Subject: Cannibal Island strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hrvoje Golubić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Hello everybody!
I've been playing BG for last 2-3 years but i am new on this forum.
Me and my girlfriend finally got a copy of Robinson Crusoe. It was really hard to get a copy here in Croatia. After one and half week of play and around 20 games i must say that i am crazy about this game

I read some comments on this forum that it's not so hard game to play and that ppl have positive score with the game even with some more difficult scenarios. Well in my opinion that is impossible. In every scenaraio in first or second game you need to try different strategy to see what is the best tactic...and then you need some luck. Esspecially in scenario like Canibal Island.If you have positive score from the start then you are doing something wrong.

Canibal Island scenario.
We played it 9-10 times before we manage to stay alive ...we were happy like like little children...proud too
You have to have luck in this scenario...if you don't it's very hard or even impossible to survive.If you draw "book" event in the opening rounds it's pretty much game over..it's just too much damage and too litle time to recover.

We played 2 player game with Friday. The key was that we get Sling and Pit items. We build sling in the first turn and Friday disovered tile with totem .I thik it's for the best that only one player takes all the damage in the fights and that the other is looking to fight the final battle with the city of cannibals.

We manage to get pit item fast and had luck with the dices, so we were able to concentrate on weapons and exploring. We build bow and got +2 on discovery tokens for the weapon level. You need to kill the village every time as soon as possible, in next round would be optimal.

We only got one "book" event in first 3 rounds so we didn't take much damage.
We discovered all the tiles to the main camp and in turn 7 we killed it with only 2 villages burnt down. The power was 21 - 3 x 2 (15) and our weapon level was 9 ( bow, sling , tokens, and card)...so i took 6 damage and manage to stay alive ) Yeeeey!

We finally did it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Black_mustang wrote:

I read some comments on this forum that it's not so hard game to play and that ppl have positive score with the game even with some more difficult scenarios. Well in my opinion that is impossible. In every scenaraio in first or second game you need to try different strategy to see what is the best tactic...and then you need some luck. Esspecially in scenario like Canibal Island.If you have positive score from the start then you are doing something wrong.

Canibal Island scenario.
We played it 9-10 times before we manage to stay alive ...we were happy like like little children...proud too
You have to have luck in this scenario...if you don't it's very hard or even impossible to survive.If you draw "book" event in the opening rounds it's pretty much game over..it's just too much damage and too litle time to recover.

We played 2 player game with Friday. The key was that we get Sling and Pit items. We build sling in the first turn and Friday disovered tile with totem .I thik it's for the best that only one player takes all the damage in the fights and that the other is looking to fight the final battle with the city of cannibals.

We manage to get pit item fast and had luck with the dices, so we were able to concentrate on weapons and exploring. We build bow and got +2 on discovery tokens for the weapon level. You need to kill the village every time as soon as possible, in next round would be optimal.

We only got one "book" event in first 3 rounds so we didn't take much damage.
We discovered all the tiles to the main camp and in turn 7 we killed it with only 2 villages burnt down. The power was 21 - 3 x 2 (15) and our weapon level was 9 ( bow, sling , tokens, and card)...so i took 6 damage and manage to stay alive ) Yeeeey!

We finally did it !

Congratz to you, both for getting the game finally, and for being crazy about it, and finally for winning scenario #5 (IMO hardest of the initial 6).

However, I must say that I don't share your opinion quoted above. It is really possible to win a scenario outright, and repeatedly, without the proverbial "beginners luck".
As you said, you need to find the right approach to any and every scenario. But this can ultimately be done two ways:
1) with the trial & error method you suggest
2) in looking at probabilities and possibilities, calculating risk, and doing the Math in your head.

And the second approach is where what you say isn't possible becomes quite feasible.

