Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the English translation of the rules under "Ending the Game / New Round" it says "players with more than 12 cards in hand must discard down to 12 cards. Begin another round of play."

It seems pretty basic to me but there was a discussion about whether a person should take more than twelve cards during the income phase. There was a player who had an income of 16 cards towards the end of the game so they always had more than 12.

We assumed it was just an advantage because the player had the opportunity to see more cards and had better chance to get good scoring cards.

It did seem to slow the game down a bit and during the second game most people decided to just draw to 12 and stop. It did not feel right and I was curious what others have decided in their game plays.

Draw to 12, or draw all the cards and if nobody has 50 pts discard.

I vote for the latter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw your full income then discard down to twelve. I haven't had any question about whether it was right. Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a long day with not much sleep. I imagine we will read this post in the morning and go "duh!" blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It did seem to slow the game down a bit and during the second game most people decided to just draw to 12 and stop. It did not feel right and I was curious...

Once you learn the game, it really shouldn't slow things down much. By the time you are drawing to over 12 cards, you are near the end of the game; you want cards that score a lot. Which are usually expensive. So you pick 1 or 2 expensive high scoring cards, and plan on using the rest of the cards to pay for them. There's no need to actually ponder every card you see when you are drawing that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Exactly; you don't even need to discard down to 12 before making your move in practice. Just make your move (paying to bring out some expensive high-scoring card) and then discard enough remaining cards so that you have the right remaining amount in your hand.

E.g. you have just drawn a zillion cards. You see that you have a card which costs 10 to build and is obviously the best card to build. So there's no need to agonize about what cards you will discard before you build it. You simply put that card out, and you know that after paying 10 cards for it you should have 1 card left in your hand (12 minus the card itself minus the 10 to build it equals 1 card left), so now throw away all but 1 card from your hand.

Doing that speeds up the final turn(s). There's no real point agonizing about what cards to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game ends in a draw (points), then total cards (after drawing, before discarding down to 12) on hand is the tie-break.

I think in theory it's possible that last player will not be able to draw his full income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.