Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shane Charman
Australia
Maryborough
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmb
My family and I are classic board gamers. We play agricola, ticket to ride, Alhambra, qwirkle, carcassonne often. I play a lot of mtg with my gaming group.

The closest thing to war games I play are risk, walking dead risk, zombiecide and x wing.

What would be a good war game I could get to start? I would play predominantly with my 11 yr old son. I would also play with members of my gaming group.

Should I buy into war hammer? Is dust a good choice? Or are there some other great war games out there to start me off?

Looking forward to some recommendations.

Charmbo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion just got the golden geek for best war game. It's beautifully historical, and sliiightly like risk. Very suitable for 11yr olds to understand. Potentially a little light but on a par with memoir 44 in that area whilst being a very different game to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
charmbo wrote:
Should I buy into war hammer?

It's a massive investment in both money and time (if you want nicely painted figures). I played extensively throughout my teen and finally sold off all my minis last year. I've honestly not missed them.

Currently, if I'm playing a minis game I prefer a skirmish type game, but from what I understand WH units have grown substantially in recent editions (I read a strategy guide in which the author, a high ranking tournament player, had come up with a formula for calculating minimum unit size for each unit in the game and many of them were 100+ models per unit!. I played 3rd-5th Ed and my whole High Elves army was less than 100 figures). I've not played Dust, so I can't comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 seems like the best choice. Easy to learn, very exciting and has lots of history in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing A Few Acres of Snow into the ring. It's a combination of Euro and Wargame. Just don't read the forums for this, like, ever... they might tell you strategies that you want to figure out for yourselves, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
Memoir '44 seems like the best choice. Easy to learn, very exciting and has lots of history in it.
I admit I've never played any of these, but for the command and colors mechanism, battlelore and command and colors: ancients are apparently seen to be better options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try out war gaming without dropping a large investment in to figures glue and paints there are plenty of good boxed games out there.

Memoir 44 has already been mentioned and there it's distant cousin BattleLore (Second Edition) which use a similar rules system but different settings.

Warhammer: Diskwarsis a fast playing war game with four factions in the core box and future support due in June to expand it.

If you want to go down the miniatures route might I recommend Warmachine or Hordes by Privateer. The scale well from small to larger scale games and have nice core boxes to start things off. Personally I feel they are better rule sets than GW current offerings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
1775: Rebellion just got the golden geek for best war game. It's beautifully historical, and sliiightly like risk. Very suitable for 11yr olds to understand. Potentially a little light but on a par with memoir 44 in that area whilst being a very different game to it.

+1 for 1775: Rebellion. I'm in a similar situation, having had no war games in my collection. I played 1775 about a month ago and haven't stopped talking about it. Just ordered it yesterday. It's playable by 2 to 4 players, so it would work well 1 on 1 OR with a small group. It's sister title, 1812: The Invasion of Canada, is very similar, but can play up to 5.

Another +1 for A Few Acres of Snow. I researched this game and it's not your typical war game as it features a deck building mechanic. The downside is that it's strictly 2-player, so you'd have to get something else for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rantinronrevue wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

+1 for 1775: Rebellion. I'm in a similar situation, having had no war games in my collection. I played 1775 about a month ago and haven't stopped talking about it. Just ordered it yesterday. It's playable by 2 to 4 players, so it would work well 1 on 1 OR with a small group. It's sister title, 1812: The Invasion of Canada, is very similar, but can play up to 5.

Another +1 for A Few Acres of Snow. I researched this game and it's not your typical war game as it features a deck building mechanic. The downside is that it's strictly 2-player, so you'd have to get something else for your group.

Good to hear Ron! Where did you end up finding it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rantinronrevue wrote:
As I understand it is officially deemed "broken". Obviously if you don't find the flaw it's irrelevant but I think I'm going to skip it (despite the significant appeal of the theme and the use of deck building as a side mechanic) and wait for Mythotopia which is a rejig of AFAOS due out in a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 1775
+1 Memoir 44
+1 Command and Colors Ancients (my 11 year old's favorite)

(In order of increasing complexity, but even CCA is light)

You might also want to consider "Hold the Line."

Note that 1775 is an area-control wargame, a la Risk, Axis and Allies.
The others are tactical battlefield games, where the objective is to win a particular battle, not the entire war.
As such, you generally start with a fixed number of units on the battlefield, and must navigate terrain, position units for line of site and range, etc.
Two entirely different feels IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous recommendations of 1775 and Memoir. If your gaming group goes up to 5 then 1812: The Invasion of Canada is a good one as well with similar mechanics to 1775.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Griffith
United States
Monkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Memoir 44.

It's hard to discount the toy factor. I think Ancients is a better version of the system but Memoir is faster, easier, and the toy factor is huge.

I'm also partial to Quebec 1759 as it's probably the easiest block game to learn and it's probably the fastest one to play out there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 is a good warGame. I like it a lot but its very much a fun kickabout.

