Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Played for the first time today and have a few questions, they might be a bit lame, but I don't own the game and some of the things that were explained by the owner didn't made much sense or he just didn't have a definitive reply:

1- When you win a combat the gladiator receives a Favor token... That makes him a step closer of being a Champion and will earn money to the Dominus if he is used in future combats...
a)If that gladiator loses a combat but he's not killed nor the Host kills him does he lose the favor gained before?
B)If not (and to me it doesn't make any sense if the favor is not lost) is there anyway for a gladiator to lose the Favor Token that doesn't imply their death?

2- The card "Rigging the Match" that is played after all wagers for a match have been placed and that causes the target dominus to replaced their Gladiator with another one:
A) Can this be counter by discarding Guards and rolling the Dice?
B) Can this card be played if that's the only Gladiator the Dominus has? if yes what happens? (The dominus had no more gladiators but he had 2 slaves)

3- This one has to do with the expansion... A Dominus asked for help to play a influence card that required 12 influence to be played... he got the help from a player and their total influence totaled 15... I played the card "You have Over Reached" that would foil that Scheme but the owner of the game said that it couldn't be played because the card has a arrow pointing down meaning that the player playing that card had to have less influence than the target Dominus...
I had 9 Influence, he had 8... but for me the influence is not the one from the Dominus that played the Scheme but the total influence of the 2 Dominus combined that totaled 15... but he was arguing that what counted was his influence alone, I told him that that didn't made any sense because if that was the thing that counted then he couldn't complete the Scheme because he didn't have enough Influence...
So who was right in this one?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but it's 3:33 AM and I thought it would be faster to ask to get concrete replies to my doubts

thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No
2) I believe it's not a scheme, so can't be countered by guards. They have to send a slave
3)I don't believe you can play the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really... makes little sense in any of the cases :s

Another question I forgot to ask...

If a Gladiator with a favor is killed by the Host of the combat after he has lost the combat does the host lose 1 influence? (another thing that for me makes little sense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus is great game, but I get the impression you had a somewhat less than stellar experience for your first play.

As to Your questions:

1a: Favour is not lost when you lose a combat.
1b: I can't think of a way (I don't remember if there are any schemes that do this)

2a: No - only schemes can be countered with guards. There is however a reaction card that can stop it (Jupiter's C**k)
2b: No - the card specifies "gladiator" (I think this question is in the official FAQ)

3: I'm fairly certain only the target dominus' influence counts, but I don't have the rulebook handy so I can't say for sure

All rules are available for download from GF9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus question: Yes - the host loses an influence if he has a Favoured gladiator killed. A Champion cannot be killed at all by the host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Mancera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Paulo, your questions have been well answered but I want to re affirm and give my viewpoint on them.

1 - The gladiator´s favour in lost combats its not lost.

If the gladiator lives to see another day, even if he lost the combat, has the right to continue being "favoured" for his previous victories. I dont know if you saw the TV show, but there was a Capua Champion that lost one single match and yet survived. He recovered from his injuries and then regained his right to combat in the arena again. Maybe he wasn´t the champion anymore, but still favoured for his previous glory on the arena (his Dominus could just let him die for his wounds, but the favour remains...) The gladiator earned that favour with blood, let the man keep it even if he fails once

2 - As answered, no. Guards can only foil schemes (not reactions) that targets you. If any of the requiremens of the card its not possible (the target Dominus has to change a gladitor for another gladiator) then you can´t play the card. Slaves are "combatants", they can fight if wanted by the dominus or forced to, due to not having gladiators and yet invited to the arena. But they cant be targeted by the Rigging the Match card, because they are not "gladiators", sorry.

3 - I see this one very clear, you chose a target for your scheme, if the cost is an arrow UP, you need to have more influence than your target. If DOWN, you need to have less. It doesnt matter if the Dominus asked for help to gain a total of 14 PInfluence for a concrete scheme (the total amount of influence doesnt mean that the Dominus is now 14 for ever), you targeted the original 8 points Dominus, so according to the card you need to be lower than he. Its not playable at all.

