Popular Tags: [View All]
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened in a game tonight. In the situation below, due to greenhouse level rising, a biome shift north will occur, after which there will be 2 Dog-face animals in the horse latitude biome (the horse latitude biome does not shift up due to the Atlantic Rift).

The land biome will be discarded (lower climax), but the rooter can also survive on the sea biome as a herbivore. This is how both map animals end up in the same biome. Both are the same animal, so following the herbivore contest rules there is no winner. Who survives? We assumed that since the two animal counters are in fact the same animal, one automatically returns to the reserves. Correct? Not really a lost map animal due to competition, but still a loss for the Dog-face player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the marine biome can only support one animal, so one of the two Dogface animals dies.

This is a classic case of "The Florida Syndrome". When America was in the grips of an Ice Age, all the biomes fled south to avoid the ice. In the Eastern U.S., all the plants & animals jammed into the southern tip of Florida, making it as riotous and super-bio-diverse as are today's rainforests (and for the same reason).

When the weather finally warmed again, the forests of southernmost Florida expanded into the entire eastern seaboard. The nature of today's deciduous forests, and the autumn colors that make it so famous, would be markedly different and sparser had the Florida Peninsula been shorter by just 100 km.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mr Eklund/Phil! I thought this was an interesting example because normally the herbivore contest will help to find out which animal dies, but not here as both were in fact the same animal (in this case a 3-teeth nocturnal amphibian with manual dexterity). I believe it's not explicitly mentioned in the rules that the 3-teeth player then simply removes one figure from the biome, hence my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this in living rules:-
Note: If you have more than one adapted herbivore species of your color in a habitat, and neither has an advantage in niche or predator-defense, you choose which ones are removed. See 20.0 turn 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the answer to this question was quite clear, but the discussion got me thinking I may have been playing something wrong.

My question is, do you cull for the herbivores on the biome separately from the herbivores in the rooter triangle or is there just one cull involving both herbivores on the biome and in the rooter triangle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
See this in living rules:-
Note: If you have more than one adapted herbivore species of your color in a habitat, and neither has an advantage in niche or predator-defense, you choose which ones are removed. See 20.0 turn 20.

D'oh!!blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.