As I had to work on the game components for quite a while, I kinda got to know them a bit. That also included possible risks, and chances, and probabilities. Not that you always know what will hit you from where, but there are tendencies that you can figure into your planning.
This is what I did when I finally tackled scenario #5. I knew I had the right approach when I played it for the first time. However, due to bad luck with the dice and card draws, I only won on my third attempt (and in this scenario 1 bad card can make all the difference).
However, I managed to win scenarios 4, 6 and 7 on first try, and would say that I could repeat this, if fortuna does not decide to crush me with bad results...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hrvoje Golubić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Hi!
Thanks for the reply!

I was talking about the Canibal Island scenario.
We only played 1,2,3 and 5 scenario.
We lost first two games in 1st scenario because we were trying to figure out the rules and game mechanics. I think that the rules are not hard at all but you need few plays to "clear" some things...we found lots of help on this forum

The 3rd time we lost because we had bad luck with the cards and dices.
We won the first scenario on the 4th time.

We manage to win the second scenario in first try, and third scenario in second try.

But Cannibal island was really hard.
We lost few times because we like to try different tactic, just for fun.
But then we decided to go with the best solution every time and we lost 6-7 times.I will stay with my clame that in this scenario you have to have luck to stay alive. We played everything as we "sholud" and was so close to survive but then we got one or two bad rolls or bad card and we lost.
That one roll, card, or exploration tile really makes big difference in this scenario.
Then few times we were crushed by the game in first 3-4 turns because we didn't disceover totem tiles (2-3 exploration) and then got book icons few times in a row.

All things said above i really can't imagine that somebody is playing game for the first time and that he won first few scenrarios with any loss.
Especially to have super positive score with canibal island.

I must say that we played only 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that this scenario seems a lot more luck-dependent than others. I can see how starting the game with one or two book events will spell an early doom. But the same thing applies if there aren't weapon inventions available, or you lose weapons due to a bad event, adventure, or hunting draw.

I wonder if this scenario needs some errata. For example, why don't palisades help you against attacks against your camp?

I'm considering a house rule to change the book icon to cause you to lose 3-X palisades instead of just doing 3-X wounds to everyone. If you have no palisades, everyone takes the same amount of damage as normal. Palisades now have a purpose, though you have to weigh the benefits of building palisades vs. weapons. And there's actually a reason to build the scenario-specific ballista (+1 weapon, +2 palisades). If you get a book event on turn two, you're still probably screwed, but I think this would make the rest of the scenario a little less luck-dependent and more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pallen_97 wrote:
I agree that this scenario seems a lot more luck-dependent than others. I can see how starting the game with one or two book events will spell an early doom. But the same thing applies if there aren't weapon inventions available, or you lose weapons due to a bad event, adventure, or hunting draw.

I wonder if this scenario needs some errata. For example, why don't palisades help you against attacks against your camp?

I'm considering a house rule to change the book icon to cause you to lose 3-X palisades instead of just doing 3-X wounds to everyone. If you have no palisades, everyone takes the same amount of damage as normal. Palisades now have a purpose, though you have to weigh the benefits of building palisades vs. weapons. And there's actually a reason to build the scenario-specific ballista (+1 weapon, +2 palisades). If you get a book event on turn two, you're still probably screwed, but I think this would make the rest of the scenario a little less luck-dependent and more interesting.

There's a specific (or at least one anyway) strategy to beat this scenario! Very hard to beat if you don't know the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:
pallen_97 wrote:

There's a specific (or at least one anyway) strategy to beat this scenario! Very hard to beat if you don't know the strategy.

Even if you have a strategy going in I feel that this scenario is very luck dependent. If you pull book icons the first two rounds you're essentially wiped out. A lot of it really does come down to what you're pulling out of the Event deck and if you get any decent exploration tokens/treasure deck pulls. I feel that seeding the inventions is cheating so I wouldn't do that unless I play it 7 or 8 times and fail. I like the challenge though, I just wish there was a way to mitigate the luck factor on this scenario. To be fair this was only my second scenario, so maybe I'll come back in try after some deeper play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.