I hope you find this answer usefull and help you to enjoy this fantastic game even more. Have fun!

Bonus answer:

Yes, you loose 1 point of influence for give a thumbs down on a favoured gladiator. Why? The crowd doesnt want to see their be loved gladiators die on the arena, they will booo the guy go gives the thumbs down to him. As in the show (again) you need to take care of the crowd, as is the most valuable resource of all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
And it is even -1 influence for each favor token a gladiator has, if the host kills him after the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies... this is a great community

Regarding my issues with some of these rules... I think that the not losing the Favor when losing a combat makes winning a single combat too overpowered because you get +1 influence, you a favor for the gladiator, when you use him in future fights you get 2 gold for each favor, if you lose the fight you don't lose the favor, if the Host Dominus decides to kill you they lose 1 influence point for each favor the gladiator has, when you get to 3 favors you become a Champion and never lose that status again...

I think that if a Gladiator with a Favor loses a combat he should lose the Favor but only if the Host decides let him live, that would be the penalty for losing the combat, he would be shamed and he would have to recover the prestige in the arena once again... the way it is the only penalty for the loser is not gaining 1 influence, nothing more...

Regarding the explanation for not being able to play the card to foil the scheme because the target Dominus had a lower influence than me at the time despite being helped...
For me this makes no sense at all... if the Scheme requires 12 influence to be played than that should be the target influence to be compared with the influence of the Dominus playing the card to foil the scheme...
and then you ask, if that's the case how would anyone be able to prevent such scheme to be played if the arrow was pointing up requiring you to have more influence than the target? Easy, then the Dominus trying to foil the scheme would have to ask for the help of another Dominus so that there combined influence was greater than the others...
That would add so much more to the game, that would make the politics much more real like they were in the show and in real life, with people forging temporary alliances for whatever reason... this would allow the 4th Dominus to try to get money form Dominus that were trying to pass the scheme so he doesn't help to prevent the scheme, etc, etc, etc... it would be for me much more thematic, more fun and make for a better experience...
The way it is makes no sense to me and to tell you the truth this and the previous question regarding the favors are things that might prevent me from playing it again

Regarding the Rigging the Match card, we played it right and it was the way I interpreted and that makes sense... the card specifically refers gladiators and not combatants so it made no sense to have to use a Slave instead

Once again, thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Muse23PT wrote:
Thank you all for the replies... this is a great community

Regarding my issues with some of these rules... I think that the not losing the Favor when losing a combat makes winning a single combat too overpowered because you get +1 influence, you a favor for the gladiator, when you use him in future fights you get 2 gold for each favor, if you lose the fight you don't lose the favor, if the Host Dominus decides to kill you they lose 1 influence point for each favor the gladiator has, when you get to 3 favors you become a Champion and never lose that status again...

I think that if a Gladiator with a Favor loses a combat he should lose the Favor but only if the Host decides let him live, that would be the penalty for losing the combat, he would be shamed and he would have to recover the prestige in the arena once again... the way it is the only penalty for the loser is not gaining 1 influence, nothing more...

Regarding the explanation for not being able to play the card to foil the scheme because the target Dominus had a lower influence than me at the time despite being helped...
For me this makes no sense at all... if the Scheme requires 12 influence to be played than that should be the target influence to be compared with the influence of the Dominus playing the card to foil the scheme...
and then you ask, if that's the case how would anyone be able to prevent such scheme to be played if the arrow was pointing up requiring you to have more influence than the target? Easy, then the Dominus trying to foil the scheme would have to ask for the help of another Dominus so that there combined influence was greater than the others...
That would add so much more to the game, that would make the politics much more real like they were in the show and in real life, with people forging temporary alliances for whatever reason... this would allow the 4th Dominus to try to get money form Dominus that were trying to pass the scheme so he doesn't help to prevent the scheme, etc, etc, etc... it would be for me much more thematic, more fun and make for a better experience...
The way it is makes no sense to me and to tell you the truth this and the previous question regarding the favors are things that might prevent me from playing it again

Regarding the Rigging the Match card, we played it right and it was the way I interpreted and that makes sense... the card specifically refers gladiators and not combatants so it made no sense to have to use a Slave instead

Once again, thank you all

I think the favors are made that way, to increase the chance of getting a champion. In my games this has happened maybe twice in 5-6 games. When a person has a gladiator with a favor on, the price he has to pay for being invited goes up. So that adjusts itself if all players knows the game and what it is worth - often you need to be host yourself to get your favored gladiator in the arena again.

