference, and if any do, that's only after lots of plays. I don't think you have to worry about which provides the better strategic experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Belgium
Transylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for the clash of kings, simply because it's getting rarer and rarer, it brings some cool stuff,

I see that a lot of people agree that you don't need the one time orders and the fortification tokens but I have to say that they are a lot of fun, they bring a new element to the game.

I bought both clash of kings and the 2nd edition because I found it on sale, now I mix up some versions and stuff, it's really cool :-)

The only problem I have with the house cards is that no set from either expansion or version is ideal for a house, but that' s just me nitpicking :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can get ACOK and 2nd Ed for the same price, I would say buy 2nd Ed then. You will get way more value for your money, and still be able to play 6 players.

If you want to play with the 1st Ed house cards in conjunction with 2nd Ed's Martell cards, but you don't like the Martell cards, then you can customise them to have the same abilities as ACOK's Martell cards. Or, since it seems that you haven't played 2nd Ed yet, you can just try the 2nd Ed cards for yourself and decide whether you really don't want to play with them. For me, ASOS had the best house cards for 1st Ed (including Martell cards as well), so there's already a full set of alternative cards to 2nd Ed's house cards.

selwyth wrote:
In that case:

Here are the House Cards for 1ed and 2ed respectively:

Those are the house cards of the 1st Ed base game, which jayjonbeach already has now, and not ACOK's cards. For comparison, you can get a summary of the ACOK house cards here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.