Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

As you can read here: http://victorypointgames.com/articleDetail.php?article_ID=34...

at the bottom of that page there is an article with pictures of the early work-in-progress for a VPG "Gold Banner" edition of NEMO'S WAR, bringing back designer Chris Taylor and developer Alan Emrich for another 20,000 leagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update; this was an exciting one for me. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we're looking forward to owning this “Pearl Worth Ten Million." Also intrigued about your future KickStarter project(s).

COUNT ME INcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Rob said!

I know it's probably early to say, but any idea of a release date?

Very much looking forward to the Gold Banner treatment and the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm IN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! I can hardly wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Release date? Wow! The game's still pre-alpha... so, no; no idea for a release date.

On the up side, I made the first pass at the ship roster and need to sail it by Chris Taylor. We wanted NAMES for all the ships, so I've done a lot of research to get a bunch of mixed nationalities (although the British dominate, of course) and ship types.

Some neat stuff in there -- Clippers, Whalers, even a real-life Cursed/Ghost ship!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Release date? Wow! The game's still pre-alpha... so, no; no idea for a release date.

On the up side, I made the first pass at the ship roster and need to sail it by Chris Taylor. We wanted NAMES for all the ships, so I've done a lot of research to get a bunch of mixed nationalities (although the British dominate, of course) and ship types.

Some neat stuff in there -- Clippers, Whalers, even a real-life Cursed/Ghost ship!

Alan Emrich

What about the Beagle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"What about the Beagle?"

The Beagle's career ended in the early 1850; the game takes place in the late 1860s/early 1870s.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
"What about the Beagle?"

The Beagle's career ended in the early 1850; the game takes place in the late 1860s/early 1870s.

Alan Emrich

Yep, wasn't sure if it would fit in the time-frame of the game.
Oh well, would have been nice (although I'm not sure I would have sunk it happily )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Then call it the Beagle II! This is fiction, after all. Either way, I'm definitely buying this game whenever it's ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested. I've been waiting for news like this for a while! I don't own Nemo yet, I've been waiting for the Gold Banner Edition. Keep me in the loop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I own Nemo's War and the expansion. I'll be buying the GB edition when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Longstreet
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking forward to this for a while. I can't wait to see what the final product looks like finished. The system is an excellent rule set and deserves the upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
Alan Emrich wrote:
"What about the Beagle?"

Alan Emrich

Yep, wasn't sure if it would fit in the time-frame of the game.
Oh well, would have been nice (although I'm not sure I would have sunk it happily )

There's always this, if you want a game with The Beagle: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a Quick update on NEMO'S WAR second edition

Well, 2nd edition NEMO'S WAR is under serious construction. Designer Chris Taylor is looking over my redevelopment work as I build it and, mostly, nodding sagely at the direction I'm taking shaping the new alpha kit. As of today (mid-March) I've blocked out the cards and counters, and I think we have the right quantity / mix of those percolating nicely. Chris has some "homework" to do for me designing 10 new ships for the counter mix (which already includes new ship types including Whalers, Slavers, Cutters (hey, I've got the Cutty Sark on the countersheet right now!), a Ram, the first modern Battleship, etc.) There will be other surprises when you reveal a Ship token, so that should keep the Oceans interesting!

Next on my list has been "blocking out" the game's footprint. Right now, we're looking at multiple component sheets to keep everything organized, all centered on the map. I should have those 'big pieces' sorted out by week's end and really bringing in The Big Guns with our graphic design & illustration artist, whose name has not yet been announced. The man has a real passion for making boardgames, a love of this subject, and is a great fan of the original NEMO'S WAR -- so that makes him uniquely suited to help bring you and awesome game treatments for this new edition of a great favorite! This is his first game with VPG, so we're learning each others' styles and capabilities while enjoying this, the very exciting part of the project where many presentation decisions are being made.

