1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Wave 5 - Imperial Star Destroyer pretty please :-) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I really want to see an Imperial Star Destroyer in wave 5 as well as the Assault and Missile Gunboats. T-Wings and R-41 Starchasers could be used by the Rebel side, and also transport shuttles. I'm a fan of the imperials and my collection reflects this. If the rebels are going to have a corvette (Tantive IV), then the Imperials should have a Star Destroyer. It would look epic in the game, I don't care if it's there just for decoration so long as it looks menacing and awesome.

I really don't want to see prequal ships in this game as they don't suit the time period. Prequal miniatures should have their own series separate from X-Wing. I see this is a hot subject for many people as is the argument between EU and OT. I'm all for EU as there really weren't too many ships in OT to choose from in Space Combat. I'm also a big fan of TIE Fighter: collectors edition (this can be played for free on freeempiregames.com), so I have an awareness for other types of craft in EU and am totally stoked that the TIE Defender is being released.

Does anyone have any other ideas for craft for Wave 5?

Please, no arguing about prequels and EU vs OT and license rights. This is boring. I am very interested in legitimate ideas you may have for wave 5. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AT-AT, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, Turrets.

Alternatively, a campaign book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabre X13 wrote:
If the rebels are going to have a corvette (Tantive IV), then the Imperials should have a Star Destroyer.

They really shouldn't. The Corvette is pushing it a little by being as big as it is.

There are many myriad speculation threads about what's coming out next. My hopes are for the R-41, Assault Gunboat, T-Wing, and TIE Avenger for wave 5.

Really hope we don't see the Outrider, or some of the stupider entries from Star Wars Galaxies :\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for the K-Wing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was kept to scale wouldn't it be the size of a car?

14 to 15 feet... probably be easier to sell a tarp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
[q="Sabre X13"]I really want to see an Imperial Star Destroyer in wave 5 as well as the Assault and Missile Gunboats. T-Wings and R-41 Starchasers could be used by the Rebel side, and also transport shuttles.[/quote]
The T-wing and R-41 are both pretty obscure, and I'm not sure what niche either would have. The T-wing is basically an A-wing, and the R-41 is roughly analogous to the Z-95; what would you do with them that's different from what's already in the game?

And while I'd be happy to see either the Assault Gunboat or Missile Gunboat in the game, they're awfully similar to one another in body style, so I'd expect to see one or the other.

But the Star Destroyer... (sigh) At about half the scale of the Corellian Corvette (which would be about 1/4 the scale of the fighters), your Star Destroyer would be the size of a person. How do you think it's going to work out to move that around the table? It would have to be the table. And it would be fantastically expensive to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:

Sans Fi made a post just the other day about the scale for the huge ships. If FFG is in fact using a sliding scale for capital ships, a Star Destroyer is actually doable.

the post is here in the general section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RogueKnight wrote:
AdmiralCrunch wrote:

Sans Fi made a post just the other day about the scale for the huge ships. If FFG is in fact using a sliding scale for capital ships, a Star Destroyer is actually doable.

the post is here in the general section.

Even if they are using a sliding scale, a Star Destroyer at the size of (or slightly larger than) the Corvette, would just be silly. The corvette and transport, although smaller than they should be, are still believable in scale to the rest of the ships in the game. There is no way to achieve that with a Star Destroyer.

I love them too - they're the iconic capital ship for the Imps, but they just don't work in this game. They're too big, and shrinking them down makes a mockery out of them.

I love the idea of a campaign/mission book, and a ground combat expansion for Hoth - everything involved there could be kept to a relative scale.

I'd also absolutely love to play a game like this featuring the large capital ships. I'm sure at some point they'll consider a similar game at a different scale where we can throw squadrons of fighters along with Mon Cal cruisers and ISD's at each other. I'd buy into that in an instant.

Having said that, I do feel the Imps need some love in the larger ship department. There's no reason why there couldn't be a set of cards to allow the CRV to be used as an Imp ship - they were in common usage by both factions. I also think we'll see one or more of the small Imp capital ships feature in the future, but not a model of the ISD.

