Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Baekkelund
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So reading the rules, it says that auctions are kicked off by the starting player picking a license and making a bid at or above the min. cost...

It also says that if no licenses are purchased, that they are all cleared.

How are no licensed purchased ever? Can the starting player choose to just outright pass and is out of all the rest of the auction?

Or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When a player is to kick off an auction they can pass and will be out of the auctions for the rest of the round. If all players do this, no licenses will be bought. It is a way to control the length of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Baekkelund
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
When a player is to kick off an auction they can pass and will be out of the auctions for the rest of the round. If all players do this, no licenses will be bought. It is a way to control the length of the game.

So yeah, the thing I mentioned above....that's the key. That was unclear to me from a first reading of the rules.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aka Tankboy wrote:
Don't think I have ever seen a player pass on all Licenses on the first turn. If that were to happen, he would just be sitting on the Pier waving as all the other boats and their captains went fishing.

Later in the game, sure. There may be nothing available that you want or other players have made it too expensive to bid on.

I've done it. I think I won that game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
aka Tankboy wrote:
Don't think I have ever seen a player pass on all Licenses on the first turn. If that were to happen, he would just be sitting on the Pier waving as all the other boats and their captains went fishing.

Later in the game, sure. There may be nothing available that you want or other players have made it too expensive to bid on.

That's a bold move Cotton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
aka Tankboy wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but have been wanting to see if this is viable. You lose having a boat and captain in the first round and will conceivable be behind in boats for the first few rounds, but that just means you are losing the 4 VPs or so that the boat would have gotten.

The benefit is having a lot more cards than everyone else in round 2 to buy the exact license you want and a little more option on what cards you use in doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
aka Tankboy wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but have been wanting to see if this is viable. You lose having a boat and captain in the first round and will conceivable be behind in boats for the first few rounds, but that just means you are losing the 4 VPs or so that the boat would have gotten.

The benefit is having a lot more cards than everyone else in round 2 to buy the exact license you want and a little more option on what cards you use in doing it.

iirc I was last player during round 1. I felt the other licenses went too high and the only remaining License was a salvage yard, so that wouldn't let me launch a specific boat type anyway. I think I also might have launched an Inuit Fisherman too. No boat points, but it let me start fishing round 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.