Bryan
Canada
Thornhill
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG,

I'm looking at getting either Keyflower or Bruxelles 1893.

Anyone who has played both, can you give your recommendation?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Need help deciding between two games
I have played Keyflower nine times (based on my recorded plays) and Bruxelles only once so there's probably not much input coming for me.

Wow, really tough choice. Based on my one play of Bruxelles, I find that there are some innovative mechanics in there, like how the market works and how when placing your worker, you're actually bidding at the same time. The fact that there's a bit of area majority thrown in when you place that worker is pretty neat. You really have a lot to consider when taking your action.

I think I can speak more about Keyflower since I own that game. I love Keyflower with two, or even with six players. The fact that it can handle six players is a huge bonus to me. Sometimes, there were times when we have 6 players at the table, and we want to play something strategic. Keyflower offers enough amount of strategy even with 6 players without losing any control.

The way I see it, the only interesting thing about Keyflower is just how unique the bidding is, but this is what actually makes me like it a lot. I think Bruxelles has a lot more stuff going on but still, the bidding in Keyflower is really what makes me coming back. I really need to play Brux more.

Honestly, I think, you can't go wrong with any. Sorry, not much input there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of both, but Keyflower is one of those games that seems to transcend the tighter categorization of many good euros like Bruxelles. Keyflower just has broader appeal, scratches more itches, provides more various plays. I really enjoy Bruxelles, but Keyflower is the smarter buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If artwork matters, then give the nod to Keyflower. The artwork on the tiles are fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone told me I could only keep two games... right now those would probably be the two. So tough choice for sure, but you probably can't go wrong with either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
If artwork matters, then give the nod to Keyflower. The artwork on the tiles are fantastic.
totally disagree here. Keyflower artwork is generally fine at best and some tiles the graphics are broken... Mis-scaled and poorly cropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Faulconer
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are in my top 20 currently, and I don't envy you having to choose between the two.

I've played Keyflower many times over the last year. It is a fabulous game with a unique bidding mechanic as well as a nifty tile upgrade system. Bruxelles was easier to learn for me even though I've only played it once. It does a great job with all of the various elements (like the resource rondel and paintings), and is in my opinion stronger thematically. Both games are beautiful to look at.

My advice: get both! If you can't, get Bruxelles first and then definitely make Keyflower your next acquisition after that.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it would be Keyflower by a mile. I consider Keyflower one of the top games of 2012, a year where a lot of good games came out. The innovative bidding system works very well, and there is a lot of tension deciding what you want to do, and what you want to do first.

Bruxelles on the other hand I played twice now, and it just doesn't grab me. There is a lot of mechanics in the game, and it works, but it doesn't seem to create much tension, it's quite dry. I've never been on the edge of my seat while playing Bruxelles.

So my subjective recommendation would definitely be Keyflower!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
Canada
Thornhill
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the replies!

I think I may go with Keyflower now and probably get Bruxelles sometime in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.