Subject: A clash near the border rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaucelme Chassagnoux
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s my first game, and I play solitaire. I choose scenario 1 (Sir Charles Oman’s view) and of course I decide to use rule 13 which makes the specific flavor of the system, considerably lowering the commanders’ control once the battle has engaged (and even before).

First the bands have to be displayed on the arrays. For the English, I choose to put 2 ranks of longbows in front (when available) to make their fire power tell, and then the gentlemen, the billmen and the remaining longbows. For the Scots, the gentlemen are displayed in front of the pikemen.

Then, plans have to be made for the battle. Staying on the top of the hill doesn’t give defensive bonus to the Scots, so the Scots receive the order to advance. The units are displayed in two lines, with the static (and ineffective) artillery in the center, Errol on the left supported by Argyll, Home and Huntly on the right in front of the the King’s unit. Bothwell stays in reserve behind the King. The English units also receive the order to advance.

The Scots draw the 0 chit for confusion, the English draw the Admiral chit, so the English right enters the battlefield first.

The commander of Argyll unit turns the advanceorder into stand. The King sends a herald to correct this, moving at snail speed. So Errol is rushing alone toward the advancing English right. It is now 15:00. The longbows perform their devastating fire : 3 gentlemen bands are eliminated. The English units have now to test pike fright before the mêlée engages: all the bands in the Constable unit brake, the whole unit routs. Home and Huntly now contact Howard, as Surrey and Lord Dacre advance.

King James now orders his unit to stand behind Home and Huntly. During the mêlée, Errol routs. The Moss Troopers (Lord Dacre) now perform a charge against the weakening Home and Huntly, routing them. It’s now 16:00 and the “score” is 3-1 in favor of the English.

Bothwell contacts the Guns which are eliminated. Surrey engages the King’s right. Stanley and the Admiral advance on both flanks.

At last the Advance order reaches Argyll, as the Admiral is already close to contact. A powerful volley from the longbows destroys 6 bands and half of the Scottish guns are destroyed. The short contribution of Argyll to the day ends in a rout. Things are going a little better for the Scots as Bothwell routs Howard.

The Admiral’s and Lord Stanley’s contribution to the battle ends here as the commanders can’t achieve to make the units pivot. The Moss Troopers fail the test in order to charge against the King. It is now Surrey’s turn to rout following the mêlée against the King.

Dusk is coming (17:30). After many twists, King Henry’s army ends the day with a short victory, 4 to 3. King James survives.

See also : Wargaming great battles of history
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.