3 Posts

Richard III: The Wars of the Roses» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a game for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stockholm player
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have played Julius Caesar about 200 times and consider myself a good player of Columbia blockgames. I like the simplicity of JuliusC combined with a great strategic depth. My question is, will I find the same challenge in War of the Roses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Caesar so all I can say is that you will be faced with a tough decision if you get this game.
Someone has to be the Yorkists......whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simonsmrt wrote:
I've not played Caesar so all I can say is that you will be faced with a tough decision if you get this game.
Someone has to be the Yorkists......:whistle:

For me, this is part of the fun. I like having a couple of games in my collection where one side has a slight advantage. It makes the victories the sweeter. Plus, as the owner of the game, I'll usually have more plays than the rotating cast of opponents, so it's like the slight handicap is already built in.

Anyway, if you like JC I think you'll really enjoy RIII. The biggest thing to be aware of is that combat is down right bloody. _ALL_ hits go to the strongest block at the time. In combat, you _will_ lose blocks.

I play a lot of Columbia Block games myself, and this one causes the most anxiety and excitement. I feel pretty worn out after a game of RIII.

Get it, and enjoy!

(oh, it's hands down the most beautiful block game out there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.