Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A $100 gift certificate to CSI that was an xmas gift is sitting unused while I top off a free shipping order. It would have been used last month, but CSI refuses to restock mayday premium sleeves.

So at some point I decided there was a good chance the core set of Android: Netrunner would make it onto the order. I will have a hard time convincing my go-to opponent (wifey) to get into deck construction, but I am hoping the gameplay addicts her. But part of that decision was accepting the fact that I might not be buying too many data packs--again, I don't expect my wife to be so enthusiastic about playing to make that necessary.

So, of course, the last few days the CSI daily sales have included data packs. And I am considering pulling the trigger on my order including the data pack (with perhaps another $10 or so of filler), on the theory that I will nevertheless love the game and insist on buying data packs.

This is not consistent with my original plan. But is it the wiser move? Will I be able to resist the phenomenon once I've thrown in for the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a CCG it was all about the next new thing. I suspect the same thing will pull you towards those shiny new packages, but at least you'll know exactly what you're getting in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the question should be whether you will love the game or be able to resist the phenomenon, but what your wife will think. When I got netrunner, I figured I'd also be getting a bunch of data packs, but held off on buying any until after I'd at least played the base game. When the game fell flat with my go-to opponent (even though I loved it), I was happy I hadn't invested in any data packs before or at the same time as the base game, since I would have been out that money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it yet, but believe it or not there are two SOLO variants that appear to work well using the core set. One of the variants has you against the Corp., the other you are the Corp.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune!!! Right after wzdan makes an excellent argument for me to hold off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't buy a bunch of extra stuff until you see if your wife is into it. The datapacks will still be there in a few months if the base game hooks her. It doesn't really matter how much you love it if the person you plan on playing it with doesn't care about it. And really, I would recommend against expansions for a game that you haven't played yet yourself no matter what. I mean it could always fall flat for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Jorune!!! Right after wzdan makes an excellent argument for me to hold off!

if it makes it easier, the variant includes you prebuilding the AI deck. It was designed around just 1 core box. So that's all you need. The datapacks are useless at this time for solo play.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/922467/running-solo-an-andro...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925500/stand-your-ground-and...

Here's another that actually uses the components with a new set of rules:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/853642/cracking-the-code-sol...

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.