Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fire Broadsides! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Smee
United Kingdom
Limehouse
London
flag msg tools
mb
I'm thinking of adapting X-Wing's ruleset to a naval game, Games Workshop's Dreadfleet. Dreadfleet's rules are a little bit lackluster, and X-Wing's dogfights seems like the perfect thing to liven up those stormy seas!

Forgiving the obvious problems with the conflict in theme and mechanics (tall ships can't, as far as I know, pull barrel rolls), I have one question to see if this would be worth the trouble.

Are there any X-Wing miniatures/pilots that allow you to fire from the sides as opposed to the front? I know that the Millennium Falcon can fire 360 degrees and Slave 1 can fire forwards and backwards. I was just wondering if there were any others that can fire broadsides, pirate ship style.

If not, I should probably go and find a good naval game to study instead! X-Wing is just such a fun time, the pirate ship retheme just seems like a whole lot of fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to have a look at Sails of Glory, which is based on Wings of Glory which X-Wing is sort of based on
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smee
United Kingdom
Limehouse
London
flag msg tools
mb
Holy cow, I didn't even know Sails of Glory existed! This looks absolutely, brilliantly perfect! Thank you so much!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fatglottis wrote:
(tall ships can't, as far as I know, pull barrel rolls)


Au contraire. Proof:

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune wrote:
You may want to have a look at Sails of Glory, which is based on Wings of Glory which X-Wing is sort of based on



Actually, FFG claims it is based on some old car racing/ fighting game they made many years ago... They asked the designer of Wings of War/ Wings of Glory if he would do a Star Was variant, but then they changed their mind and worked with someone else.

A bit messy, but I think they have now sorted everything out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smee
United Kingdom
Limehouse
London
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting! Do you happen to know the name of this car combat game? It sounds like fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fatglottis wrote:
Interesting! Do you happen to know the name of this car combat game? It sounds like fun!


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8041991#8041991

Wreckage, obviously. That was 2003, so all these games are much younger than I thought!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smee
United Kingdom
Limehouse
London
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, thanks a lot! You know, if there's one thing I like more than Star Wars or pirate ships, it's Mad Max style car combat. I'll have to look into Wreckage!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
fatglottis wrote:
(tall ships can't, as far as I know, pull barrel rolls)


Au contraire. Proof:



Boxhauling - which was a real thing used by tall ships - isn't the same as a barrel roll, though. It's a k-turn.

(As an aside, that entire chase scene from Pirates is 100% believable if you postulate that the wind was very light and the ships were moving at about 2-5 knots. Hollywood sped it up (to about 15 knots, I'd guess, which is crazy-fast for sailing ships) but otherwise everything that happens is both reasonable and plausible.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:
Gonjeshk wrote:
fatglottis wrote:
(tall ships can't, as far as I know, pull barrel rolls)


Au contraire. Proof:



Boxhauling - which was a real thing used by tall ships - isn't the same as a barrel roll, though. It's a k-turn.

(As an aside, that entire chase scene from Pirates is 100% believable if you postulate that the wind was very light and the ships were moving at about 2-5 knots. Hollywood sped it up (to about 15 knots, I'd guess, which is crazy-fast for sailing ships) but otherwise everything that happens is both reasonable and plausible.)


I think you are thinking of the first movie. This scene is from the third, and its more of a barrel roll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smee
United Kingdom
Limehouse
London
flag msg tools
mb
I've just read news about the forthcoming Huge Ships expansion on the FFG website: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4663

Wouldn't you know it, the announced Tantive IV fires broadsides! You can see the range markers on the base: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/news/la...

What are people's thoughts if I use this base for all of the ships in my Dreadfleet? Would it be too unbalanced? I mean, X-Wing is a game designed around the little fighter ships. Playing a game composed only of Huge Ships might unbalance the game in some arcane way I wouldn't understand right now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that Sails of Glory is your best bet - it's already got rules for different cannon rounds (grape shot, chain shot etc.), wind direction, sailing etc. It's much more suited to sailing combat than X-wing (Or Man o' War!).

If you adapted the Corvette rules everything on the table might need to be that 'large ship' size. Use the Sails of Glory bases with old Dreadfleet/Man o' War models and you've got a much more workable system IMO.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I don't think x-wing is the way to go here. It's really closer to aerial dog-fighting than ship combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:
I still think that Sails of Glory is your best bet - it's already got rules for different cannon rounds (grape shot, chain shot etc.), wind direction, sailing etc. It's much more suited to sailing combat than X-wing (Or Man o' War!).

If you adapted the Corvette rules everything on the table might need to be that 'large ship' size. Use the Sails of Glory bases with old Dreadfleet/Man o' War models and you've got a much more workable system IMO.



FWIW I played Sails of Glory recently and found...that it needed another X-Wing pass. It was just a level more complicated than it needed to be to be considered an 'X-Wing' style game.

It's close and you're probably better off moding it, but for my money....it won't get any of my money.

Not a bad game, but too long for what it is. Not 'X-Wing' enough.

But it DID prove the point that you COULD do an X-Wing version of Naval combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval battles need extra complexity to feel like sail-powered ships operating in a complicated way. They react slowly, have to deal with physics and are complicated to operate.

Try adding inertia to X-Wing and see what the simplest physics does to you. Now apply it to the Tantive IV, with both sides fielding several of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.