Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been soloing the First Crusade to get the a handle on the game play. I had a case where a Christian army won a major victory. In the pursuit of the Muslim army they did even more damage than during the actual battle, more steps lost. Was pursuit that deadly in reality? Really liking the game. Obviously I'm still learning the ropes but from what I've experienced so far there is no sure outcome, things can quickly take a turn in an unexpected direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Swan
United Kingdom
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it was. Historically more casualties often occured after one side routed than during the initial engagement. That is one of the reasons why battles tended to be decisive with clear winners.

And with Medieval technology, the ratio of injured to dead was quite high. I've seen studies suggesting up to 7-1. Many of these will still be mobile, but the injured of the losing side are far more likely to be killed or captured than those of the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lesson is to be very, very careful in choosing to engage in field battle. It's not always up to you, of course, but you should aim for superior leadership and a good battle card or two.

As for pursuit in general, it was particularly deadly in the Crusades because both forces had ample cavalry, usually. Moreover the nature of the conflict didn't generally inspire either side to mercy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.