Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello I have played over ten practice games with landing on the left side of map every game. Have never knocked out all jap units. Wondering if I am doing something wrong with rules and hoping for answers to a few questions.(sending from my iPhone while I hold our baby do please forgive my failing to refer to specific numbers in the rules questions below, as I just can't juggle that well).

1) movement and landing hexes: if a marine unit lands in a beach hex is its movement over for the entire turn (tanks too?).
2) I know you roll three dice to calculate bombardment strength before the mountain falls. Rule book says not to count target units strength so I have been ignoring target unit defense. Is this the correct interpretation?
3) if an attacker gets an advance after combat is it able to advance into hexes other than the one it attacked?
4) I have been getting very few banzai attacks. Usually the first die rolled indicates there will be one but the second die comes up with an area that has already been cleared and so the attack is moot. Anyone out there house ruling this?
5) anyone else play this and have difficulty getting a US win ? If so were there any rules you missed the first few times around that impacted play balance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback of opinions

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael I'm just getting into this game myself, but I'll do my best...
1. It's movement is over for that movement phase. Section 13, mod to rule 5.2: All units pay 1 MP to enter a beach hex but must stop on entering. I believe once on the beach, you can move them again during the mobile movement phase, but at 1/2 their printed MA.
2. Yes, your interpretation is correct.
3. I say no. You should advance into the hex you just attacked. Even though the game exclusive rules eliminate the "path of retreat" option for advance, I believe the intent is that you advance the one hex into the area you just attacked.
4. Banzai attacks have been few for me as well. I believe this to be historically accurate. They were sporadic at Iwo and uncoordinated. The Japanese were ordered not to Banzai; to stay in their defensive positions so as to inflict maximum casualties on the attacking Americans for as long as possible.
5. Too early to tell for me. So far, the best I've done is a draw, but then I'm still doping out my tactics. I'm not comfortable with Japanese bombardment quite yet, so I'm giving the system the advantage in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks so much for answering. Per question 1 I have been confused because the rules state units do not get to move again in the mobile unit phase if they moved in regular movement, and I have been unsure whether landing in a beach hex in the regular movement phase counts the same. Playing with doll movement (both regular and mobilized) for the turn after a beach hex landing, I have had very poor results for the US in my ten practice games. All but one has ended as epic victory for japan because they still have units on the map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mblack wrote:
the rules state units do not get to move again in the mobile unit phase if they moved in regular movement,

Perhaps this is where you're getting hung up, bro...
In the game exclusive rules, under 13.0, the system rules are modified, 4.1 - "All US units may move during their mobile movement phase", the only restriction is that they are limited to half their printed MA.
You've not been taking all your allowed movement.

Edit: BTW...I wouldn't land any units on the beach during the mobile movement phase if I were you until after Mt. Suribachi has been cleared. They'll get HAMMERED by the Japanese bombardment. Try to make sure your boys move off the beach that landed during regular movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I have never won as the US either, after half a dozen or so plays.
I never really even come close.
Not sure if it's me, or the game... or a little of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes hard to win. I had an 8-turn storm, and two 5-turns storms in my first 3 games...

I have decided the most sensible fix is to extend the US bombardment suppression to D2 and D3 results, not just Ex. I know the official errata clarifies that this should not be odne, but my boys need all the help they can get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.