Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoo boy. I finally got some more time to play tonight, popped open the campaign book, and reviewed my options. I somehow managed to fully complete Mission 1 (took me enough tries) so I could either do Mission 2 or skip straight to Mission 3.

"Well, I'll just do Mission 2!" says I. "More experience for my agents!" says I. Knowing that the Mission 3 => Mission 5 jump is probably going to be brutal if my most advanced agents are merely level 2 (I've heard Mission 5 is brutal, although I've so far restrained myself from looking ahead to see why).

Three rounds. Four dead scientists. Mission failed. (Granted, I don't think you're technically supposed to count it as failed until you lose sufficient agents or time expires, but since it was getting late and there were only two more possible humans I could save with three required to beat the mission...yeah, time to pack things up.)

Looks like I'll be playing this one into the ground, too (I don't really mind progressing on a failure, but at this point I'm thinking that my strategy might need a bit of practice. Plus I haven't really figured out those darn aracnos yet; what nasty buggers!).

How has other folks' luck been with Mission 2? Any general approaches or class cocktails that have seemed to work better than others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got really lucky with mission 2, picking up three humans early right after they were revealed. Mission 5 though,:shake: is way too long. I was I think almost four hours in where I just stopped, even though I wasn't doing bad, because I was only seven rounds in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
I had succes with a Marine, Sniper and Biotech. The Biotech is in my eyes the most important. It depends how you play. I play without human view and friendly fire. I really think this rules weren't supposed be in the game at the beginning and were added at the kampagne because the people wanted it. Without this rules the game is still hard enough ... .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! I haven't got past mission 1 yet - I keep running out of time. I know I can beat it, I just need to plan my solo session better!

It can go pear shaped pretty quickly this game though and you need to plan each move carefully.

Great, great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
I was I think almost four hours in where I just stopped, even though I wasn't doing bad, because I was only seven rounds in.

surprise

Apparently I'm going to have to plan a weekend getaway prior to Mission 5. (I think there's also a shorter version available for download from the GD website, which might help.)

MaliZeko wrote:
I play without human view and friendly fire

I've been playing with Human View (mainly just to practice calculating LOS), and aside from the headaches it can introduce with figuring out LOS it doesn't add much overhead. I think I've only had to waste my movement on a re-position twice out of eight or so games (and both times I had an alien adjacent to me, so I wasn't going to be moving, anyway).

The rest of the optional rules are staying off, though. Close Fight? Friendly Fire? Forget that!

BrianJohnHunt wrote:
I keep running out of time.

After a couple nights of staying up to midnight (can't start playing until my daughter is in bed, and then one or two rounds are all it takes) I actually ended up buying a card table simply so I can leave off in the middle of a mission without sacrificing the ability to eat meals the next day. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 5 is long indeed, especially if you are not Agent N or Agent S. The Gremlins know, and they posted a shorter variant of that mission on the Galaxy Defenders web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly , there is a SMART version of the Mission 5 available,
But we hope that soon or later a good GD squad will try the normal version also, cause it's long but a very nice challenge!

Last Debriefing for me and Agent N about the Mission 5 was:

5 Agents (as required by the mission)
Playing time: 130 minutes, normal difficulty level, 1 casualty for our squad (the marine), both Xeno-Grey killed, Red Armoury token rescued.

So it can be done cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did end up killing one of the Xeno-grey as well, but my Infiltrator died going for the armory token. I have no doubt I would have ended up winning eventually, but there were so many aliens to manage that it just took a very long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Yes, exactly , there is a SMART version of the Mission 5 available,
But we hope that soon or later a good GD squad will try the normal version also, cause it's long but a very nice challenge!

Last Debriefing for me and Agent N about the Mission 5 was:

5 Agents (as required by the mission)
Playing time: 130 minutes, normal difficulty level, 1 casualty for our squad (the marine), both Xeno-Grey killed, Red Armoury token rescued.

So it can be done cool

Designers lost a guy? Yeah... I think this one will be tricky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.