Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So last time I posted something like this I got a lot of hate. But here I go. So my brother a friend and I love this game, but we feel it is to easy. SO we are now separating the Hero's into three piles according to threat we have the cheap ones in one pile then the medium ones in another pile and the last pile has the higher costing ones. So then we draw one card from each pile then build are decks we have loved this. Also if one of our heros die we put them in the dead back and we don't play with them again, and when ever we beat a quest we put it in a beaten bag. So we have a very long campaign going. I would highly recommend this for any fan of the game.

Update: I miss stated something in my original post when we play it is not completely random heros we draw two from each stack then choose one from each stack out of the two we drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wootsick
United States
ZEBULON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well don't think of it as hate.....it's just that the majority of players perceives the game as hard.

Exceptions to the masses are always frowned upon. Just see it as a reaction as part of the hardness to the game.....not as a reaction towards you as a person.

I always either play with a themed deck....and select heroes with respect to the lore, time frame and whether they fit in with the other heroes.
Or i play a strategy deck, selecting a hero coinciding with the decks strategies.

Building decks around heroes is something i have not tried yet, but an interesting strategy nonetheless. I will try that sometime.

The death variant would be interesting too when playing a campaign / progression variant in which you can no longer play a hero you lost while playing the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I don't think that as hate thank you. But last time people were saying I was a troll and I was playing the game wrong when I wasn't.
Sourceror wrote:
Well don't think of it as hate.....it's just that the majority of players perceives the game as hard.

Exceptions to the masses are always frowned upon. Just see it as a reaction as part of the hardness to the game.....not as a reaction towards you as a person.

I always either play with a themed deck....and select heroes with respect to the lore, time frame and whether they fit in with the other heroes.
Or i play a strategy deck, selecting a hero coinciding with the decks strategies.

Building decks around heroes is something i have not tried yet, but an interesting strategy nonetheless. I will try that sometime.

The death variant would be interesting too when playing a campaign / progression variant in which you can no longer play a hero you lost while playing the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate was perhaps too strong a word, i used. Not native english speaker here

But it was kinda said pretty personal instead of constructive criticism about the comments. All in all, just think of it that it says more about them then it does about you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sourceror wrote:
Hate was perhaps too strong a word, i used. Not native english speaker here

But it was kinda said pretty personal instead of constructive criticism about the comments. All in all, just think of it that it says more about them then it does about you.

Exactly sir thank you I enjoyed your words of wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see how the randomness would be very fun, especially coupled with not being allowed to play 'dead' heroes again. Seems like it would be a short, frustrating campaign. But if you like it, keep at it.

For me, the fun of the game is in building a deck that meets the demands of the encounter deck, and the heroes are a central part of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever reaction you got from the community is based on the communities overwhelming consensus that this game, when played correctly, is NOT easy. So one of two possibilities are true -either you are incredibly good at deck building (in which case, congratulations are in order), or you are playing it wrong. The other problem the community may have is that even the best deck builders in the community still don't generally call the game easy. While some of the older scenarios do not hold up to the larger card pool we have now, the new Nightmare mode helped to revitalize them to be challenging quests again. Either way, I would love to see one of these random deck builds, so we could see what you've got going. Sounds like your approach with random hero selection might find some surprising synergies that the community would love to see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
Whatever reaction you got from the community is based on the communities overwhelming consensus that this game, when played correctly, is NOT easy. So one of two possibilities are true -either you are incredibly good at deck building (in which case, congratulations are in order), or you are playing it wrong. The other problem the community may have is that even the best deck builders in the community still don't generally call the game easy. While some of the older scenarios do not hold up to the larger card pool we have now, the new Nightmare mode helped to revitalize them to be challenging quests again. Either way, I would love to see one of these random deck builds, so we could see what you've got going. Sounds like your approach with random hero selection might find some surprising synergies that the community would love to see!

I think it is true that when I got the game it included three expansions so I had a little advantage. I need to get the nightmare decks but haven't yet. Not to boast, but I do use a lot of strategy when I play this game. I really work with my team to become an unbeatable force. So it may just be the extreme strategy my team uses to destroy our foes. I have watched other people play the game in video sessions and I am playing right so that is not the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think this is a cool idea. I've actually tried something similar to this, except instead of just heroes I have stacks of player cards (or the appropriate sphere) with each hero.

And I see nothing wrong with making the game more challenging by disrupting deck building. Another option would be to max 2 of each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be fine to do a draft of all the cards, or randomize the pool of available cards, and try to build a deck within those constraints. Especially if you are playing 2-player where you can afford to really commit to certain areas and have your partner pick up the slack where you neglected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.