Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am an Attack Wing player who is enjoying the Flight Path system and I'm considering getting into X-wing. I have some questions about how to get started. I am interested in fighter vs fighter battles, and not the larger ships like the Falcon. I'd like to do swarm vs swarm battles, or swarms with leaders - something that's harder to do in Attack Wing but might be viable in a game focussed on fighter squadrons.

My table space is somewhat limited and I usually play on a 2'x2' or a 2'x4' area. This tends to be okay for casual Attack Wing skirmishes, which usually involve no more than 4 ships on the field at a time plus some terrain. Will it be a problem for X-wing given that I'll be using squadrons?

I'm guessing that the TIE Advanced and X-wing are probably pretty awesome ships, right? How are the others? Are there any starfighters that everyone likes to have or that everyone avoids using? (i.e., any that I should avoid purchasing?)

I am considering getting a few X-wings and one or two Y-wings for the Rebel fleet. For the Imperials, I was thinking of going with all TIE fighters and maybe one TIE Advanced.

Does this sound like a good way to go? Or would this be boring? Would this be balanced well against each other, or are the X-wings too advanced? Are there key upgrades I'm missing out on?

How viable is the TIE fighter in a game? Is it actually used, or is it only used by newbies who buy the starter sets?

Thanks for any help or opinions you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
See Fun family collection for $100.

Get two core sets, and then the small ships you like.

I bought one core set, tried the game out, then bought another (on sale). I then got Y-Wing and TIE Advanced (Vader!), and later B-Wing and TIE Bomber. These 10 ships already gives me quite a bit of variation, and the two core sets provides the required numbers and enough dice. (Only experience will tell you which ships you personally like to fly the best.)

Yes, TIE Fighters are viable, the Imperium is good at playing with quantity, but for casual play you want to vary and experiment on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG actually has an article that covers "what to buy" for new players.

I think most of us on BGG agree with the article's recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've come here for more ships and more importance in manuvers, you'll find X-Wing a welcome change. We have more ships on the table with fewer upgrades here. The attack-defense spread is also much different, so you'll see fewer ships on average disappear in one shot...

...unless your flying TIE Fighters and your agility dice hate you.

TIE Fighters here are the expendable cannon fodder. People say buy two core sets not just for the equipment but because many strong imperial lists need lots of fighters to throw into the fray. They are the cheapest craft in the game at this point and the Imperial Meta rests largely on having enough warm bodies living and shooting back at your enemies. That said, they are among the most maneuverable craft in the game and shed the most damage with their agility dice.

Welcome to the game! I hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

You're taking your first steps into a larger world.

Remember to Fly Casual!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

I'm guessing that the TIE Advanced and X-wing are probably pretty awesome ships, right? How are the others? Are there any starfighters that everyone likes to have or that everyone avoids using? (i.e., any that I should avoid purchasing?)

I am considering getting a few X-wings and one or two Y-wings for the Rebel fleet. For the Imperials, I was thinking of going with all TIE fighters and maybe one TIE Advanced.

Does this sound like a good way to go? Or would this be boring? Would this be balanced well against each other, or are the X-wings too advanced? Are there key upgrades I'm missing out on?

How viable is the TIE fighter in a game? Is it actually used, or is it only used by newbies who buy the starter sets?

Thanks for any help or opinions you can provide.

That would be pretty good, actually. The standard TIE fighter is basically the best Imperial ship. The TIE Advanced is not great (the consensus is it is slightly overcosted) but Vader is awesome. It's nice to have a single Advanced just to run Vader but I wouldn't get any more than that.

The X-wing is a really good ship for the rebels. The Y-wing is not as good as the X-wing but still fun to fly. The only other small ship that the rebels have currently which is as good as the X-wing is the B-wing, so maybe consider that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what you want to do. My goal is to have fun, have a good variety of ships, and do so spending the least amount of money possible.

For me, one core set with one each of the expansions I like makes the most financial and game play sense.

It's true that two core sets gets you two TIEs and an X-Wing, but not the good pilots that come in the TIE (Howlrunner)and X-Wing (Wedge) expansions. One core and one each of the TIE and X-Wing expansions is the cheapest way to get all the pilots.

Here's what I ended up getting:

1 core set
1 extra dice pack
And then one each of:
X-Wing
Y-Wing
A-Wing
YT-1300
TIE Advanced
TIE Interceptor
TIE Bomber

I've now got enough ships that I can't use them all in a 100 point squadron for the rebels and can barely use them all for the Empire.

The variety of ships is fun to play and I didn't spend a ton of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.