Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With BGG.con registration open I was wondering which STAW players were planning on going. Can we organize a massive tournament or something there? I figured it'd be nice to have a place to start BGG.con planning anyway.

I haven't decided if I'll be there or not yet. I've got several other conventions I attend and a few other trips possible, but my job situation might change this year.

So put me down as a maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down as a maybe too!

I went to BGG.con for the first time last year and had a blast. I even introduced some new players to Attack Wing and ran a mini-tournament with some prize support from the WizKids guy. I haven't made any definite plans yet for BGG.con this year, but I would definitely love to go again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going and will definitely run or help run something. I've heard WizKids won't be there, so that frees up the four hours each day I spent manning their booth last year.

One idea I had was to approach Funagain Games to see if they want to provide OP kits for events at the con. I was thinking Tholian Web and Arena might be fun, run each on their own day.

Another idea would be a very large single game. I've run one with 12 players and it was surprisingly fun. Slower than any other game of Attack Wing I've ever played, but not impossibly slow.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to go but I'm still trying to find a way to get to GenCon this year...so not sure I could swing both.

When will we know if WizKids is going to do any kind of AW tourney at GenCon? Seems like using the same format (even if WK isn't there) at BGGCon would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
I'm definitely going and will definitely run or help run something. I've heard WizKids won't be there, so that frees up the four hours each day I spent manning their booth last year.

One idea I had was to approach Funagain Games to see if they want to provide OP kits for events at the con. I was thinking Tholian Web and Arena might be fun, run each on their own day.

Another idea would be a very large single game. I've run one with 12 players and it was surprisingly fun. Slower than any other game of Attack Wing I've ever played, but not impossibly slow.

Any other ideas?

How about running missions tables? We could have several tables set up for different missions from the expansions for people to play.

Since most of my opportunities to play so far have either been teaching games, OP matches, and practice for OP, I haven't had a chance to try out very many of the missions. I imagine there are several other players in the same situation and would love an opportunity to explore this side of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WizKids says:

Quote:
Yes, we will be doing STAW tournaments at GenCon—I cant give you details of format right now, but can confirm that we will be holding tournaments.

So, what's a good hotel to say in for GenCon? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
WizKids says:

Quote:
Yes, we will be doing STAW tournaments at GenCon—I cant give you details of format right now, but can confirm that we will be holding tournaments.

So, what's a good hotel to say in for GenCon? surprise

We should start a separate GenCon thread. I've been meaning to, but was trying to force myself to wait until at least closer to the opening of event registration date (May 18th).

I'm staying over near the airport. Not sure what is still available that way, but it seems like if you want to use the GenCon shuttle that is the best serviced area. I plan on driving each day (10 minutes or so) so that I have more flexibility when I can come and go (and have a holding area for my... uhm... unnecessary yet at the same time absolutely necessary purchases lol).

Just patiently awaiting the call for people to help run their tournaments. I'm in!

It would be cool to organize some sort of event at all of these big name Con events. I'd love to meet a bunch of you! (ok, not all yuk whistle I kid! I kid!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to go to GenCon, but I just can't justify the expense. I can justify going to BGG.con because I can drive there from San Antonio and I have family in Dallas I can stay with instead of paying for a hotel room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've got the ducks lined up to be able to run Tholean Web on one day and Arena on the next. After I've played them I might change my mind about those exact scenarios, but we'll see.

Of course I'll be running it blind-buy.

Please don't hit me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:

Of course I'll be running it blind-buy.

Just as God intended
(By God I mean WizKids of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
OK, I've got the ducks lined up to be able to run Tholean Web on one day and Arena on the next. After I've played them I might change my mind about those exact scenarios, but we'll see.

Darn I wish I were going! Sounds fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite as obsessed with this game as I was earlier in the year, so I think I'm going to pass on running any kind of organized play at BGGCon. I'd be happy to play a bit, though, or just meet up with y'all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since BGG.con is next month, anyone planning on playing there still? I've played in all the OPs and would like to not play against/with Borg for awhile.

Some scenarios or depending on the # of players, we could do a big DS9 battle or since the big cube will be out by then, a Wolf 359 scenario.

Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.