Subject: [Deck] TWIY Astrobiotics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
To download this deck or test draws, click here: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/2957/twiy-astrobiotics .

Foreward: I'll be honest, this deck is dumb. If you want to have fun with quirky shenanigans, this isn't for you. Astrobiotics is a quintessential Spike deck. My opponents have left once they see what I'm doing, they've flamed how much of a bore it is, and I've scared away a couple of new players (sorry! I do always put [Adv] in my OCTGN room :/). This deck has an extremely hard time losing.

I've spent months analyzing TWIY trying to figure out how to unlock its true potential. Many conclusions I've drawn won't be new to many (Biotic Laboring a Astroscript is teh shit), but many I haven't seen reflected as much as I think should. Anyways, let's begin.

Firstly, I'm going to make a bold claim: TWIY improves as the deck approaches 40 cards. TWIY is all about consistency and speed - the more you fine-tune both, the better your deck becomes (even if only marginally - it adds up). There's nothing worse than spending half your game drawing without seeing an Astroscript or fast advance tool

Now, as many of you are aware, cutting to 40 cards increases your agenda density and you lack the deckspace needed to incorporate ice, econ, and the tools you need, causing some opening hands to lose the game for you. Anonymous Tip was designed for TWIY. Running three of them, you have a 40% chance of starting with one, granting you an eight-card starting hand. Anonymous Tip provides opening flexibility - its deckslot functions not only as a draw accelerator, but also as either ice or economy since it gives you a second opportunity in a bad opening hand. This Andromeda-like effect all but eliminated bad openings in this deck (too bad it doesn't come with an improved mulligan).

I'll shut up and post my deck so we can examine its strategies.

TWIY Astrobiotics

NBN: The World is Yours* (Future Proof)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
1x Market Research (Fear and Loathing)
2x Profiteering (Second Thoughts)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (13)
3x Anonymous Tip (Core Set)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ••••• •••
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (3)
3x Enigma (Core Set)

Sentry (5)
1x Archer (Core Set) ••
2x Data Raven (Core Set)
2x Rototurret (Core Set) ••

ICE (2)
2x Chimera (Cyber Exodus)

12 influence spent (max 12)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
40 cards (min 40)

So what constitutes a good opening hand? Here are cards to mulligan for (in order):

1. Biotic Labor
2. Astroscript Pilot Program
3. Ice #1
4. Anonymous Tip
5. Econ #1
6. Ice #2
7. SanSan City Grid (moves up vs Gabe)

Your one and only objective is to get that Astrochain rollin'. If you have a Beale in HQ and don't suspect Siphon, leave it undefended. If that Beale is an Astroscript, protect it (I swear, the fact tihs deck exists angers the Gods of luck). Biotic Labor is the most sure-fire way to score your first Astroscript (and allows an alternate scoring method if your Astros get stolen), at only 5c if you use SfSS (which is also helpful against denial decks such as Reina or Gabe). I would not recommend switching SfSS for Subliminal Messaging or Restructure, as it greatly increasses your scoring window - something that I think has been undervalued.

And that's right, no Jackson. Every time he showed in an opening hand, I was disappointed. I'll consider re-adding him if Noise gets the help he needs (never thought I'd be saying that). Data Raven is here because TWIY Scorch decks put the fear of God into runners, so they either never run that server again, find methods of bypassing it, or they run much more slowly and remove the tags. Very rarely have I encountered a runner willing to eat the tags without digging for a Plascrete first. I do however, intend to switch it for the spoiled Sentry ETR that can't be bypassed, and swapping Enigmas for Quandry.

This deck, if piloted properly without the worst possible draws, keeps the runner at phase two of the game (ice is out, but runner is still searching for breakers). My average game length is 8-11 turns, with about 10 cards left in R&D. Good luck with it! I hope I didn't ruin A:NR for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good deck write-up! I like the appropriate level of detail you've included in this write-up, doesn't go on too long, doesn't explore too many ultra specific scenarios. I don't doubt it's potency either, I've always been looking for solid NBN deck ideas but people seem to have kept their NBN plans under the bonnet

I've spoilered the rest of my comment as it's pretty off-topic. EDIT: OP kindly edited the post (thanks! ) but I've left my comment below just as a polite notice to the internet.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lysander1 wrote:
Think of Anonymous Tip as a tranny

As I said I'm impressed with your write-up and deck design, however I am feel slightly obliged as a member of the LGBT+ community to politely inform you that it's not au fait to use the term "tranny". I won't deny some LGBT+ groups are ok with it, but the term's level of offensiveness can be loosely compared to racial slurs in many LGBT+ communities. The context you used it in doesn't even make it a very good analogy either. "Multi-functional card" would have made a lot more sense, or possibly "Think of Anonymous Tip as a piece of ICE or event that you really needed in your opening draw, instead of just seeing it as the Anonymous tip card it actually is." You get my drift.