On the other hand, if those modular board sections make it to release, there's no reason why they couldn't have a set of those featuring the surface of an ISD to fight over - that could be pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i think unless the game will be played in a parking lot, keep the ISD as a playmat, and add some turrets or something.

Although I think playing in a parking lot with big and small ships would be great as an event. I'm sure plenty of us are up to the task of making a near-scale ISD for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
SeraphTC wrote:
Even if they are using a sliding scale, a Star Destroyer at the size of (or slightly larger than) the Corvette, would just be silly. The corvette and transport, although smaller than they should be, are still believable in scale to the rest of the ships in the game. There is no way to achieve that with a Star Destroyer.

Exactly. I think people tend to forget just hoe large the Star Destroyer really is.

That nice ~13" model, would have to look like it could fit in a bay inside the other Star Destroyer. How could that even be workable? Would it come with a forklift to move it? Even with a sliding scale, it would have to be so far off scale it would look utterly ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:

Star fighters don't work in atmosphere as well, so it would have to be treated as a new game. We can't ignore physics, after all.

I'll agree with the campaign book, but give me a few hours and I can post the one we use. Alternatively you could check out our facebook page which includes general rules and individual missions. https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsXWingMiniaturesMaine

Quote:
That nice ~13" model, would have to look like it could fit in a bay inside the other Star Destroyer. How could that even be workable? Would it come with a forklift to move it? Even with a sliding scale, it would have to be so far off scale it would look utterly ridiculous.

We've talked about using just the edge of the player area to represent a small portion of a star destroyer. Include so turrets and it wouldn't work so bad. Maybe a cardboard "wall" that you can put up and play next to. Could even include some epic rebel ships on the other side to have a battle taking place between two epic ships, with turbolasers firing down on the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What would people think if they adapted an "Epic" X-Wing game that focused more on capital ship battles than star fighters? No, the two games would not be interchangeable, but it would allow FFG to produce some of these iconic capital ships. Wizards of the Coast really missed the boat with their Starship Battles game, but I think that FFG could do it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
What would people think if they adapted an "Epic" X-Wing game that focused more on capital ship battles than star fighters? No, the two games would not be interchangeable, but it would allow FFG to produce some of these iconic capital ships. Wizards of the Coast really missed the boat with their Starship Battles game, but I think that FFG could do it right.

Yeah, if you want star destroyers, you really need a separate game, a la Star Trek: Attack Wing built around Star Wars capital ships. You could then have stands of multiple fighters to represent star fighter squadrons in this new game. I'd play that (or a Battlestar Galactica-themed version as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always pretend the bigger capital ships are just further away in 3d space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SeraphTC wrote:

I could live with a Star Destroyer model that was about half-again as long as the Corvette. Not ideal, but I could handle it - especially as we'd now be getting a lot closer to the ship and the map being in the same scale.

My problem is that a Star Destroyer has a power level to match its size. Putting it on the map either means a ridiculously huge game - even worse if we then add the Destroyer's fighter wing - or a unacceptably nerfed Destroyer.

As others have said, I think the Star Destroyer will have to be FFG's way of introducing a new capital ships game. I'm sure they'll make the ship, and I know I'll buy one because the model will be so damn pretty - but please, let it be the core of a new 1/6000 or so scale fleet game, and give us MC80s, Corvettes and Neb-Bs all to that scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
campaign book is good but for me first a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Henderson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the ship models that I'd like for both the Rebels and Empire. My preference would be repaint expansions (X-wing, Y-wing, TIE fighter) with additional unique pilots over more new ship classes.

If I had to pick new ships, here's my Wave 5 wish list:

REBELS
I4 Ionizer starfighter (advanced Y-wing to complement E-wing)
X4 Gunship

EMPIRE
TIE Avenger (prefer this over the TIE Defender)
Sentinel class landing craft

ALTERNATES
XS-800 light freighter
R-41 Starchaser
Muurian transport (assault ship)
TIE Hunter (also preferred over the TIE Defender)
Guardian class light cruiser (customs corvette)
IPV-1 system patrol craft
Tartan class patrol cruiser (long shot at 250m, larger than CR90)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:

I would be the happiest person alive if that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually bought the Corvette from LEGO some time ago. Its about 55cm long and that size does look usable during games.

