7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Number of investigators question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Had a mystery that would be solved if "clues equal to half of investigators were on the card at the end of the mythos phase". As I was playing 3 investigators, this would require 2 clues to solve. There was 1 clue on the card already when one investigator was killed during the mythos phase leaving, of course, 2 investigators. Technically I now met the criteria to solve the mystery, but I also get to choose another investigator at the end of the mythos phase, so I'm not sure. I chose to not solve based on the logic that it began as a 3 investigator game but was thinking this situation could affect other aspects of mythos phase like: size of monster surges, clue spawn etc.
Interested what others might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's number of investigators in the game, not number of investigators alive at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first players Azathoth turns to ash are the Rules Lawyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way: after you've selected the appropriate reference card during setup, the values for clue spawns, gate spawns, monster surges, and number of investigators are defined by that card. And you're never told to replace the reference card during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
Look at it this way: after you've selected the appropriate reference card during setup, the values for clue spawns, gate spawns, monster surges, and number of investigators are defined by that card. And you're never told to replace the reference card during the game.

The key thing to remember here is that although the symbol represents "the number of investigators" it is much more ideal to think that any time the symbol appears on the cards you DO NOT think of it as "number of investigators" but as "the number next to this symbol on the reference card". The reference card is king in all respects; just follow the numbers on that and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I can tell, dead investigators aren't removed... they're left on the board so their allies can loot their bodies. So if anything, if the number of investigators were to change for this purpose, the investigator count would go up rather than down.

And I think we can all agree that that would be bad in a "crossing the streams" kind of way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lerris wrote:
As far as I can tell, dead investigators aren't removed... they're left on the board so their allies can loot their bodies.
They aren't dead, they are crippled or insane, that's how come you can encounter them and gain a benefit other than just grabbing their gear.

At some point in the game the number of Investigators can go down: Investigators defeated once the AO has woken up result in player elimination. However, this does not affect the "Investigator Count", otherwise the rules that handle this would say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.