While we're back-and-forthing between the designer, myself (the developer), and The Big Gun, I will be working on codifying the new rules document. I've already made a pretty good dent in it, but want to make sure that "no gamer is left behind" when reading solitaire game docs.

Let me end with this thought: I'm very stoked about this game! I really hope we're creating a real "breakthrough" game that gives us a lot of new outreach. I once described NEMO'S WAR as our "TWILIGHT STRUGGLE" (GMT's breakout game title). With a Gold Banner, second edition treatment and distribution in stores -- we just might be steering the Nautilus on a grand adventure with The Little Game Company That Could.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
We couldn't ask for a better update than that,Alan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add that a real renaissance in solitaire gaming is blooming. The new monthly Solitaire geeklist is slowly bringing in more and more gamers who are discovering this 'genre' of gaming.

Infection: Humanitys Last Gasp has shown up regularly. I was pushed to nab Cruel Necessity because of that list, and I keep eyeing 30 A.D. because it appears monthly.

This is a great time to create a Gold Banner for Nemo's War. You should also look into doing a BGG Contest to hand out a couple copies for free. This, I think, would be great for steering people to VPG Games.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Journe,

I really don't know anything about BGG contests. Frankly, we could use an out-of-house BGGeek to help us do things like that on this site. We simply do not have the in-house time or expertise to "mother hen" contests here.

Now, if you or anyone would like to volunteer to help us as our BGG Contest Coordinator, that is an important volunteer position I would like to discuss...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Journe,

I really don't know anything about BGG contests. Frankly, we could use an out-of-house BGGeek to help us do things like that on this site. We simply do not have the in-house time or expertise to "mother hen" contests here.

Now, if you or anyone would like to volunteer to help us as our BGG Contest Coordinator, that is an important volunteer position I would like to discuss...

Alan Emrich

I'll gladly become a VPG emissary. GM sent.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

NEMO'S WAR second edition continues to sail ahead. Here is a quick update:

We will soon be announcing our special graphic/illustration artist for this project. He's very much working "out of house" and has a great passion for this subject and this game. I'm sure everyone will be pleased as we work on this, our first game project together.

Building the alpha playtest kit continues apace. I should have all of the maps, cards, counters, charts, etc. very nearly done by the end of today (Sunday). This means I will be diving deep into "rules writing" mode; my mission there is to take what is, essentially, a solitaire wargame and make the rules "lighter" to appeal to the broadest possible market. I mean, we can't really change the fact that NEMO'S WAR is a light solitaire wargame, but we can give the rules (and the whole package, actually), the best presentation we know how.

Designer Chris Taylor and I (the developer) had a nice long chin-wag yesterday at Victory Point Games. I had 10 "special" Ship token spaces left for him on the counter-mix, and by the time he left we had those designed out an in place on the counter sheet. You know, I have to admit, I do tend to "geek out" a bit when I get to work with designers like Chris Taylor, Frank Chadwick, Tom Decker, John Welch, Hermann Luttmann, and the myriad Great Minds who design games for us. I do go a little bit "fan boy" and realize how lucky I am to assist these great designers as their developer. It's and awesome, exhilarating experience and I know how luck I am to work with these guys.

Working with Chris yesterday was a perfect example. Back-and-forthing ideas for these NEMO'S WAR ships tokens to devise some new, fun surprises and achieve the design goals was a blast.

Here's a little preview. Keep in mind, these are still pre-alpha with my own crappy graphics to help the REAL artist reference the designer's and developer's vision. These are good-size tiles, too. I think they're 1.5" x 3/4" in size, and on that thick counter stock that we use, so they're pretty substantive.

