BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Nexus Ops or Rex: final days of an empire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
corey chosy
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So my group is new to the more interesting side of board games and i was looking for a new DOAM game to replace crappy old Risk.
Rex and Nexus ops are the two I've narrowed it down to.
Though we are new to the more complex games we are eager to learn and can grasp most things pretty quickly.(but i do prefer not to have to try and sell them on something that will take hours and hours and hours to learn to play) My group is also very competitive and loves backstabbing, conquering, betraying, strategizing, alliances "letting the hate flow strong" and of course fun. Though I do plan on buying both eventually, i feel like i'm leaning toward Rex, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is quick and linear. It is not significantly more complex than Risk; one game and everyone will understand how to play. Like Risk it is all about the battles.

Rex is a much deeper game. It is (in my opinion) a much better game however. It only plays well with 5 or 6 players (there are ways to make it work with fewer but the game is not the same). In addition to that, Rex is deep; the strategies are not straightforward. It will require numerous plays to understand the best strategy for each of the factions. This is a serious version of Cosmic Encounter.

Rex is a great game and I love playing it however, Nexus Ops will be played (in our group) far more often than Rex as to have enough people and (more significantly) people who understand how to play is less likely to occur.

In my opinion, even though Rex is the better game, I would go with Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for the game that fits the Dudes on a Map style of game, Nexus Ops is the way to go. Nexus ops plays faster than a lot of DoaM games, is not very complex, rewards offense, and does not involve much diplomacy.

Rex involves much more diplomacy, takes a lot longer, and is more a political game than a classic DoaM game. I think from your description of what you want this may be the game that fits more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.