Subject: Any new info on the HOD units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all.
To bide time while waiting for my order of NW68 and HOD to ship, I have been looking at the few pictures in the LnL site that shows the new counter sheet from HOD. I’m looking for any information you people might have about the new counters. I’m not actually after the rules at this time (although it would be nice to read the HOD rulebook when it becomes available), but just some information of what the counter sheet consists of.

I have looked very carefully at the picture of the counter sheet in LnL site, but it doesn’t show all of the sheets contests. Some of it is hidden behind the example counters. I listed all the stuff that I could see and made some guesses of what is not shown:

Reich formation has 13 counters: 2 Arkanum korps activation chits, 1 CO, 2 Schock troopers, 2 flame throwers, 3 heroes (can’t make out their names, one has three letter word as name, maybe Owl?) and what looks like it might be the Nebelwerfer SPA unit. That leaves 2 unseen counters, which might just be Halftrack (or other) transports for the Schock troopers.

The NATO unit also has 13 counters: 1 Hades activation chit, 3 heroes ( Zasha, Arkady and Gilbert Roe), 2 Sappers, 2 BMP-1 transports, Ares mech and what looks like some kind of anti-armour rifle? That leaves 3 unseen counters of which one has to be the CO counter. Another counter is propably a second mystery rifle counter, so that leaves just 1 mystery counter. A second Hades activation chip perhaps?

White hand formation has unknown number of counters, maybe 14? What I can tell for sure is that it has 2 BH activation chits, Abomination, King worm and 3 heroes (Hans Fleisch, Horst Schrei and Ralf Weiss). One counter is propably the Meatwagon and there are an unknown number of Skinless counters (5 maybe). That still leaves 1 mystery counter (another Meatwagon?)

Neutral faction has maybe 10 counters: 3 Heroes (Konrad Sixtus and 2 unknown), 2 survivors, 1 Mercenary (maybe more). I can’t tell if the neutrals have activation chit(s) or CO’s (maybe they don’t need them and they get added to existing formations instead). There’s a half seen counter that reads "Neutral" on the bottom (that might be the activation chit?).

Then there are 6 counters that are some kind of equipment (sapper tools, first aid kit, bridge, supply depot and 2 others)

Next there are 8 Zombies and 8 Corpses. Kill infantry counter, it turns into corpses counter that can be raised as zombies, looks like it.

Next row has 8 Fire counters, for the pyromaniacs and flamethrowers to spread around.

Last row looks like it has 4 "artifacts" or something and 4 more Fire counters.

And that’s all I can tell from the picture of what the new counter sheet consists of. Few mystery counters here and there which are still unrevealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to help proof read the rules and counters. I can't say anything specific out of respect for the wishes of the designer and publisher. I will say that your guesses are not all correct.

Also, I'm very excited for the game after reading the rules, both for the new content and the changes the new rules will give to the base game rules and scenarios.

Sorry I don't have much to say and that this is more of a weak tease than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, no problem.

I was just engaging in idle speculation while waiting for the confirmation that my order has been shipped.

I have read everything I could about the game and await anxiously for a chance to finally play the game. The backround is just so spot on for my tastes. I like these wierd world war stuff a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how much informations you could get out of the small picture. Many of your guesses are spot on.

Maybe this picture from the LnL homepage gives some more insight:

I can't really give you more informations for similar reasons.

But the new units, weapons, skills, rules etc. will enhance the NW68 experience, with endless possibilities.
What I also love about HoD is the new map which depicts the town of Magdeburg and the surrounding areas: it's very well done and researched.

Maybe the free pnp game Autokross-88 can help to shorten the time until NW arrives.
The game is from the NW68 designer and is settled in the world of NW too.
It's a death racing, car combat game.
You can download it here:
Standard version: Google Drive
Printerfriendly version:Google Drive

Btw: 3 of the German/Austrain Drivers in Autokross have their appearance
in Heart of Darkness too. ;-)

ColHammer wrote:

I have read everything I could about the game and await anxiously for a chance to finally play the game. The backround is just so spot on for my tastes. I like these wierd world war stuff a lot.

