Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the expansion for the first time last night, using both new maps.

Someone put a mandatory quest on me. I played Open Lord to get rid of it and be save for the rest of the game from any other attack cards. A little later I got to place corruption tokens on action spaces. Since I was starting player already, I sealed this space with corruption.

Now another player used Preferential Treatment, which yields some gold and the starting player token. I was surprised, not knowing there existed another way for the starting player to change hands.

Passing over the token I saw that Preferential Treatment is labelled as an attack card. So I started to look into details whether Open Lord protects me from losing starting player token or not.

Open Lord says you are protected from EFFECTS of attack cards. The rulebook also has some clarification that you are also protected from effects like losing buildings by certain cards but there is no full list of cross effects. Fellow players first argued that the card is not played on me directly, it is just a side effect to lose the token. That is right, but eventually we decided Open Lord protects me from losing it, since it clearly says to provide protection from attack card EFFECTS.

One further note from a fellow player was that even if I did not hold the token itself, a change of hands would also affect me in regards of playing 2nd or 3rd in line for instance. That is probably stretching it abit far when defining what an 'effect' is, but losing the token certainly is one, correct ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We remove Open Lord entirely. It stops discussions like the above and balances the game better.

Any card that makes you completely immune to be attacked, with no counter, and only a small disadvantage, is unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barring a clarification from the developers, I'd agree with it protecting from losing start player but not from changing the start player token between third parties. If we're going to say that A taking Start Player from B "affects" you, then essentially anything that can happen in the game can be argued to affect you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.