Subject: Question for the experienced players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a space-themed mat that is 30 inches by 40 inches. Will this work for the standard 100-point squad? Or am I missing something crucial that will unbalance the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aguirre
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, that mat should work fine. You are only six inches short one way, but you are four inches longer the other way. It's close to the same area, but just rectangular instead of square. If both players line up the long way, though, it may take an extra turn before anyone can shoot at anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
I have a space-themed mat that is 30 inches by 40 inches. Will this work for the standard 100-point squad? Or am I missing something crucial that will unbalance the game?

It will be fine. You just might engage a little quicker (even first turn) if you are using the 30" as the separation between you and your opponent instead of the 40"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play across the long direction (40" away from each other). Otherwise, it's possible to engage the enemy on turn 1, which takes away some of the starting strategy.

If you're going to be playing in official tournaments in the future, you might want to go with a slightly larger mat (no shorter than 36" in either direction), as the official tournament sized surface is 36" x 36".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was fast!

Which way do you guys recommend that we orient the play mat? With the short route or the long route between us? I want to be careful not to rob any ships of their advantages.

(As an aside, I remember "gaming life" before BGG. It was a lot less....certain So thanks for the input!!)

Edit: Jeff, you must have read my mind. I didn't see your post until I was posting my own. Thanks!

I definitely plan on switching up to the official play area. I don't want to build bad habits when flying my ships. But for now, I like having a clear play area other than the table itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As others said I would play the long was rather than the short way. I dont thing you will notice a difference other than it might take one more turn to get into combat. For quick games here we play on a 2x2 board and one of the semi local stores plays on a 2x4 board. So whatever you play on will work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Or you could just make a mark on the mat so it's 36". My felts are 36" by 60" and I just put a mark on them where 36" is. This took a considerable amount of time in customization what with the ruler and the markers and I used a few stickers and stuff. I'm not very handy so I had to measure thrice and cut once if you catch my drift. Anyway, if you have it in you you can do the measuring and such, might take a long, long while and really stress out the brain. I do recommend a third grade math textbook if things get too confusing for you, I had to bust out mine. Eventually I settled on just asking my six year old son who told me what to do and handed me some crayons. Unless my math is incorrect, two inches off from other side will do the trick. Anyway, good luck!

/Smart*ss

(sorry. couldn't resist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My third grade text book tells me that 30 inches is less than 36 and that no amount of cutting will allow me to "add to" the mat

Seriously though, I didn't want to cut from the 40-inch side and reduce the overall play area. Currently, with the smaller 30-inch side, the 40-inches keeps it closer to the total regulation play area.

Plus, the mat is not paper or felt. It's actually a thick board. (But game board would have sounded awkward for this post and would have invited smart a** comments - which apparently came anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started I used a lot of different sizes, but the 36 inch square seems just right for this game at 100pts. I think a bigger board works but can make the game longer as its harder to be forced to the sidelines and you often have more choices on what direction to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all honesty, a few hours on the weekend and a couple bucks will net you a custom 36"x36" board.

If money isn't a concern, order one you like.

I've played it on weird sized maps and it functions, but it is designed for the three foot square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play on it the long way so the 40" is stretched between you. Then, during setup, have one player start within range 2 from one edge. Range 1 is just under 4 inches, so if during set up you leave a blank strip the length of range 1 from one edge, you will in essence be playing on a 36" mat length wise. This will make the first two combat rounds go as intended by the design and if you ever play on a 36" mat, you won't be shocked by how quickly the ships might engage.

When setting up asteroids, make sure to keep them at least range 3 (not 2)from the edge where you will set up at range 2. This will better simulate accurate asteroid placement on a 36" mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.