Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are clear in that if you are attacking a neutral port, and are blockaded, you battle, but if you win you still may take over the port. I can't see anything about following through with a sale after successfully winning against a blockade. Is it the same there? I kinda think no. The example on page 5 says, "Blue, as he can't go further, decides to sell 1 cube of wood in Algiers. Here again, Red declares a blockage and the sale cannot be completed. Blue must decide decide to end his turn or enter battle." But I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into the example, as the rules just don't seem very clear to me.

Related question: If you want to attack a port, and the owning player has a galley in the same region, the rules say you must attack the boat first, and then the port. Does that require two separate turns? Or do you say "I'm attacking the port", and if there happens to be a boat by the same player, you attack the boat and the port in the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must choose between battle and selling. You can never do both.
Exception: if your sell is blocked (=in fact you didn't sell) you can attack the blocker.

You don't have to declare that you attack that port.
You simply declare 1st galley and if you win with all then you can declare attack on the port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
You must choose between battle and selling. You can never do both.
Exception: if your sell is blocked (=in fact you didn't sell) you can attack the blocker.

This still isn't 100% clear to me. I choose sell, but someone blocks, so we fight. I win. Can I still sell? You called that an "exception", so I can't tell what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally you must choose between.
The exception is when you choose, but in fact you do not do the sell, you can instead choose to battle.
But if you fought at least on round, you can't go back to selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to be super clear:
1) If you choose to attack a port (neutral or occupied), and are blockaded, you may choose to fight the galley(s) or end your turn. After the fight, if any, you may not attack the port.
2) If you choose to sell to a port, and are blockaded, you may choose to fight the galley(s) or end your turn. After the fight, if any, you may not sell to the port.

That is to say, when a blockade happens, the player's choice is to fight the galleys or end their turn. But if they fight the galleys that caused a blockade (presumably they can fight all of them one by one, as if they chose the battle option for their turn), then their turn ends after that battle. No interaction of any kind in a port.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, your choose is only between fight or sell. If you fight the galleys you can always fight the port also. Another player can only force you to fight his galleys first.
2) Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok, got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
By the way, this thread reminded me of this solid game, which I hadn't played in quite some time. Got it to the table this weekend, and we had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.