Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey all. I'm moving at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the best way to pack up and move board games? I'm sure many of you out there have done it already, thus why I'm asking for some advice! I've only had to do it once, and it was with far fewer games than I have now.

Any particular boxes, tubs, or other I can use? I have a big blue plastic tub, but it's not square and makes packing the games awkward and I'm worried about damage during transit.

Let me know your thoughts and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it multiple times. I just use regular moving boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find I underestimate how much damage can be done internally to a board game, when pieces are loose and moving around in a box, regardless of how well they are packaged externally.

I would recommend taking some time to secure components in boxes, even just tossing in packing peanuts so there is no empty space can help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort the games out by publisher, and then by game box size. Publishers tend to put their games in similar sized boxes. The more you can put like sized with like sized, the less damage they do to each other.

Then pack your games on their sides, generally longest side first. By putting games on the side, they will impact on each other less. If you stack them vertically, the ones above will press on the ones below, and dent and compress them.

Your moving boxes will get banged about whatever you do. Putting the games sideways doesn't prevent damage, but minimises how much they damage each other.

Try to fill the box as much as possible but don't force games in. Don't drop little games in to fill space, they just ricochet around. Use clothes or scrunched paper to fill gaps.

Things like decks of cards will move around inside a game, and cardboard inserts will suffer too. If you have time, you can remove the contents, lift out the insert, carefully fold it flat along the existing cuts, and put it into the game box, covered by the rules and then the game board. Then the other items can be put in. The game board will keep things flat.

Some game boxes will tend to open up and may spill a bit. Put a rubber band around the game, but take care to remove all bands after moving. they decay and glue themselves to the games, especially when compressed.

If you don't have moving boxes, the strongest are to be got from luggage retailers, very big strong boxes. Visit a store, make friends and ask them for their old boxes before they cut or fold them up for recycling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to get boxes of different sizes. Many of the long game boxes are harder to accommodate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkelly17 wrote:
I find I underestimate how much damage can be done internally to a board game, when pieces are loose and moving around in a box, regardless of how well they are packaged externally.

I would recommend taking some time to secure components in boxes, even just tossing in packing peanuts so there is no empty space can help a lot.
Never put packing peanuts inside a game! You'll have little torn scraps of peanuts covering everything forever. Use paper or bubble wrap or something. But you shouldn't have loose bits in your game anyway... bag everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.