It seems like a petty thing to complain about and I don't intend any offence, but our hobbies, (like Netrunner), are what bring people together, and that includes people from all backgrounds. Food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! I too was disappointed with the lack of divulgence but thankfully there were skilled players on Stimhack willing to discuss and share.

The Sacred Voice wrote:

I've spoilered the rest of my comment as it's pretty off-topic.

Ah, my apologies, I meant no disrespect. I've edited the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, an NBN deck without pop-up. And no surprise, it's better.

One question: why did you choose Data Raven, if you don't play Psychographics, instead of a couple of Wall of Static ?
Edit: I should have read more cautiously. Nevertheless, I add a Psychographics or a Close Account, just in case.
Re-edit: I see that Market Research does the job.

Also, I wonder if a couple of Swordsmen could be better than the Archer, to kill these annoying Crypsis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Pyjam wrote:

One question: why did you choose Data Raven, if you don't play Psychographics, instead of a couple of Wall of Static ?

Also, I wonder if a couple of Swordsmen could be better than the Archer, to kill these annoying Crypsis.

Because TWIY Scorched Earth decks are just as common as FA, so about 95% of the runners I've faced leave that server alone for several turns so they can destroy/bypass it, or find a Plascrete. I intend to test swapping Data Ravens for that spoiled Sentry ETR ice (4 rez str 2) that can't be bypassed. Both have their merits, and if nothing else, Data Raven prevents them from maximizing resources unless they spend even more resources removing tags.

I tested Swordsman, and didn't like it. Wraparound makes Crypsis sad enough. There's only one AI that hates Swordsman more than Wraparound, and that's Knight. Problem is that it's too specific a problem to bother with, and I'd rather just trash whatever ice it's on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
This deck also does have a bit of flexibility. I wouldn't recommend changing its size or ice/econ/agenda ratio a ton, but the influence spent on Archer/Rotos can easily be spent on a third Biotic Labor or other ice/tool. Some of the ice themselves have some nice secondary effects, but overall ice is all personal preference. Pop-Ups aren't terrible, but I always seem to get Astroscripts sniped from behind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Pop-up is the last thing you want in your starting hand when you want to score the first Astro.

What's the common behaviour on OCTGN when R&D (or HQ) is protected by a sole Swordsman and the Runner has no killer installed ? Do people run thru it or stay aside ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Pyjam wrote:

What's the common behaviour on OCTGN when R&D (or HQ) is protected by a sole Swordsman and the Runner has no killer installed ? Do people run thru it or stay aside ?

I haven't encountered this a ton of times, but the poorer players will rarely repeatedly run through it (they seem to think all ice needs to be broken). Good Criminals will Account Siphon through it but otherwise won't risk their good events getting trashed. I have seen Shapers Index through it and put agendas at the bottom of the queue for a later run or install a RDI and run through it. Recursion isn't a big deal for them or many Anarch decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Sure. Pop-up is the last thing you want in your starting hand when you want to score the first Astro.

:/

All your ice go on R&D?

I had deck a while ago whose basic idea was similar Trick of Light/Cheep Ice. I had to use up spots on ice wall and ghost branch (ghost branch does work). I might try this out because frankly my deck right now isn't store championship material.

My ultimate fear is Keyhole/Parasite. I don't think it even needs to be noise... but, will test more later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had a lot more trouble playing Corp than a Runner, until a few weeks ago when I tried a similar TWIY deck and it's been working similarly well.

A few differences:
I use all my influence on 3 Biotic Labors, figuring there's enough in faction and neutral ice to cover my needs.
I similarly ditch Pop Ups because the game doesn't last long enough to make them useful (and simultaneously removed the RSVPs because setting up ice in order was too hit-or-miss), so instead use Paper Walls and Tollboths.
Downside is the Papet Walls plus Wraparounds make me very prone to Corroder, so I'm looking forward to that new cheap code gate, Quandry.
I have stuck with Jackson so far, but you make an interesting case for Anonymous Tip.
But the most interesting thing here is the Data Raven idea. I've stuck with Character Assassination because killing Kati or Pro Contacts can be fun, but Market Research might be worth it if I throw in Data Raven. I guess if it causes the jacking out that you suggest and the tag removal slow down then that would be great. Hmm. The real champ for me so far has been Chimera on a remote server and Tollbooth on R&D. Keeps the SanSan alive and really delays any possible R&D lock, unless they Test Run / Scavenge their Femme.
I'm also trying out two Restructures at the moment, but not sure if they'll stay or not. Anyway, interesting to see a slightly different take on TWIY.

