Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick rules question; the rulebook states that you MAY perform up to 2 actions per turn. This means that you can skip on or both, if you like. Right? Here's why I'm asking: in a recent game, Emma Goodluck used one action to move from one tile to the next during the end-game. The thing, however, was this. On the tile she went to was an Uber monster (Portcullis room, so no roaming or escaping). Since the free battle action only comes into play when a tile is revealed and a new monster is placed there, she did not have to fight the Uber monster upon entering (the monster was already there). She could not escape the tile and to initiate a battle action as her second action would mean that the monster would get a free attack on her since she had to be assisted to hit back. So she opted not to do a second action at all. Was this legal? The next player, Birodin, was on another tile and entered the Portculis Room on his first action so he and Emma could assist in battling the Uber monster, but was Emma within the rules to skip her second action or should the monster had gotten a free attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free monster attacks only happen in two instances:

1. The monster is revealed and the Hero is unable to attack it for some reason (like the Uber restriction).

2. The Hero spends an entire turn on a tile with a monster and did not attack the monster.

The Uber would not have gotten a free attack since Emma did not spend her entire turn with the Uber. Emma could've taken a second action, but was within the rules to skip her second action if she so chose. Either way, the Uber wouldn't have gotten a free attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good! THen we played it correctly. Good to know! Thanks for the answer!

When I think about it, wasn't there a correction of the rules regarding the Portculis Room in the FAQ for situations just like the one above? Emma got trapped on the tile as she wasn't allowed to to an escape action due to the tiles special rule and shecould not do a move action due to the monster being present. In this situation she's forced to kill the monster before she could leave the tile, but since it was an Uber monster, she couldn't. Trapped for ever unless assisted. Can't remember what the FAQ said though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to have the FAQ printed out and in the box on a shelf behind me.

Q: If a character is stuck in the Portcullis Room with an Uber monster, what the heck happens?
A: Bistro messed up on this one. The following rule now applies to the Portcullis Room, in addition to the tile's printed rules: If you are unable to make a battle action against a monster in the Portcullis Room, you can still roll to move away, but will suffer 2 wounds instead of 1 if you fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Q: If a character is stuck in the Portcullis Room with an Uber monster, what the heck happens?
A: Bistro messed up on this one. The following rule now applies to the Portcullis Room, in addition to the tile's printed rules: If you are unable to make a battle action against a monster in the Portcullis Room, you can still roll to move away, but will suffer 2 wounds instead of 1 if you fail.

That's the one! I also take it that this rule only applies to Uber monsters, since you should be able to make a battle action against any another monster.

Back to my original question: since the rules state that you MAY take up to two actions per turn, it should be legal to skip both your actions entirely? I don't know why you would want to to that, but it should be legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.F. Sesma
Argentina
flag msg tools
mb
martidem wrote:
Free monster attacks only happen in two instances:

1. The monster is revealed and the Hero is unable to attack it for some reason (like the Uber restriction).

2. The Hero spends an entire turn on a tile with a monster and did not attack the monster.

The question has been resolved but I want to expand on this because theres a third option...

3. Failing to do an escape action against a monster(page 8). But, mind you, not against a player.

P.D.: Also, the spider gets a free attack too, but that is nickpicking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dansun wrote:
Back to my original question: since the rules state that you MAY take up to two actions per turn, it should be legal to skip both your actions entirely? I don't know why you would want to to that, but it should be legal.

Yes, it is legal to skip one or both actions. Doesn't happen very often, but I've seen it from time to time, usually near or during endgame and when the First Player only wants to roam some monsters and doesn't want to get too close to danger. Or hanging around outside the Boss's Lair waiting for other players to take the Boss down and planning to swoop in and grab the Stone.

Yosiel wrote:
The question has been resolved but I want to expand on this because theres a third option...

3. Failing to do an escape action against a monster(page 8). But, mind you, not against a player.

Good catch. That's what I get for trying to work and answer questions on BGG at the same time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.