Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats. A legendary Seattle area gamestore is disappearing.

In addition to a large inventory of new/sealed games, Gary's Games has a large used game area with many out of print titles.

Subject: [Gary's Games and Hobbies] Gary announces his retirement
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:26:58 +0000
To: Gary's Games Mailing List

After 23+ years in Greenwood, it is happening, Gary has decided to retire!

So we are doing an in-store 40% off sale!

We are not restocking, so if there is something special you wanted don't miss this chance to come in and pick it up!

If you're not in the area, give us a call at 1-800-327-4292 so we can check to see if we have what you're looking for.

A special thank you to all of you who have supported us throughout the years, we couldn't have done it without you!

Gary's Games and Hobbies
http://pugetbridgesupply.com
8539 Greenwood Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98103
1-800-327-4292
mail@garysgamesandhobbies.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
owenmp wrote:

In addition to a large inventory of new/sealed games, Gary's Games has a large used game area with many out of print titles.

Subject: [Gary's Games and Hobbies] Gary announces his retirement
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:26:58 +0000
To: Gary's Games Mailing List

After 23+ years in Greenwood, it is happening, Gary has decided to retire!

So we are doing an in-store 40% off sale!

We are not restocking, so if there is something special you wanted don't miss this chance to come in and pick it up!

If you're not in the area, give us a call at 1-800-327-4292 so we can check to see if we have what you're looking for.

A special thank you to all of you who have supported us throughout the years, we couldn't have done it without you!

Gary's Games and Hobbies
http://pugetbridgesupply.com
8539 Greenwood Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98103
1-800-327-4292
mail@garysgamesandhobbies.com

I just happened by there yesterday and they had quite a selection of games left but were being bought out quickly.

They told me the doors would stay open until most of it had sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I passed through yesterday just before closing. Not a lot left, however I did spend more than I wanted to. Some things of note still there:
- Wings of War planes
- Miniatures
- A few Sails of Glory ships
- Lots of books
- Family party games and puzzles

Most of the games that are left are not worth the 40% discount(80% maybe), but there are still a few gems to find if you search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:

Not to self-promote or anything, but the manager at Gary's for twenty years is my business partner; if you are a lover of used games, out-of-print games, and all that jazz that Gary's was known for, it wouldn't hurt to pay us a visit and see what we have. Just sold a complete copy of the original Merchant of Venus and HeroQuest the other day.

The store's name is 'Round the Table and we're in the Lynnwood/Edmonds area. Maybe we'll see you around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Morgan
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Tim Morgan and I was the manager of Gary's Games and Hobbies for 23 years.

Gary is like a father to me, hiring me when I was 21, mentoring me through buying a house, raising a child and running a business. He is a great man and true friend. It was a very difficult decision to leave and start my own game store.

I had hoped that Gary's Games would survive without me, but between Gary's age and worsening health, I guess he decided it was time for some well deserved time off. I wish him the very best.

Gary's Games will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm 44 and I worked there for 23 years -- more than half my life. 36,000 hours or so. It was a home as well as a job. Gary and my fellow employees were like family.

I met so many people and made so many friends through Gary's. I helped raise a generation of gamers. I still run into people that I remember as awkward Magic-playing tweens that are now graduated from college and are full-fledged adults. Except for my wife, who I moved to Seattle with only a few months before getting the job at Gary's, all of my friends have come through Gary's.

And as much an influence I might have been on Gary's customers, Gary, the store, and those self-same customers have had a huge influence on me. I was an awkward, twenty-something in 1990 when I started there. They have helped make me the man I am today.

It is with great gratitude to Gary, my co-workers over the years (Joe, Rob, Brian, Todd, Mike and especially Kayce) and to all of you who have come to Gary's and made it what it was, that I offer this eulogy to such a wonderful store. It may be gone (or going) but it will always live on in our remembrances and in the impressions it has made on all of us.

--Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for the invitation. I plan on being a regular visitor to 'Round the Table starting this summer. Great to know the store has used games!

Success to you and Tim Morgan with the new venture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Are these the guys that made Ascension?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An era in Seattle has ended. Gary's Games and Hobbies is now closed. Thank you for all of the great memories. Long live the successor to Gary's Games: 'Round the Table Game Pub in Lynnwood. Love live the the neighbor to Gary's Games: Green Lake Games in Seattle.

'Round the Table Game Pub
http://www.rttgamepub.com

Green Lake Games
http://greenlakegames.crystalcommerce.com

Subject: [Gary's Games and Hobbies] Final Message
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:36:11 +0000
To: Newsletter Subscribers

Want to thank all of you for having come in a supported us over the past 20 plus years in Greenwood!

We regret to inform you that we are now closed.

Special thank you to everyone who has come in over the years to play game and generally hanging out with us. I know we have had a lot of fun getting to know all of you!

Also want o give a shout out to Green Lake Games for helping us out with the last bit of our remaining stock, and to the guys at Round the Table for giving a home to some of our most cherished items.

We are going to miss all of you!

Thanks,

The Staff of Gary's Games and Hobbies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.