• [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Legends I just don't feel. Played it twice and each time it felt like the adventuring part should have been more exciting. Lack of control for the scoring method also didn't help and felt there was a high luck dependency to hit the monsters you wanted. The art and feeling of growth building your hero with more cool gear and skills felt great.

7 wonders was played mercilessly at my groups table. In part because it was a quick game allowed for up to 7 (or now 8) players meant it was often played at the start or end of the night. Also because everyone introduced in my group enjoyed it. It went on the shelf for seven months just around the time of cities but it's seeing play at the table again. I like there are multiple paths to victory, asymmetric play and how quick the game is. Lack of interactivity bothered me but I've found Cities changed that enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what I've seen, 7 Wonders: Babel is going to add a lot of interactive elements to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Lost Legends, but I prefer both Fairy Tale and Seasons to 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also havent played Lost Legends, but prefer 7 Wonders to Fairy Tale and Among the Stars.

Sushi Go is great fun however, awesome filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played Lost Legends but I prefer Fairy Tale to 7 Wonders. 7 Wonders is still a very good game mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only (partially) played Lost Legends once (at Essen) and found it to be a horrible mess. It seems to have a bit more meat to it's bones than 7 Wonders but also felt convoluted and arbitrary. As such I much prefer the more elegant 7 Wonders.

As pure drafting games go, Among the Stars hasn't managed to convince me either. The concept of adding geographic? restrictions to placing the cards is neat but the good looking cards make it almost impossible to determine your opponents strategy in a timely fashion. As such you're left to play essentially multiplayer solitaire.

As other's pointed out Seasons incorporates drafting aspects (card drafting in the beginning and dice drafting throughout the rest). I like it much better that all the other games I've mentioned in this post. It takes a fun mechanic and instead of forcing the full burden of gameplay on it supports it with some other elements and molds it into an elegant and diverse experience. It's far from perfect. Playing time and downtime can become an issue. But it still wins hands down IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:

+1, though Seasons too is good if we're counting that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
Only (partially) played Lost Legends once (at Essen) and found it to be a horrible mess. It seems to have a bit more meat to it's bones than 7 Wonders but also felt convoluted and arbitrary. As such I much prefer the more elegant 7 Wonders.

As pure drafting games go, Among the Stars hasn't managed to convince me either. The concept of adding geographic? restrictions to placing the cards is neat but the good looking cards make it almost impossible to determine your opponents strategy in a timely fashion. As such you're left to play essentially multiplayer solitaire.

As other's pointed out Seasons incorporates drafting aspects (card drafting in the beginning and dice drafting throughout the rest). I like it much better that all the other games I've mentioned in this post. It takes a fun mechanic and instead of forcing the full burden of gameplay on it supports it with some other elements and molds it into an elegant and diverse experience. It's far from perfect. Playing time and downtime can become an issue. But it still wins hands down IMHO.

7 Wonders elegant? If elegant = boring game that a newb can win by accident of random card draw then okay.

Among the Stars adds a lot more and takes some structural planning.

Seasons is just too long for what it is and the random dice and completely ruin any good card drafting making it near impossible to cast spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
7 Wonders elegant? If elegant = boring game that a newb can win by accident of random card draw then okay.
I don't consider 7W to be exciting but it does do a number of things well. The cards are easy to recognize from a distance. And the rules are simple and easy to pick up. Compared to the random and unbalanced mess that is Lost Legends, yes, that is elegant. Considering how expensive the cards in the last age are and how much planning is required to pull any of them off I don't see how a newb could just wing it and end up beating an experienced player through one lucky "random card".

robbdaman wrote:
Among the Stars adds a lot more and takes some structural planning.
True, AtS delivers fairly well in terms of depth vs complexity when compared to 7W/LL.

robbdaman wrote:
Seasons is just too long for what it is and the random dice and completely ruin any good card drafting making it near impossible to cast spells.
I never had that problem. I never saw anyone having that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:

+1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Krause
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Write-in for Fairy Tale.

But if you're willing to put in some work, the greatest drafting game by a huge stretch is the building of your own Magic: the Gathering Cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Albert Lea
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Fairy Tale. It is much better though with the rethemed artwork here. I really enjoy 7 Wonders, but Fairy Tale can give a very similar drafting experience in a much shorter time period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Legends had a lot of potential, but the dependence on your neighbors just made it fall flat for me.

I played a three player game. I killed stuff. The guy to my left killed stuff. The guy to my right rarely was able to kill stuff. I was repeatedly shafted because of the poor performance of one of my opponents. Blech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:

I never give this game credit, but for those who just want to fill up their side of the table with random spell effects, this game does it with virtually no obstacles along the way.

I find the game way too easy to get things out. Each game I played ended up the same exact way: all players with maximum cards on the table.

Hell, half the time, pulling a random die is as strategic as thinking about which one to choose intentionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to Seasons you guys clearly haven't played it enough and against cutthroat players. I have played hundreds of games though most of them online. Being summoning stars short is a common issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering Cube Draft Format.

You can build a decent cube for about $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
To those who draft mtg, I completely agree, but the best way to draft mtg is in 8 mans, in my opinion. Even if it's just 4 players, it still takes a lot longer than the 30 to forty five 7 wonders takes. But if I have the time and the cube, mtging drafting is rather fun!

You can do a Winchester Draft with 2 or 3 players only. Sorry, I meant to specify that, but that's almost exclusively how I've played Cubes. I keep forgetting I'm probably in a minority in that regard. But, you are correct. It usually takes us about 45-60 minutes to get through a complete round. But once, your deck is built, you can play again right away if you like as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Fairy Tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
Sushi Go? Do tell..

+1 Sushi Go! It's 7 Wonders, light version more or less. Perfect for beginners who would balk at 7 Wonders, but meaty enough for a gamer. New version being published by Gamewright, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
padawanofthegames wrote:
To those who draft mtg, I completely agree, but the best way to draft mtg is in 8 mans, in my opinion. Even if it's just 4 players, it still takes a lot longer than the 30 to forty five 7 wonders takes. But if I have the time and the cube, mtging drafting is rather fun!

You can do a Winchester Draft with 2 or 3 players only. Sorry, I meant to specify that, but that's almost exclusively how I've played Cubes. I keep forgetting I'm probably in a minority in that regard. But, you are correct. It usually takes us about 45-60 minutes to get through a complete round. But once, your deck is built, you can play again right away if you like as well.

This x1000!!! This also works really well with Warhammer: Invasion and even my complete collection of Ascension: Deckbuilding Game sets and promos...

But, more in line with this post. I like 7 Wonders a lot. It's so elegant and the expansions make the game truly fantastic! I can't really speak for too many of the other drafting games, but I know I like it WAY more then Seasons. Seasons was too much of a fiddly mess for me.

Also, I've had my eyes on Lost Legends and Among the Stars for quite a while, but have ultimately decided that (between owning Race for the Galaxy and 7 Wonders, and having a game group that enjoys cube drafting our LCGs and Deck-Builders) I don't need them. Still hope to try them out some day at a FLGS game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.