Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
About a book...what else?

Im trying to rediscover a book from my youth, I got it from the library when I was in grade school so were talking '98 - '99 maybe Middle School so potentially early 2000's. Not sure when it was actually published.

Here is what I remember for sure:
Large hard cover book on international naval forces. I mean large, both in height and pages.

White cover, was adorned with various paintings/drawings of side views on the front.

Inside the book, it was just about pure top down, and side view art of tons and tons of ships. Few if any line drawings or photographs, most were paintings, in fact if I had to bet I would say there were nothing but the top down/side view art, no pictures. It was a vast treasure trove of side/top down art.

Here is what I am iffy on:

Time period, I think it dealt with WWI to then present day ships. Although it may have been just Cold War - Modern?

Pretty sure it wasnt a Janes publication.

Pretty sure subs were included.

The title, cant for the life of me remember it, nor can I find anything remotely similar to it in my Google searches (Obviously else I wouldnt be asking).

Anyone know what Im talking about? Here is to hoping that someone is familiar or has it in their own library and can help me out as I would like to add it to my own. TIA as always!

F@#$ me with all these edits. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Anyone know what Im talking about? Here is to hoping that someone is familiar or has it in their own library and can help me out as I would like to add it to my own. TIA as always!

F@#$ me with all these edits. blush

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Naval-Combat-David-Miller/dp/05...

maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or perhaps:

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Modern-Warfare-Milit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, thank you, very good guesses but much too small.

The cover was not a specific ship if I recall correctly, it was many many of the side views over the front. Pretty much just color plates on the cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
From 1994, though it doesn't sound like the book you're describing. Nevertheless, it's a great little collection of detailed paintings of a wide variety of warships.

Title: The Gatefold Book of the World's Great Warships. Reprinted by Barnes & Noble.

I'll see if I can find a photo from B&N or Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
From 1994, though it doesn't sound like the book you're describing. Nevertheless, it's a great little collection of detailed paintings of a wide variety of warships.

Title: The Gatefold Book of the World's Great Warships. Reprinted by Barnes & Noble.

I'll see if I can find a photo from B&N or Amazon.

Looked it up, sadly not it. I do appreciate it though, again the book in terms of pages was large.

The color plates werent that detailed if I remember properly, they had a few to a page of different ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Looked it up, sadly not it. I do appreciate it though, again the book in terms of pages was large.

The color plates werent that detailed if I remember properly, they had a few to a page of different ships.

Ah, the first one is the opposite of that. Large pages with single relatively detailed paintings for the most part. The second was just one that turned up during the search for the first one, didn't seem likely, but figured it was better to add it than to not add it and wonder if I should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Ah, the first one is the opposite of that. Large pages with single relatively detailed paintings for the most part. The second was just one that turned up during the search for the first one, didn't seem likely, but figured it was better to add it than to not add it and wonder if I should have.

Hey, no worries, I greatly appreciate any attempt to help!

Kluvon wrote:
?

Ahh so close! For sure didnt have any age of sail/steam boats. And didnt have any stats/figures/dimensions on the pages. Was almost purely art if my memory is serving. Multiple ships to a page, sometimes multiple views, maybe even always top down and side of each ship.

Again thank you both for the help, Im looking at the recommended books and the reviews on Amazon to see if it will turn up or is mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Again thank you both for the help, Im looking at the recommended books and the reviews on Amazon to see if it will turn up or is mentioned.

I had the first one I posted as a kid as well as the airplane version of the same, probably even still have them somewhere. Looks like there's a helicopter version as well, maybe I'll see if I can get it on the cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
We need a lost and found thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Two possibilities but neither exactly fits your descriptions...

The above book goes back to the age of sail and covers modern ships. All pictures are artwork but side views only.

This covers the period you are speaking about from about WWI to end of WWII including both ships and submarines. However plenty of pictures in it including the art work views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't hurt to write (I assume you are too far away to visit) the school librarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost certainly NOT what you are looking for (it has LOTs of photos and NO art), but still, definitely has side views of all the world's naval ships:

Combat Fleets of the World

Does fit as far as size/weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
SBGrad wrote:
Almost certainly NOT what you are looking for (it has LOTs of photos and NO art), but still, definitely has side views of all the world's naval ships:

Combat Fleets of the World

Does fit as far as size/weight.

Funny that as the world's fleets shrink, the books get bigger and bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.