Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got a corner rounding punch to make my clipped counters even more spiffy, and after testing it out on a single counter sheet game (Germantown), I set out to clip the newest monster in my stable (The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945: Winter War 1939-1940 (Vol. 1).

I'm through most of the informational counters, and most of the smaller participants. I still have Sweden to go, and then the big two.

However, progress has slowed due to blisters from the added effort of the new punch vs nail clippers. This is going to take a while... they look *great* thbough.

I guess the title should really be first board wargaming injury. I've gotten plenty in minatures gaming from x-acto knife and super glue incidents to stepping on some spearmen on the floor in bare feet, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem, if you take an old rag/cloth and wrap the handles in it then the blister problem goes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I had the same problem, if you take an old rag/cloth and wrap the handles in it then the blister problem goes away.

LOL. I guess that's what comes from me having soft programmer hands. At least during the winter. They'll toughen back up once the weather is nice enough to be active outside again. For now, I'm just treating it like playing the guitar. If I don't abuse them too badly, a callus or two will solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Operational Combat Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be glad you don't have a parrot that flings pointy bits of nut shell on the floor. Those are might rough on bare feet. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Case Blue only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I am beginning to doubt the validity of this thread.
Seriously, haven't most of us got our first wargame injury from flying Risk pieces? I'll never forget those Roman Numeral pieces coming straight for my head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Seriously, haven't most of us got our first wargame injury from flying Risk pieces? I'll never forget those Roman Numeral pieces coming straight for my head!

I'm more shocked that I don't have any Diplomacy related injuries beyond the obvious psychological ones. Man it's been a while since I've played in a good diplomacy game, need to figure out where all the cool kids play Diplomacy online nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RSI caused by putting the stickers on all the blocks of Commands & Colors: Ancients is a fairly common injury.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once pricked my finger on a tiny wood splinter at the edge of the table while playing L'Armée du Nord, and smeared a very tiny drop of my blood 11 hexes west of Mont St Jean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
catosulla wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first wargame injury was stepping on a die with bare feet.

At least it wasn't a d4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLWGS has pretty high shelves, and sometimes things are "firmly" packed. I pulled down two copies of Andean Abyss when I was expecting one and copped the extra on the head. It hurt enough that I felt cheated when there was barely a bruise.
Does Nuclear War count? I think I got a sore finger after overenthusiasticly flicking the Death-o-meter spinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
My first wargame injury was stepping on a die with bare feet.

At least it wasn't a d4.

I think you just triggered a new gamer vanity plate:
2d4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to get clever. Just switch hands from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
No need to get clever. Just switch hands from time to time.

I tried that. worked OK. Could never really get a rhythm going using the "wrong" hands. It's not like a few quite small blisters is really stopping me.

I also had to oil the pins holding the cutter together, it was starting to squeak something terrible. Would rather have used graphite or the like but didn't have any handy, so I had to be very careful while applying the oil to make sure it wasn't anywhere it would get on the counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been rebasing my 15mm miniatures. I've gotten a couple of Xacto knife wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
catosulla wrote:

I had Intellivision Thumb from playing Armor Battle

Yeah those Intellivision controllers definitely left their mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Engle
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad always told be if you get a blister, pop it and rub your hands with sandgulp
Of course he was a carpenter, not a wargamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I've recently been rebasing my 15mm miniatures. I've gotten a couple of Xacto knife wounds.

Yeah. Miniatures games have caused a decent share of pain. Xacto knife slices are common enough. I also dropped a Khador warjack (the old metal ones of coures) off of a 6 foot shelf and directly onto my little toe while barefoot. Much swearing ensued, though at least some of that was due to the mini now in need of repair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Be glad you don't have a parrot that flings pointy bits of nut shell on the floor. Those are might rough on bare feet. soblue

I like birds well enough, but they definitely fall into the, "I'm glad they live in someone else's house" category. Much like children.

Our neighbor has a cockatoo that rides around on my dog's head. Never managed to get a good picture of it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
LargeMike wrote:
My dad always told be if you get a blister, pop it and rub your hands with sandgulp

You gotta toughen your hands up earlier though.

Latin American sugar cutters piss on their hands to toughen them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
LargeMike wrote:

As a carpenter and gamer I take offense at the implied dichotomy!

No, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:

Hey you're in Minnesota! Toughen those hands up with some snow shoveling!

Not near as much snow to shovel hear as in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I lived for ~20 years. More cold, less snow here. Definitely plenty of cold though, particularly this winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
catosulla wrote:

I had Intellivision Thumb from playing Armor Battle

B-17 Bomber for me.

From tabletop wargames? A cardboard cut while cutting up counters for a pocketbox edition of Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.