Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing Borodino with my wife and wondered what music would be appropriate. Aside from obvious choices like Beethoven's 3rd and the 1812 Overture, of course.

Military marches, popular music, compositions...

I have days of music for World War 2, but my repertoire for the late Classical, aside from symphonies, is lacking.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
But it was so...artistically done...
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of chamber music from that time. All of Patrick O'Brian's Aubry-Maturin novels take place during that time period, and music is a huge part of those stories. Borodino isn't a naval action, of course, but something like this might give you some suggestions for what was popular at the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Evenings-Captain-Aubrey-Maturi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
I have days of music for World War 2

I admit never once did I think about theme music while gaming. That's a great idea! What World War 2 music do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Marseillaise, arranged by Berlioz is a must. You'll hear it all day at our house every July 14th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
La Marseillaise, arranged by Berlioz is a must. You'll hear it all day at our house every July 14th.

Berlioz is hardly period! But I will download it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Napoleonic-Wolfgang-Amadeus-Moza...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
Neopeius wrote:

I admit never once did I think about theme music while gaming. That's a great idea! What World War 2 music do you use?

Oh, you must! It adds so much to the experience.

I have an enormous collection I've downloaded over the years, most of it legal, but some of which whose legality I've not yet confirmed. Now that I'm gainfully employed, I'm going to go through all of my music and make sure it's all paid for (where not public domain).

I have it all sorted by year and country so I can have a "radio station" (actually, a real radio station--I have an AM transmitter) appropriate to the conflict.

For American stuff, I have several Swing CDs I bought many years ago. You can find compilations pretty cheap. I also have a lot of ripped old 78s that I doubt anyone cares much about (there's a website online where a fellow ripped ALL of his collection of thousands of old 78s... no one's shut him down over many years--he's even been in the news).

For French stuff, it's mostly chanson--Jean Sablon, Rina Ketty, Lucienne Boyer (*swoon*). I downloaded the works of Django Reinhardt, which is a collection I'll definitely be paying for soon.

For British stuff, there's actually an on-line, public domain collection of swing with hundreds of songs. I can't find it now, but it looks like most of the songs are downloadable from archive.org.

For German stuff, I found a number of albums of Nazi songs and stuff ripped from old old 78s. I've also found a number of popular songs that I've gotten from youtube. I'm pretty sure those are all out of copyright.

For Russian stuff, I bought a CD of popular music, but most of my collection comes from this enormous Russian-language torrent I found ages ago. It has HUNDREDS of songs. I imagine some of the stuff *is* still bound by copyright. I know, for instance, Katyusha needs to be licensed. On the other hand, I don't even know where to start looking for this stuff. And I own a licensed copy of Katyusha--it's on my Girls und Panzer soundtrack

Anyway, the bottom line is I have days of music. I can't tell you how fun it was to play Battle of Moscow with hour upon hour of period Red Army marches and popular songs coming out of our 38 Philco Upright (radio), the door open to let in the winter chill, and me grinning at my blitzkrieging opponent because I knew he couldn't take Moscow and Leningrad in time to win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
Neopeius wrote:

Since we play all our games in my dedicated game room, where I have a nice sound system hooked up to my computer, we always listen to music in the background. I have a massive MP3 collection we listen to as well as streaming on Pandora. I often play thematic music for the game we're playing. Movie soundtracks are the favorites.

For WWII, I highly recommend the Medal of Honor video game soundtracks. They are simply amazing full orchestral. The Frontline OST is good, but the Definitive Collection is the best. The Chicken Run OST is a hoot as well, with it's Great Escape riffs.

Back on topic...

Check this thread from Armchair Warrior on this very topic:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82212

I will also put in a vote for The Patriot soundtrack, the one with Mel Gibson. It's an AWI movie, but the music is very martial and enjoyable.

Most of the time, we are playing Napoleonic miniature games at our house. I always ask what everyone wants to listen to while playing. Believe it or not, the soundtracks from the Lord of the Rings movies gets requested more than anything else! surprise

----
My miniature, board, and card gaming blog: A League of Ordinary Gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

I had to grapple with this myself recently.

