Subject: Why doesn't anyone play Public Sympathy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of threads on the new damage combos corporations are running and never see anyone recommend Public Sympathy. Can anyone explain why no one likes this card? If you get a couple of them on the board your hand size is 9, which would protect you from two scorched earths. If you don't get scorched you have a big hand from which to play.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem of Public Sympathy is that a single copy doesn't help you. You need to wait for the second one. And even if you play 3, 2 of them will be in the bottom half of your deck half the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Public Sympathy is still OK, but compared to Plascrete its trashed to tags, and doesn't actually gain you any cards in hand *now*, and requires 2 of them to survive double SE.

If that wasn't enough, sweeps week now also completely owns it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cassidy zimmerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a resource so it's vulnerable to tags. Most decks that depend on a meat damage combo also have a method of giving a tag - often repeatedly. So the runner with two sympathies, has nine cards, gets tagged, loses both sympathies, and on their turn has to discard down to 5 again. At that point the corp just needs to get another tag landed and the runner no longer has public sympathy.

It's only a temporary failsafe for meat damage. It's far better against mitigating net damage or brain damage as often decks which use those usually aren't flinging tags on the corps turn and won't see as many resources trashed, or in decks that want to play multiple stimhacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
The problem of Public Sympathy is that a single copy doesn't help you. You need to wait for the second one. And even if you play 3, 2 of them will be in the bottom half of your deck half the time.

Just to clarify this: The big, scary killer card a lot of the time is Scorched Earth. Double Scorch is 8 damage, which would still kill you if you had a Public Sympathy and 7 cards in hand, but it can't kill you if you have a single Plascrete out.

Now Public Sympathy does also help again Net and Brain damage, but I'd say Net is only likely to kill you when you're already low on cards in hand, otherwise, it's more of an inconvenience. Brain damage is what Public Sympathy is really built to deal with most, but brain damage probably doesn't kill (directly) very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to add to all of that, Sweeps Week now exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decks with multiple Stimhacks play public sympathy sometimes. Not a bad card, it has it's place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, such instant response. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I love Public Sympathy in Kate. I run 3 of them and works great with Pro Contacts. I also run 2 Stimhacks. I had someone double scorch me once when I had no Plascretes and a Brain Damage. He thought I had 7 cards in hand when I had 8. I still won that game because most the cards I lost were doubles or I was able to recur them with Clone Chip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cassidy zimmerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully in the future, he'll know to ask how many cards you have before doing that, because hand size is public knowledge, just like credit pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I don't use Public Sympathy is because I've found I have very few decks where I have that much card draw and want to keep that many cards in hand. I prefer decks that draw very quickly, and often pay those cards immediately in some way (e.g. Freelance Coding Contracts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Noise-Wyldside deck I play Public Sympathy. I just added a third copy of it in the most recent Iteration. The card is awesome.

Without it, I often found myself having to trash surplus cards due to Wyldsides mandatory draws. Secondly, I can run R&D deeply against Jinteki and in General run everything in remotes without having to fear instant death or smth. This is awesome at match Point situations. It surely helps against Scorched because it slows down the Corp doing it.
I.e. if you see him trashing your Public Sympathy, you know what he is up to. And that in turn gives you a window of opportunity to potentially run HQ and trash Scorched with Imps or Demo Run.

The Addition of Public Sympathy proced to have tremendouspositive effects on the Performance of my deck. Universally applicable, protecting and diminishing the effects of the Stimhacks. Pure Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 public sympathy and 2 plascrete sorted for most traps

but PS alone also help full for setting up runner combos : test run scavenge,
: indexing + makers eye
and keeping all your Quality time
: and to offset your stimhack braindamage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until Honor and Profit is out for a bit and players experience Chairman Hiro enough - Public Sympathy will start appearing in decks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wrathofmine
France
Argenteuil
France
flag msg tools
Joelist wrote:
Wait until Honor and Profit is out for a bit and players experience Chairman Hiro enough - Public Sympathy will start appearing in decks again.

And expose/run psychic for a nice 9 net damages !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Public Sympathy can sometimes create this effect of hesitance to actually play cards. Most often you play it, to protect yourself from damage, it doesn't make that much sense to use it as "hand enabler" to increase your play options (you still have to find and play PS and you still have to draw cards).

So if you want to protect from damage, you obviously want your upper limit all the time, which means either drawing as hell or not playing cards.

Additionally, it actually makes card discarding harder (you cannot discard voluntarily), so in order to discard, you have to overdraw. This disables several viable strategies basing on installing/recovering cards from heap.

It's not a bad card, though, and you can still see it sometimes in Shaper (because PC, Diesel and QT).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
Kandiru wrote:
Public Sympathy is still OK, but compared to Plascrete its trashed to tags, and doesn't actually gain you any cards in hand *now*, and requires 2 of them to survive double SE.

If that wasn't enough, sweeps week now also completely owns it!

You're actually even *more* vulnerable to damage immediately after you play it, since the PS came out of your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.