BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Is there enough game here for a strictly solo player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I basically play board games by myself. Favorites include Robinson Crusoe (LOVE IT!) and Mage Knight Board Game (really like it).

While I've read a lot about the huge amount of content in this game, no one has yet spent much time talking about the solo version (Battlequest, I think it's called).

So for someone who only plays solo, is this a good investment?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
schnel wrote:
I basically play board games by myself. Favorites include Robinson Crusoe (LOVE IT!) and Mage Knight Board Game (really like it).

While I've read a lot about the huge amount of content in this game, no one has yet spent much time talking about the solo version (Battlequest, I think it's called).

Thanks.

I am an avid solo gamer:
Mage Knight, Pandemic, Galaxy Defenders, Sentinels of the Multiverse, 12 Realms, Gears of War, Last Frontier - Vesuvius Incident, Hidden Intruder, Level 7 [Escape], Lord of the Rings LCG, and more.

I *would not* buy BattleCON for the solo mode alone. Don't get me wrong, the solo mode is fun and I am glad to have it, but there are much better solo games to spend that amount of money on. If you even occasionally have a second player, the 1v1 mode is where this game really shines. The solo, 2v1, 2v2, boss, etc modes are great, but they are really icing on the cake. 1v1 is the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
cgrater wrote:
schnel wrote:

Thanks.

I am an avid solo gamer:
Mage Knight, Pandemic, Galaxy Defenders, Sentinels of the Multiverse, 12 Realms, Gears of War, Last Frontier - Vesuvius Incident, Hidden Intruder, Level 7 [Escape], Lord of the Rings LCG, and more.

I *would not* buy BattleCON for the solo mode alone. Don't get me wrong, the solo mode is fun and I am glad to have it, but there are much better solo games to spend that amount of money on. If you even occasionally have a second player, the 1v1 mode is where this game really shines. The solo, 2v1, 2v2, boss, etc modes are great, but they are really icing on the cake. 1v1 is the cake.

That's what I thought. Oh well...looks amazingly awesome.
Not to go off on a tangent, what are your favorite solo games? I gather that the Galaxy Defenders copy you have is Kickstarter since I don't think it's gone retail yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly for solo play? I would say no. You would still get a lot of game for your purchase - 30 characters to choose from, with all the various dungeons to run, with all the upgrades to play with if you have the Extended Edition - but not enough to justify a purchase over a game designed for Solo or Coop play.

Besides, just playing solo cuts out so much of the game you get that it feels almost criminal - you miss out on the 1v1 (the game's bread and butter), 1v2, 2v2, 3v1, and Boss Scenarios, which is a staggering amount of game to leave sitting on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Avid solo player, but can't recommend buying this strictly for the solo mode. It's fun, nice to have, and I look forward to possibly expanding upon it (officially or unofficially) but it's really meant (and plays best as) a multiplayer game.

My favorite solo games:
- Darkest Night (First edition) (my current coop/solo favorite)
- Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm (fantastic solo AI)
- Ghost Stories & Yggdrasil (they are fairly similar, so I usually list them side by side)
- Friday
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow... Probably not, but even if there was I'd feel sad knowing there was a copy of BattleCON out there being played by no more than one person at a time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papa Khann
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have to agree that I would not recommend the game based solely on solo play potential. If you ever find yourself with opportunities to make use of the various multi-player modes, however, then definitely go for it. Very fun game.

As far as solo player games go, you guys owe it to yourself to check out Navajo Wars. I'm not even a solo board game enthusiast. I picked it up mainly for the semi-cooperative mode. But the solo game (which is what it's designed for first and foremost) is awesome, imho.

Papa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Papa Khann wrote:
Have to agree that I would not recommend the game based solely on solo play potential. If you ever find yourself with opportunities to make use of the various multi-player modes, however, then definitely go for it. Very fun game.

As far as solo player games go, you guys owe it to yourself to check out Navajo Wars. I'm not even a solo board game enthusiast. I picked it up mainly for the semi-cooperative mode. But the solo game (which is what it's designed for first and foremost) is awesome, imho.

Papa

I'll check out Navajo Wars. Thanks for the tip! I never heard of it.

Sad to discover that I won't be able to take advantage of Battlecon. Oh well... First world problem indeed. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the comments that it's not worth it for solitaire play alone, but only because the two-player version is so much better. DungeonQuest is a solid, fun, and imaginative variant, but there are much better games if you want to play solo.

If you want to learn more about solitaire games I highly recommend joining the 1 Player guild and looking at the Solitaire Games On Your Table threads. They are amazing resources: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/986303/solitaire-games-on-yo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.