Okay, back to work with me now! I've got to sort out exactly how the player does an Incitement Action in the new paradigm, and places an Uprising cube on the map. Stay tuned for more updates!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Work continues on 2nd edition NEMO'S WAR
With the first alpha version of the game built and on the table this week, the new second edition ideas and components for NEMO'S WAR got their first test drive. We managed four playtest games between the usual work activities here at The Little Game Company That Could, and I learned a great deal playing and observing others play "NEMO 2." Here's a peek at the first alpha kit (it's been upgraded once since that picture, and will be so again this week based on lessons learned from playtesting):

Right away, everyone loved the ship tiles. They're a great size, have a great feel when they're in your hand and while manipulating them on the map, there's a lot more variety, and more of them in total to boot. Combine that with designer Chris Taylor's "random event" ship tiles added to the mix from last week, and exploring the oceans (which you do a LOT of in this game) is a really cool experience!

Similarly, there are more treasure tokens (and more variety), so there were some surprises there among the playtesters, which is good. The cards are nice, especially that Nautilus upgrades (of which you get 4 out of 10 each game, but could find a couple others during play -- the idea being that you won't have EVERYTHING to choose from EVERY game and will have to vary your strategies for the Nautilus from play to play).

The fact that turns are measured by Event cards from the Draw Pile has worked out very smoothly. Now you can see the time counting down as the Draw Pile depletes, and the deck (when built during set up) is punctuated by 3 "Acts" and ends with the "Finale" card. Everyone also "gets" the new streamlined sequence of play, so that's been a blessing.

Things I'm still not happy with but have been hammering away on include the new system for ship placement on the map. It's been hitting players in "waves" instead of a "slowly rising tide," and I am after the latter feeling during play. Also, the way that Uprising cubes are placed and removed (by the system) from time-to-time during play was an itch I couldn't quite scratch last week. Consequently, both of these have been the focus of my development attention, and I believe I've "dialed in" solutions to both of these matters over this weekend. I will be playtesting the latest version with these adjustments during the week and doing the development work to get something that really floats your boat (that is, if your boat is the Nautilus).

Chris Taylor will be visiting VPG on Saturday (12 April 2014) to see if his Nautilus game is "shipshape" under my redevelopment efforts, so I'll be busting everything this week to make sure the game passes inspection.

After that meeting with Chris, we might need another round of Alpha testing (but things should be pretty solid by then -- assuming Chris doesn't hurl over the rail after playing it). If we're lucky, that designer's seal of approval is all we'll need to go forward, and then we'll be looking at a closed beta test for the next phase. What that means is that some of our "elite" testers plus the out-of-house developers will be mailed a kit and get to hammer away on it. After their input, we'll see if we're sanguine with the current state of the project or if we need a round of open beta testing. Either way, at the point the still-as-yet-unannounced-but-already-busy-working-in-the-wings illustration and graphic artist will have the green light to start making this game look like Nemo's dream.

Because the "scariest bit" on this project, to me at least, is getting the Victory Point / Victory Conditions to balance out correctly, that round of open beta testing might be necessary. I would like to have as many end-game scores and after-action reports as possible so that we have a larger pool of results to balance the game from. We'll see...

So, I'm still "full steam ahead" and this project is moving quickly through the choppy seas of game publishing. I'm setting course for The Arabian Tunnel next and a quick trip to Atlantis!

Alan Emrich
Developer, Nemo's War second edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Applejack
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very excited for the 'Gold Banner' edition of Nemo's War. I've always wanted to play it, and now it's getting a very appealing makeover that I am sure to buy.

On a somewhat related note, I really wish that Astra Titanus, Forlorn: Hope and Hero of Weehawken also get 'Gold Banner' releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alita_99 wrote:
I am very excited for the 'Gold Banner' edition of Nemo's War. I've always wanted to play it, and now it's getting a very appealing makeover that I am sure to buy.

On a somewhat related note, I really wish that Astra Titanus, Forlorn: Hope and Hero of Weehawken also get 'Gold Banner' releases.

+1 to all of those. I own them all but would rebuy them if they were updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alita_99 wrote:

Me too!!

Although I wonder: Alan, how different will this be from the original Nemo? It does seem like a really deep re-development of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.