"What do you think of my solution?" - Spock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beethoven's Wellington's Victory would be thematic (well, not for Borodino) although it is second rate LvB.

Haydn's Nelson Mass matches the era and us quite good, although it might not sound right for wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Haydn or Mozart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
There is this playlist on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJTGm1Hm-76qTJ9NLIJAO...

It appears to be some of the contents of an old Nonesuch LP: Military fanfares, marches & choruses from the time of Napoleon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got a turn table this is great
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Fanfares-Marches-Choruses-Nap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
I am playing Borodino with my wife and wondered what music would be appropriate. Aside from obvious choices like Beethoven's 3rd and the 1812 Overture, of course.

Don't forget Beethoven's "Emperor" piano concerto, #5, IIRC. It has some dramatic and even rousing bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Griffith
United States
Monkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the soundtrack to the Sharpe series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred flintstone
msg tools
I can't game without period music. It just is so appropriate. I have found Youtube to be the go to place. Military music of all nations can be found. The U.S. Cival War can be quite surprising when you listen to some of the lyrics. But in answer to your post I always go for the soundtrack from the movie "Waterloo" that starred Rod Steiger/Cristopher Plumer early '70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HungaDunga is right. Anything by Haydn and Mozart. Also anything from the Baroque period. Mozart had recently rediscovered JS Bach and so this was in vogue for the armatures of music at that time. Jean-Phillipe Rameau, Jean Baptist Lully,Francois Couperin...these are all native composer to France and so quite popular at that time. Much anything from the Rococco, as this was the era fazing out.
BUT...some good Led Zeppelin from the Physical Graffiti era is quite nice!!
Try Kashmir.
Genesis, Battle of Epping forest.
E.L.P., Trilogy.
If all else fails to put you in the mood, Jean-Philippe Rameau will hit the spot, also early Beethoven string quartets. Remember the classical period was moving in. Out with old, in with the new! So not to much harpsichord ok! Piano was the new kid on the block, though it didn't quite sound like what you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old 33rpm LP of French military marches from the time of Louis XIV to Napoleon (not the Nonesuch one.

This is one item on it:
The March Of The Consular Guard At Marengo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdH1vu2XYrk

if you like I will try to track (geddit?) down some of the other relevant pieces.

If you insist:

A short drum piece: Rigodon Des Manchots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDEVxRIKKc

Marche Des Eclopes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Iwzl4vEto

Michel Strogoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCQZVz8PMI

Le Chant Du Depart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvpg-AT0Ryg&list=PL107ACC6C5A...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
superflat wrote:

Berlioz is hardly period! But I will download it...
Fair enough, but it's fun and rousing. If you don't like it, I'll pay the .99 with geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions everyone!

Anyone have any sources for folk/popular music?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the soundtrack from Master and Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Neopeius wrote:
Anyone have any sources for folk/popular music?

I suspect you will have to search in foreign parts for folk music specific to the 1812 campaign, or even to the Napoleonic wars in general. And it may well be that not much survives. I know that in the 19th century, when people like Child were busily collecting ballads in Anglophone countries, German musicologists considered folk music was not worthy of their notice, so it mostly disappeared. I suspect, with no real evidence, that the same was true in Czarist Russia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danpancaldi wrote:

BUT...some good Led Zeppelin from the Physical Graffiti era is quite nice!!
Try Kashmir.
Genesis, Battle of Epping forest.
E.L.P., Trilogy.

I alternate between music period to the subject and music period to the game (i.e. 1972) *That* I have plenty of. My vinyl collection would make a hipster weep.

Not that I'm a hipster. I was into vinyl before they were. And I wear glasses because I'm nearsighted. And I only have facial hair because...

Damnit, am I a hipster?

No wait. I don't drink PBR or wear flannel. Hah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More relevant to the Peninsular War than Borodino, but the Sharpe soundtrack is a great mix of marches and folk music relevant to the period.....it's a favourite even away from the gaming table.

Not sure it was legal but it looks like the whole album is uploaded to youtube if you want to check it out. Link here.

Brent.

Edit: Sorry, already been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget Wellington's Victory by Beethoven. Also Marche Slave by Tchaikovsky. Mars from the Planet suite is good too, by Holst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.