1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Do you guys play with mines? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
We were considering a rule to limit mines to home systems because people were complaining that they are overpowered for 2 resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting....by overpowered do you mean: causes turtling/discourages combat too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always use them, never seen them abused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that said, "Do you guys play with mimes?"

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I know this has a high chance of annoying the sauron out of people, but have you checked old threads before starting a new one?

This thread starts with a variant, but ends up discussing space mines in general.
It was still active fairly recently, you would have gotten a response if it didn't answer your question in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but people tend to forget about them.

Same is true about facilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people dislike them because they encourage turtling and discourage conflict (we like them for these very reasons).

Some people don't like them because they are quite ineffective and both the cost and opportunity cost is quite high.

I've never seen anyone complain they are overpowered. They are weak, but occasionally useful. Whether you see their impact on the game as positive or negative is distinct from this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play each race gets 2 mine counters and thats it.
One starts in the home system and is replaced if need be during the status phase for free if you are not blockaded. The other is build per raw. So only one mine out side of the home world for each race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:
We play each race gets 2 mine counters and thats it.
One starts in the home system and is replaced if need be during the status phase for free if you are not blockaded. The other is build per raw. So only one mine out side of the home world for each race.

If I may ask, does that really seem worth it? It seems like too much extra complexity and rules for only getting to place one minefield.
I think I'd just as soon skip mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone seems to assume Mines encourage turtling. I have seen games where the reverse happens. Mines are used to make back areas a bit securer against surprise thrusts while main forces are shoved into the middle for a bit of aggro.
To mitigate Mines, and add to the differences between ship types I play a variant where Destroyers have the ability to roll to sweep Mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Some people dislike them because they encourage turtling and discourage conflict (we like them for these very reasons).

Some people don't like them because they are quite ineffective and both the cost and opportunity cost is quite high.

I've never seen anyone complain they are overpowered. They are weak, but occasionally useful. Whether you see their impact on the game as positive or negative is distinct from this.

I'm curious; why does your gaming group want to encourage turtling and discourage conflict?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because we like civ building games not wargames. Turtling is a good thing IMO. If it's any help I also play control decks not aggro, in CCG's etc - it's a general mindset of what I enjoy and find fun, shared by most of my group.

TI3 is fundamentally a cold war game, not a war game. We definitely enjoy the civ side more than the combat side. In any game.

If we wanted a conflict based 4x-type game then we'd be playing Eclipse or Starcraft which do that better. Half the group wouldn't ever play such a game however, and several more (including me) really don't enjoy them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
And I know this has a high chance of annoying the sauron out of people, but have you checked old threads before starting a new one?

I'm for searching old threads as much as the next guy, but if I'm searching for a strategy or general discussion about an official rule, I absolutely would exclude the variants sub-forum from my search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Leifr wrote:
Yes, but people tend to forget about them.

Same is true about facilities.
Same thing with our group. Don't think anyone has ever felt the need to build one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to build them rarely, other players hardly ever.
They're only really useful again larger fleets - I'll build one if I have 2 resources extra and no production capacity, or if I have aggressively taken someone else's system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
We play with a limit of one mine per system, which cuts down on the cheese. Prior to that rule we banned play with mines for a while, because players would just build like 50 in a system and it'd be ludicrous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerrus wrote:
We play with a limit of one mine per system, which cuts down on the cheese. Prior to that rule we banned play with mines for a while, because players would just build like 50 in a system and it'd be ludicrous.

You realise that you are only ever allowed to build 1 per cruiser per build action right?

And you are piece limited to about 10 of them... (amongst all players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Armentia
Spain
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
Kerrus wrote:

You realise that you are only ever allowed to build 1 per cruiser per build action right?

And you are piece limited to about 10 of them... (amongst all players).

More precisely, 1 per activation with a cruiser not built in this same activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertcop2 wrote:

More precisely, 1 per activation with a cruiser not built in this same activation.

Agreed - I wasn't suggesting once ever, which my wording could have been construed as.

Given that they are slow to build (especially in opportunity cost), and even if you have 6 on a hex, explicitly only one detonates when an enemy fleet moves in, you almost never see multiples piling up.

I suspect this is a house rule to fix a mistaken interpretation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
robertcop2 wrote:

Agreed - I wasn't suggesting once ever, which my wording could have been construed as.

Given that they are slow to build (especially in opportunity cost), and even if you have 6 on a hex, explicitly only one detonates when an enemy fleet moves in, you almost never see multiples piling up.

I think what Robert was pointing out was that it's not "1 per cruiser per build action", it's one mine per activation, regardless of the number of cruisers (as long as there is at least one cruiser, of course), and that the cruiser(s) must have been there prior to the Production step (IE, if there were no cruisers in the system, you can't build a new cruiser and then have that new cruiser immediately deploy a mine).

If you have 1 cruiser or 6 cruisers in a system, you still can only build one space mine in the system during the Production step. So building a whole stack of mines in a single system takes several actions to do (which usually means several game rounds, since without an action card or Warfare primary, you can't activate the same system twice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
Interesting, no I wasn't aware of that. We'd been playing that it's one mine per cruiser, so if you stuff 5 cruisers into a sector you can build 5 mines, and also that you could use additional tokens for mines, much like ground forces/fighters.

Having double checked the FAQ just now, I see that this isn't actually the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I was also under the impression that it was one per cruiser also, although having said that, I don't think I've ever seen two mines built. By the time mines are useful, no-one is building Cruisers much (which is one of several reasons I like the rule - it gives them a use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerrus wrote:
Interesting, no I wasn't aware of that. We'd been playing that it's one mine per cruiser, so if you stuff 5 cruisers into a sector you can build 5 mines, and also that you could use additional tokens for mines, much like ground forces/fighters.

Yes, your mine issue doesn't actually exist, it was just an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
I have to say I was also under the impression that it was one per cruiser also, although having said that, I don't think I've ever seen two mines built. By the time mines are useful, no-one is building Cruisers much (which is one of several reasons I like the rule - it gives them a use).

The rulebook is pretty explicit about it, on page 10:

"Players may never produce more than one space mine during a single activation."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'll accept that, it was purely my assumption. As I noted above, I have never seen multiples from the same side be deployed in a turn. I'm not certain I've even seen multiples from the same side on a space, although it has probably happened once or twice.

I'm a proponent of mines being in the game, but I'm the first to say that they won't be used much. We typically see maybe 3 mines a game used (variance maybe +/-3) and most players will therefore never use them, those typically all coming from 1-2 players in a 6-8 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.