7 Posts

Axis & Allies: 1942» Forums » Rules

Subject: Submarine clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This week I played my first A&A1942 game and the rules regarding surprise attack and submerge are not completely clear to me but I think it works this way. During a combat round the subs can choose to eighter attack OR submerge and not both? This would mean that surviving other ships can fire back in a later phase? So this example should be correct?

1 German sub attacks 2 Brittish cruisers.
Round 1: the sub scores a hit during the surprise attack so one of the cruisers is hit. Therefor this one is destroyed. The next step will be that the defenders roll there dices: only the remaining cruiser can try to sink the sub (the destroyed cruiser can't roll a dice). He misses.
Round 2: the German sub decides to submerge and the battle is over.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my mistake. lolz

Oh, one mistake in the question.

"1 German sub attacks 2 Brittish cruisers.
Round 1: the sub scores a hit during the surprise attack so one of the cruisers is hit. Therefor this one is destroyed. The next step will be that the defenders roll there dices: only the remaining cruiser can try to sink the sub (the destroyed cruiser can't roll a dice). He misses."

Surprise attack happens before the normal round of battle. So, after the surprise attack both attacker and defender roll for their normal battle round. This mean that the submarine can fire again at the same time as the remaining cruiser. Unless the submarine decide to submerge. So, the step should be.

Before battle : Submarine surprise attack sink cruiser
Battle round 1 : Both submarine and ramming cruiser attack each other
Battle round 2 : Submarine decide to submerge, battle end

or

Before battle : Submarine surprise attack sink cruiser
Battle round 1 : Submarine decide to submerge, battle end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ok thanks then I was wrong So basicly submarines can have a free hit and submerge or attack twice in one round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, Sorry, your question is already correct, guess I didn't play this game too long. lol

"Specific to Sea Battles:In both steps 3 and 4, submarines that fired in step 2 cannot fire again
during the same combat round. If there is an enemy destroyer in the battle, submarines fire in step
3 or 4 rather than step 2. Remember that in sea battles hits from air units cannot be assigned to
submarines unless there is a destroyer present that is friendly to the air units in the battle, and hits
can only be assigned to transports if there are no other eligible units"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ok thank you. Everyone makes mistakes So surviving ship always have at least once the opportunity to fire back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.