I think it is great, that you cannot ask for influence when playing reactions (it sound like you want that). It makes perfect sence to me, that there are situations where you are on your own without time to ask for help. Then those alliances you mention are just helping out with a scheme on your own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Mancera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree with this

the way it is the only penalty for the loser is not gaining 1 influence, nothing more...

If the gladiator loose by wound, he may die the next turn if rolls a 1 in the dice (happened to me lots of time)

If the gladiator is decapitated, dies, of course (there are gladiators whos habilities are auto decaptitacion at the end, or auto wound)

If someone have a favoured gladiator, bid for the Host title and dont invite him to the games so he can´t get 2 gold per favour token (as I see, is not that much, you can ask him to give you 2 gold for just being invited to the games if you are the host and he gets not gold at all)

I think you just have to figure out the game a little more, play more and you will see the system is pretty well balanced and funny.

I read you have the expansion, right? You can always declare a primus and convince Ashur to change teams and kill the champion in a 3v1 match

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nacheteman wrote:
I disagree with this

the way it is the only penalty for the loser is not gaining 1 influence, nothing more...

If the gladiator loose by wound, he may die the next turn if rolls a 1 in the dice (happened to me lots of time)

If the gladiator is decapitated, dies, of course (there are gladiators whos habilities are auto decaptitacion at the end, or auto wound)

If someone have a favoured gladiator, bid for the Host title and dont invite him to the games so he can´t get 2 gold per favour token (as I see, is not that much, you can ask him to give you 2 gold for just being invited to the games if you are the host and he gets not gold at all)

I think you just have to figure out the game a little more, play more and you will see the system is pretty well balanced and funny.

I read you have the expansion, right? You can always declare a primus and convince Ashur to change teams and kill the champion in a 3v1 match

I don't have the game... I played with a friend that owns the game and expansion...

What is to declare a Primus? he didn't talked about that (but we also didn't have Ashur in play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Mancera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was just an example.

A primus is when the host (at lvl 10) invite 4 players and the arena is a 2v2 match. Ashur is a gladiator than can join the opposite team and make a 3v1 combat. Its a great strategy to kill an enemy champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Paulo,

Your questions were answered but I just wanted to add a note: one of the things I like about this game is that it is very easy to tweak the rules while keeping it balanced and potentially more fun.

One of the things I think can mess up the game is for example a Spartacus coming up in the first turn (specially if I get it while playing with new players and they can't collaborate to prevent me from fighting in the arena all the time ^^
So I just made a rule to not allow the high end gladiators to pop up before a gladiator costing 3/4 pops up. Of course sometimes I play with people that don't like house rules and then I play by the book and that is fine.

Anyway! Regarding your case, if you friends think it makes sense you can say that every time a gladiator loses a fight he loses a favor token (personally I think it kind of makes sense.. a guy with 2-0 has 2 favors, but a guy with 3-6 (3 wins and 6 losses) being a champion in a bit weird

As for the reaction that requires you to have less influence.. if you agree in case of "helping out" the effective influence when it comes to playing those cards is the sum then it is fine too.

An interesting example would be the the foil that requires you to have more influence than the player you are foiling.

If you have 8 influence and detect that card in an opponents hand (with the spy for instance) that has 9 influence you could ask for help playing a certain card you think is important, raising your influence above 9 (for a cost of course) and making sure it couldn't be countered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips Pedro... I had figured I could do some house rules but some people don't like that...

So I'm a bit on the fence about getting this one... I have Nothing Personal and think it may fill the same spot Spartacus does...

Thank you all for your contribution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.