I also bought the "Executor" Super Star Destroyer from LEGO, but at 125cm this thing is not going to move while on the table and the scale is such that there are no Turbo Laser details on the ship. A normal Star Destroyer that long might work for X-Wing, but its still HUGE and cannot be anything other than a static game piece (ie it cannot move at all during the game).

Now, for Missions ("Concentrate all fire on the Super Star Destroyer") this would not matter much as the Super Star Destroyer is the game piece around which the mission revolves, but outside of the mission its not a very exciting game piece to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
It wouldn't be wave 5.

Though, after looking at some videos, I'm fine with a Star Destroyer that is shown at the scale in Rogue Squadron 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
kostool13 wrote:

Star fighters don't work in atmosphere as well, so it would have to be treated as a new game. We can't ignore physics, after all.

I'll agree with the campaign book, but give me a few hours and I can post the one we use. Alternatively you could check out our facebook page which includes general rules and individual missions. https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsXWingMiniaturesMaine

Quote:

We've talked about using just the edge of the player area to represent a small portion of a star destroyer. Include so turrets and it wouldn't work so bad. Maybe a cardboard "wall" that you can put up and play next to. Could even include some epic rebel ships on the other side to have a battle taking place between two epic ships, with turbolasers firing down on the battle.

I'm not saying I support the idea. I'm up in the air about it, to be honest. I'd love to have a couple large capital ships, but I agree with you, they would look ridiculous... I think a mat (Which Sans Fi made with an ISD on one edge and an MC80 on the other) is the best way to go...

I'm just saying that it is a possibility for the future of X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If they did do a Star Destroyer then how @&6%$$ long would it take to kill it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:

The T-wing and R-41 are both pretty obscure, and I'm not sure what niche either would have. The T-wing is basically an A-wing, and the R-41 is roughly analogous to the Z-95; what would you do with them that's different from what's already in the game?

And while I'd be happy to see either the Assault Gunboat or Missile Gunboat in the game, they're awfully similar to one another in body style, so I'd expect to see one or the other.

I concur with the T-Wing assessment but I think the R-41 could be a valid item. Treat it like an X-Wing with no astromech slot, missiles, and replace the torpedoes with missiles. Flip Hull and shield totals, maybe drop the attack power down to 2. Now you have a small ship that has a cannon and missiles at a cheaper price than an E-Wing with less resiliency.

Body style does not equate performance! Besides, the Missile Boat was restricted and overpowered in its appearances so I think it's safe to say it's very unlikely the Missile boat would appear. If it did, it is guaranteed to appear only once in a list. The Assault Gunboat on the other hand can give the empire an assault fighter that also carries cannons and missiles, but has a greater punch than the R-41 at the expense of maneuverability. Perhaps give it a sensor slot too, so the Empire can think about things B-Wings do now and maybe in the future take Tractors and Jamming beams.

Yeah, though, I think the community may be in agreement that Star Destroyers are pushing it too far. It's a "cute" idea but I think it's more likely that we'll see a Gozanti cruiser, based on their size and the fact that they've been showing up in Star Wars: Rebels material as a patrol ship for the Empire.

It's this, or it might be the Vigil corvette which has almost the same function. The problem is packaging, and I can tell you the Gozanti would be easier to pack than a mini star destroyer (in spite of how awesome the Vigil is...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
msg tools
First of all, I don't want there to be a wave 5 announced until FFG have produced and dispatched most of the stuff they've already got in the pipe - deal with your current builds before releasing more!

What I'd like to see in the next wave would be different ships, rather than another "different" type of TIE Fighter. Maybe another bounty hunter ship? (Bossk or IG-88?)

I liked the idea of the HWK, because it's a different tangent, but haven't got one as it's stats are dreadful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:

"It's a tarp!"

-Amdiral Abckar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.