So I was running the following:
Project Beale x3
AstroScript Pilot Program x3
Character Assassination x2
Breaking News x2
Jackson Howard x3
Chimera x3
Tollbooth x3
Paper Wall x2
Wraparound x2
Enigma x2
Biotic Labor x3
Hedge Fund x3
Sweeps Week x3
Restructure x2
Shipment from SanSan x2
SanSan City Grid x2

But I think, based on your post, I'll try swapping a Chimera and a Tollbooth for two Data Ravens, and swap one of the Character Assassinations for Market Research, and see how that goes. For now I like Jackson for recurring SanSan and Biotic. I think Enigma will definitely become Quandary when that's released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bier Fuizl
Germany
flag msg tools
We are slowly approaching Psycho Tycho territory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otterson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With your lack of econ (only 6 cards), do you find yourself clicking for credits often?

If your opening hand contains Astro, Biotic Labor, & SfSS, will you spend your first turn scoring an Astro above protecting anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to try it out. I've been mucking around with NBN for a while, but couldn't really make it viable and was starting to get frustrated.

Here is a question. Say, you got your ideal opening hand of SfSS, APP, and Biotic Labor. Would you go bankrupt scoring it turn 1, leaving all centrals undefended?

I know how important the early game APP is, but such an opening is also so dangerous.

Also, any theory behind your ICE placement? Any that are particularly well-suited for remotes vs. centrals?

When I play H-B, I typically don't start thinking about remotes until after R&D and HQ are double iced, but that might be way too slow for this deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans otterson wrote:
If your opening hand contains Astro, Biotic Labor, & SfSS, will you spend your first turn scoring an Astro above protecting anything?

Hahaha, wow - like minds think alike! I can't believe I got ninja'd on that question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
hans otterson wrote:
With your lack of econ (only 6 cards), do you find yourself clicking for credits often?

Not at all. Typically the process of digging for my Biotics/Astros gets me my econ, but occasionally I have to click a bit. You'd be surprised how little economy this deck needs.

Remotes won't get iced at all if you get the right draws quickly, but otherwise Ravens and Archers are preferable over centrals, whereas Rototurret and Wraparound are better for remotes.

I've often been tempted to Biotic, SfSS an Astroscript my first turn. If you have a Sweeps Week to recover, go for it (but now we're talking a four card combo in an opening hand; not that common (even the three is like, 2% of games)). If you have any ice and a Hedge Fund, bolster HQ first, even if R&D is undefended so that you can bounce back faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't this be vulnerable to multi-access decks like those carrying Medium (plus a demo run)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're playing with a bunch of babies, if they are leaving early.

Have you played this F2F?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I've played perhaps two dozen games F2F, though I'd like to play many more.

I'm very honored to announce Stimhack.com user Argamas took an earlier edition of this deck to a tournament and Went undefeated with it, winning the tournament.

http://forum.stimhack.com/t/thanks-guys/687/2

So yeah, I'd say it passed the tournament litmus test. Congratulations, Argamus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn E
Netherlands
Zwolle
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm Argamas and I approve this message

This decks works as Lysander said. You need to play aggressively, minimal ice on servers and go for agenda's. Money is no problem. Draw, draw draw. Anonymous Tip was King.

Some of my experience from yesterday:
- I barely played Data Raven, I found them to be too expensive or not detering at all.
- I liked HJ for econ recursion and filling R&D. Anonymous Tip was certainly better. HJ served as an distraction too. Most people run on it.
- Key for me was a filled hand with 6 cards and 1 or tops 2 agenda's.
- I did like popup... It was an econ card for me.
- Another key was a good timed Archer to shut runners down or hamper them

And yes, I do know our meta is small, so it might not be saying all. But normally I suck at Corp and Run better, but this deck is the real deal for me.

Thanks again Lysander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Lysander.

Although, I can't understand why some people go to tournaments to play decks built by others. They really are cheaters with no decency. They deserve no consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Always be running!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Congrats Lysander.

Although, I can't understand why some people go to tournaments to play decks built by others. They really are cheaters with no decency. They deserve no consideration.

I hope that you are joking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiNOS wrote:
I hope that you are joking.

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn E
Netherlands
Zwolle
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

You play they game you want. I do it my way. I have not a lot of time, so I try to play as much as I can and not play to much with a lot of decks and checking out variations. I give full credit to Lysander for his effort and his input on Stimhack on the deck. It helped me a lot.

Most off all, I feel sorry that his topic is getting this reaction. That is my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Congrats Lysander.

Was more like same idea. Not same deck. Happens all the time. Heck, all Adromeda decks are 85% identical.

And building a deck is only half of it. You have to pilot it as well.

Wouldn't call it cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaRef wrote:
I have not a lot of time...

Next step: ask someone to play the deck for you.

Just kidding this time.

You realize that some other players take the time to build their own decks, and you go back to home with the goodies but little glory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.