If you wanting something that more tactical a good place to start would be Awakening the Bear in the Conflict of Heroes set. Its very straight forward to learn how to play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned games with miniatures, I'll say Battlelore 2nd edition as an entry point. 1775 is also very good but might be more boring to a 11-year old compared to BL2. Memoir '44 can be played on Steam or Days of Wonder's website. I would recommend checking it out there before buying. I really didn't like my plays of it. BL2 has a better take on the C&C system so that is easier to recommend. Conflict of Heroes, Hammer of the Scots, Sekigahara are also very good wargames used as entry points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles or better yet Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer is about the easiest squad level tactical wargame to get into.

And my word of advice (coming from a guy who has been playing Games Workshop Ltd. games since 1998) is NOT to get into either WHFB and 40K now. The company's business model now is similar to MtG where the rules updates are purchased similar to booster packs (via its so called data slates releases) and while the models are great the game system is quite convoluted and most of all VERY expensive. This has turned me off and I'm honestly VERY disappointed with GW. I'm glad I have discovered boardgames since this has allowed me to open my eyes and "get out of the trap" of GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles or better yet Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer is about the easiest squad level tactical wargame to get into.

This is a good choice.

When I teach my son, I will use Squad Leader (not ASL) due to it's graduated rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: D-Day is a good choice to play with your son. Easy rules, not as long as the real A&A (not multiplayer, however), plastic pieces instead of counters, which might be a plus for your son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you're after:

For more boardgamey experience check:

If you want light to medium light Fantasy War with miniatures:
BattleLore (Second Edition)

If you want light to medium light World War II with miniatures:
Memoir '44

Light very cool WWII game coming out very soon:
Heroes of Normandie

They all have the toy factor you might be into.

If you want full scale miniatures game look into:
- Warmachine/Hordes
- Malifaux
- Wild West Exodus
- Rivet Wars

But I would really advice starting off with the more cost effective board game box ones.

Oh, Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set is a board game miniature game but the same miniatures can be used for Dust Warfare: Core Rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. I just started playing it, but it's easy to learn and has some cool mechanics that Euro gamers probably would find appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give a good recommendation, I think we might need a little more information. What period of history are you interested in? Would you prefer fantasy/sci-fi to a historical theme? Are you interested in 2 player games or would you prefer 3+ player games.

As to Warhammer, I would advise against it. If you enjoy the miniature aspect, Check out Warmachine by Privateer Press. It's a lot cheaper and a better game(in my opinion). It has really good support and is a lot of fun. If you enjoy the setting of Warhammer, check out Chaos in the Old World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
If your son has any interest in WWII, you really can't go wrong with Memoir 44 as your first "wargame." My #1 game and favorite game to play with my 8-year-old son. Battlelore is good if your son prefers fantasy - it's only a little more complex.

1775 and 1812 are great if you're more likely to be playing multiplayer, but they are a bit too themeless to engage my son. Pushing cubes around and flipping control markers isn't exciting enough.

For minis, Heroscape is the best choice for toy factor if you can find a copy (or 2 or 3). My son spends a lot of time just using the terrain and playing around with the minis, making up his own wargames. So, so disappointing this game is OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:
charmbo wrote:
Should I buy into war hammer?

It's a massive investment in both money and time (if you want nicely painted figures). I played extensively throughout my teen and finally sold off all my minis last year. I've honestly not missed them.

Currently, if I'm playing a minis game I prefer a skirmish type game, but from what I understand WH units have grown substantially in recent editions (I read a strategy guide in which the author, a high ranking tournament player, had come up with a formula for calculating minimum unit size for each unit in the game and many of them were 100+ models per unit!. I played 3rd-5th Ed and my whole High Elves army was less than 100 figures). I've not played Dust, so I can't comment.

Go to this site. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=...

It's the GW site for their old games. They have downloadable rules for several games. Look at Mordheim and Necromunda. They are small skirmish fights for Fantasy and sci-fi respectively. They are fun, and they are free. Now if you like what you see, dig up some minis (even toy soldiers work fine,) and try them. Don't pay the insane cost for the official minis, that way lies madness and poverty.

I have a Blood Bowl (another game on the site, but a little more different,) that is just Esci and Airfix Roman soldiers with their weapons cut off. It looks nice, and stands out.

My Epic 40k forces are reinforced with A&A pieces and Fortress America tanks. Proxies are fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For light wargaming I recommend Ogre (not the massive deluxe version, the basic game is fine,) Dust, and Risk 2210. 1775: Rebellion is also a good light wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Freitag wrote:
Go to this site. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=...

It's the GW site for their old games. They have downloadable rules for several games. Look at Mordheim and Necromunda.

+1 this, it's a very, very good idea.

I never knew they had the rules up for free. I remember Necromunda being a lot of fun when it was released. Just this week i found the rules and a lot of rosters etc in an old file and was thinking I'd like to give it a go again. As soon as work's printer is unguarded I'll run off a copy and tell my boy to grab his army men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.