Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Greed» Forums » General

Subject: Might have backed, except your cynical 'early bird' model is too annoying. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you have some kind of scheme where you pretend your game is an overpriced certain amount, while in fact it's only a lesser amount.

Then, you create an 'early bird' scheme in which you jack up that price offering by a dollar or two every so often, maintaining the fiction that somehow this all amounts to a special deal, coz your pre-order customers - sorry, should I say 'backers'? - are special.

Presumably people rush in panting with excitement at this too good to be true offer, so they can get it while it's hot, right?

Blergh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is not the most exciting Kickstarter ever. I'd imagine even Queen knows this, as it is only running for a week and a bit without any goals.

This game is on my wish list, but the Kickstarter gives me little reason to rush out for this one. Wooden dollar signs simply don't make the difference..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
I passed on Queen's other KStarts for the same reason. Online stores will have it for cheaper in a few months, so why bother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
I passed on Queen's other KStarts for the same reason. Online stores will have it for cheaper in a few months, so why bother?

That might be true for Americans, but I will never get it cheaper than $25,-. including shipping. I backed mostly for the price, now I'm just not sure if I will actually like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:

That might be true for Americans, but I will never get it cheaper than $25,-. including shipping. I backed mostly for the price, now I'm just not sure if I will actually like the game.

My concern is that I already own 7 Wonders and Sushi Go. Do I really need a third drafting game in my collection? I think I'll need a few more videos and reviews before I can pull the trigger and get greedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
the_vinman wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:

My concern is that I already own 7 Wonders and Sushi Go. Do I really need a third drafting game in my collection? I think I'll need a few more videos and reviews before I can pull the trigger and get greedy.

Agreed. 7 Wonders fills that hole nicely so no need to pay extra for new and shinny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen Games gets away with it again.
Getting their pre-orders in with zero incentive for their "investors" outside the 4 countries mentioned.
And why would they care how we feel about it?
Kingdom Builder was a huge success despite it and this one is also a run-away success.
I am also sure the game will be cheaper in the stores later.

When are we showing our disapproval with our feet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hansbro wrote:
When are we showing our disapproval with our feet?

What makes you think those who disapprove aren't already doing exactly that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for what its worth, i think its MUCH quicker and easier to both setup and teach than 7 wonders, yet with much thinkier combos and higher replay value than Sushi Go, so i think it will appeal to people who like either game, yet provide a drafting game that is happily in between the two.

and i think the chunky wooden dollar signs actually improve the play experience more than I was expecting (perhaps because the standard dollar signs are super thin and cheap looking in comparison). its a nice KS bonus that makes me glad i pulled the trigger early, but nothing you can't do without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be backing any more Queen Kickstarter campaigns. Their communication is awful, and they are basically using Kickstarter as a pre-order system, which isn't what it's about. I love Kingdom Builder and Dominion, and this and any future releases from Donald X will be an automatic buy for me, however only once they reach retail.

I don't like the way Queen run their Kickstarters, I don't like the fact that they milk their 'Big Boxes' to death whether the game series is finished or not (Alhambra, Kingdom Builder), and I don't like the fact that the Queen game I backed on Kickstarter was available at Gencon to buy, and I have not received my copy yet. Heck, I don't even like the way they run competitions for their latest game, but actually give one of their older ones away as the prize. Cynical money grabbing from start to finish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magikmax wrote:
they are basically using Kickstarter as a pre-order system, which isn't what it's about.
Apparently not what you feel it should be about... but we don't get to decide - directly anyway.

After backing Greed and Kingdom Builder Big Box, I think I'll pass on future Queen campaigns too as long as they keep using the same template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will back new games, but I won't back Big Box editions.

I have heard people get frustrated with new companies and actually state that companies should have the game ready to go to the printer. Which would be a preorder system, so I have heard that it should be or shouldn't be. Personally I think it shouldn't be, but I don't really mind it when companies do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.