I really love the background of NW and I'm excited how the story in HoD unfolds. I'm a huge fan of all this weird world war stuff too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Well, after seeing the very blurry picture of the countersheet, I can now see what counters I guessed right or wrong.

Arkanum Korps: I can just make out the name PzW 42 on the two vehicles. Panzerwerfer 42 should be SPA unit, but it looks like they have the transport symbol too. Are they SPA or transports (or both?).

The last counter in the top row. What is it? I can't read the name (I'm not asking for rules, just the name of the counter)

I still can't see the names of the German heroes, but I can make out that the "Owl" is AK assassin. Cool.

HADES:The anti-armour rifle turned out to be Tesla Rifle. So, my guess was close enough. The missing counter turned out to be some Trucks.

White hand: Chainsaw? Yeah, why not... lol. I guessed right about the number of Skinless, though.

Neutrals: Trackers (Stalkers? ), Some robe guys with flame symbols? 2 Mercs, 2 survivors and yes, neutral activation marker.

Looks like I was wrong about the "artifacts", just one. The rest look like to be some kind of weather effects.

Lastly, one question about the rules:

The HOD rules have weather and 3d6 events table. Do those affect just HOD scenarios or can they be used with NW68 scenarios too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:

Arkanum Korps: I can just make out the name PzW 42 on the two vehicles. Panzerwerfer 42 should be SPA unit, but it looks like they have the transport symbol too. Are they SPA or transports (or both?).

The PzW 42 is both, SPA and APC.

ColHammer wrote:

The last counter in the top row. What is it? I can't read the name (I'm not asking for rules, just the name of the counter)

This is the Gestapo.

ColHammer wrote:

I still can't see the names of the German heroes, but I can make out that the "Owl" is AK assassin. Cool.

It's Karl the AK assassin.

ColHammer wrote:

The HOD rules have weather and 3d6 events table. Do those affect just HOD scenarios or can they be used with NW68 scenarios too?

You can use them for the NW68 scenarios too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm, actually, I'm wondering how the SPA/APC hybrid (PzW 42) functions?

As a SPA, it cannot lead or assist in assaults/group fire, right? Does the APC portion lift this restriction or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
The PzW 42 receives +1 AV from transported infantry only when it is conducting direct fire attacks. That is, the PzW 42 must have direct LOS to the target when it is transporting an infantry unit to receive the +1 AV bonus. If it conducts indirect fire (against a target it has no direct LOS to) then it does not benefit from the bonus.

The PzW 42 may not participate in assaults or group fire. The APC designation does nothing to lift this restriction. The restriction comes from the fact that both of the self propelled artillery unit's weapons are fixed range (red and yellow superscript range value). The yellow firepower rating represents the effectiveness of the artillery rounds against soft targets. It does not represent machine guns and other small arms that would be used in an assault.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, that makes sense.

It makes the shock trooper rather weak though as they cannot be supported by armor when conducting close assault as the SPA transports cannot give the +2 AV to them... Well, maybe the flammenwerfers help there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrowers can be devastating. In addition, the Shook Troops have the Terror Skill: They can mark any unit in LOS as Shaken and Finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
are they finished after using the skill? Or can they assault after using the skill?

But yeah, that should help them to compensate not having armor support...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:
are they finished after using the skill? Or can they assault after using the skill?

An unit using a skill is marked as finished.
But still, besides the Terror Skill, they have a HE firepower of 6 with a range of 4 (the Firepower of a MG42), armor of 14 and flamethrowers.

ColHammer wrote:

But yeah, that should help them to compensate not having armor support...

Don't forget that they aren't restricted to the PzW42 only.
During certain missions, AFVs from other divisions are assigned to the Arkanum Korps, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
konsum24 wrote:
Don't forget that they aren't restricted to the PzW42 only.
During certain missions, AFVs from other divisions are assigned to the Arkanum Korps, too.

I didn't know that can happen. Then it's not so important how the AK are equipped.

I've only seen one scenario (rangers lead the way), so I don't have a clue how much more of the games rules are contained in the scenario special rules sections...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.