Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a couple of offers in a geeklist auction. I notice that a couple of people who have also made offers in the last couple of hours are brand new users who registered today. It seems strange that both "Jenny" and "Mike"'s very first action is to bid on items in an auction before ever adding a game to their collection, asking a rules question, etc.

I can only think of a couple of reasons for creating sock puppets:
* The auction owner trying to bid up the prices with shill bids.
* In local pickup auctions there may be local folks who don't want to openly bid against others they know.

Any thoughts? I wonder if there should be a limit preventing new users from commenting on auction geeklists? Has this come up before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
An auction may spur a browsing user to make an account to bid.

If you have concerns about unethical activity you should geekmail Octavian to discuss it privately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, perhaps I will. If my post was against the terms of service I apologize and please do go ahead and delete it.

I should also have made it more clear that I don't think that the person running this particular auction would be likely to take part in those kinds of behaviors. That is why I was trying to think of alternate reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
I don't see how the post could be against the terms of service you are just expressing a doubt.

But like Indigopotter said it could be just a search that turned them here. Some users don't really have interests in keeping their collections or played games complete. But you could be right off course. So no problem that you want to express that doubt I guess, but indeed Octavian would be the man to talk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two new users who bid on an auction the same day they sign up? Seems pretty suspicious. I would ask an admin to check the IP addresses of those accounts against the seller's.

On a related note, what is BGG's policy for handling a situation where a seller creates fake accounts to bid up their items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo Indigopotter, if you have any concerns I'd go ahead and contact the Community Manager:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.