Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Cache: How much is too much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Meng
msg tools
For reference:

So, my question:

As the Corp player playing against a Runner using Cache, how much is too much? If the Runner installs a Cache and decides to leave some or all virus tokens intact, do you purge? What if they have Grimoire as well? What if they play two, but then use a couple tokens?

How much is too much?

Edit: For the sake of understanding, let's assume there are no other virus cards in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Benjamin

Maryland
msg tools
First, a good runner would never give you more cause to use a Virus scan just by playing cash. If there was a chance they would lose the credits, there is hardly any reason to not to just take them.

Second, against a bad runner, the answer to this question is entirely dependent on what other viruses tokens they have. Because 3 click to deny the runner 3 credits is a bad trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Chi
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
If they have Aesops, I would probably never purge.

Purging about 6-7+ Cache tokens is reasonable.

Depends on the situation ofc. If the runner is quite poor and has no way of getting into my servers, the purge threshold can drop to 5+. And it will not always be possible for the corp to purge, depending on the game state, without putting too many agenda points at risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Think of it from the runner side - at what point would you actually be upset if the corp wipes counters? I would gladly use two clicks and two credits to make the corp skip a turn. I could even proceed to use my next four clicks to simply take 4 credits and end up completely even. So I agree - as a general rule, don't wipe unless they have at least 6 counters for you to clear.

Of course, if I've packed Cyberdex, then it's a completely different calculus. In another case, if they've burnt out their bankroll somehow with nothing but a cache or two sitting out there, it might be worth denying them the quick recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I just thought of another fringe benefit of Cache - protection when facechecking a tollbooth (or data pike). Be really good if you could pay X to place X tokens on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimoire installed on previous turn.

Click 1: Install Cache, +3 virus counters (+1 from Grimoire) = 4
Click 2: Surge, +2 virus counters (= 6)
Click 3: Surge, +2 virus counters (= 8)
Click 4: Pop it up for 8 credits.

Obviously not the most optimal situation, but just popped into my head.

But to answer the OP's question. If the Corp wants to wipe it and burn 3 clicks. Fine. I've time locked them for a turn.

If they don't, that's just as fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dreger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

I think click 4 could be another surge could it not? It doesn't take a click to remove the credits as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
homedrone wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Click 4: Surge, +2 virus counters (= 10)

Pop it for 10 credits.

I think click 4 could be another surge could it not? It doesn't take a click to remove the credits as far as I can see.

That's true! Nice catch! Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you waste a surge for two credits? For the click to draw and click to play, you could just have gotten two credits,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Why would you waste a surge for two credits? For the click to draw and click to play, you could just have gotten two credits,

xpiredsodapop wrote:

But to answer the OP's question. If the Corp wants to wipe it and burn 3 clicks. Fine. I've time locked them for a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
degamer wrote:

Probably because by this point, the Surges are already in your hand and you no longer HAVE the click you spent to draw them to make a credit with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
degamer wrote:

Probably because by this point, the Surges are already in your hand and you no longer HAVE the click you spent to draw them to make a credit with?

Ah, and after you've played the Surge, you don't have the click you've used to play it to spend any more either, too! So Surge in this situation is two free credits without any click cost whatsoever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
This card doesn't make much sense unless there are more cards coming that add virus counters to cards.

I can see that happening. Probably one of the currents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magicdave wrote:
This card doesn't make much sense unless there are more cards coming that add virus counters to cards.

The question would then be if it's really relevant to sacrifice an additional deck slot for cache when you could put the tokens on another virus instead, unless you have cards that add token to all virus simultaneously but wouldn't that be overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
acken wrote:
Magicdave wrote:

The question would then be if it's really relevant to sacrifice an additional deck slot for cache when you could put the tokens on another virus instead, unless you have cards that add token to all virus simultaneously but wouldn't that be overpowered.

Maybe a current that was something like Grimoire - "the first time each turn you add one or more virus counters to a card, add one additional virus counter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
acken wrote:
Magicdave wrote:

Maybe a current that was something like Grimoire - "the first time each turn you add one or more virus counters to a card, add one additional virus counter."

Same question still applies, would you really use the additional counter on cache for just an extra 1$ when you could put it on way better virus programs (or try to in the case of your hypothetic card) ?

I mean I can see some good ideas for a combination with noise and grimoire if the card can actively take the place of some other eco cards but I wouldn't waste +counters cards on it (purge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't entirely get the enthusiasm people show for this. I mean, it's ok. With a little synergy it turns into an easy mark (grimoire/kate), with some more synergy (Aesops) it gets a little better. And the ability to store credits is useful in some situations (and all the time for the new shaper ID). But I might be underestimating the benefit of the flexibility it can offer.

Interestingly, the nicest synergy I see might actually be with exile+scavenge. Just having one of these out turns your scavenges into easy mark + draw a card, which is actually pretty good. Especially since scavenge can sometime just sit in your hand doing nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me as a great economy engine for Noise. He typically already wants Grimoire and Aesop's Pawnshop, which would net him six credits and amill for one influence. What's better is that Sahasrara and Cyberfeeder are both useful and increase that to seven, and Scheherazade increases that to eight. Eight credits and a mill in a single click for one influence is very strong.

Nasir Meidan also likes this card, but he cares a bit more about the virus counters, so it's not as big of a return. It does nicely augment recurring credits for mid-run credit gain, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The point is that it's designed for Tag-me decks that rely on event economy. This bounces back from a Closed Accounts and can't be trashed as with Resources without hitting a program trash (or Power Shutdown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
skiesbleed wrote:
This strikes me as a great economy engine for Noise. He typically already wants Grimoire and Aesop's Pawnshop, which would net him six credits and amill for one influence. What's better is that Sahasrara and Cyberfeeder are both useful and increase that to seven, and Scheherazade increases that to eight. Eight credits and a mill in a single click for one influence is very strong.

Nasir Meidan also likes this card, but he cares a bit more about the virus counters, so it's not as big of a return. It does nicely augment recurring credits for mid-run credit gain, though.

Works for Exile as well, and doubles as a draw engine. Without the mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Surging a Cache has the same net gain of clicking for credits twice, so you basically did nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kroen...

Read the part in bold.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15114730#15114730
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magicdave wrote:

Indeed. I'm not currently excited about this card. It's reasonable with an Aesop's economy, but beyond that I'm just not sure when it would see play. I can't see Criminals using it because they have better options, and it seems odd to spend influence to splash a less-versatile Infiltration. Maybe in Noise?

I'm hoping that they don't come up with too many good ways to add virus counters, though. I'm already seeing far too many Parasites and Data suckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this being useful in a Noise deck with Sahasrara/Aesop economy. They also run with Grimoire. Awesome synergy there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For any 2 of Grimoire/Cyberfeeder/Aseop's/Sharazade Cache is pretty amazingly for economy. With all 4 it's the best card in the game.

As for purging, 4 counters is the realistic most the runner would leave out, and only if they were expecting a closed accounts. I might purge then, if I had a scored efficiency committee / Cyberdex Trial. Otherwise short of the runner installing 2 Cache and leaving 8 counters out, purging just for Cache isn't going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.