Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive never played any train games, including Ticket to Ride. I like way heavier games now so I have no interest in playing Ticket to Ride at all. Is this pretty good but a lot more complex? Would you suggest this or Trains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a huge range of train games out there, Dustin. Some of my favorite train games are from the 18xx family; these are quite a bit more demanding than Ticket to Ride, though I like Ticket to Ride. My other favorite games are from the crayon rails family, including in particular Empire Builder, India Rails and Eurorails.

But Russian Railroads is a fine worker placement game with a train setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't really a "train" game like the Steam series or 18xx. It is a worker placement game that is a little bit lighter than Caylus or Agricola. I happen to think it's an excellent game. But it is just a worker placement game, and it isn't super heavy. The game only takes at most 90 mins with 4-people that have played it a couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You walked into a minefield. The debate over "what is a train game?" goes on in some form or another around here nearly every day.

In my view, you want to get a game where you are building track to run trains on with a shared map. While Russian Railroads is a fine game, and does integrate trains thematically as you need to buy trains and build sufficient track for them to run on in order to gather various game bonuses, it does not really feel like you're doing anything with trains when playing.

You might consider one of the Crayon Rails games, where you spend money to extend your rail network and then use trains to deliver goods from one city to another to make money. I believe Eurorails is a fine choice and is still available from the usual online vendors. It's a good next step and does not have the complexity of games in the terrific 18xx series, which might be another step up in a year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:
Ive never played any train games, including Ticket to Ride. I like way heavier games now so I have no interest in playing Ticket to Ride at all. Is this pretty good but a lot more complex? Would you suggest this or Trains?

Though I love RR so far, I guess if I was to pick one ultimate train game in my collection, you can't go too far wrong with Steam/age of Steam for building track and delivering goods. RR feels more abstracted in it's nature. But at the same time has an interesting spin to a 'train game'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wizardless wrote:
spunXtain wrote:

Though I love RR so far, I guess if I was to pick one ultimate train game in my collection, you can't go too far wrong with Steam/age of Steam for building track and delivering goods. RR feels more abstracted in it's nature. But at the same time has an interesting spin to a 'train game'

I also love Age of Steam (less intererested in Steam), and personally prefer it to my earlier recommendation of Eurorails. But will stick with Eurorails recommendation because Age of Steam is:

1. At least 1.5 steps up in complexity, somewhere between the Crayon Rails series and 18xx.

2. Less thematically coherent than the Crayon Rails series is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like train games and I find the theme in Russian Railroads interesting, but at the same time it just doesn't scratch the train game itch a bit. To me, a train game must have network building - the track building in RR doesn't count.

For heavier games, I'll second the recommendations for EuroRails and Age of Steam / Steam. For lighter games, Trains is pretty good. However, while EuroRails and Age of Steam are clearly train games and Russian Railroads is clearly a worker placement game with a train theme, Trains is kind of in between being a train game and just a deck-builder with a train theme, if you know what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Think I'll look into EuroRails and Age of Steam for my first "train" game. Not really looking for another worker placement until I get The Manhattan Project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are at all crafty, I would also suggest putting together a print and play copy if 1889. Or attempt to find a retail copy.

Steam or railways of the world are great games too. Although I think 18xx might be the pinnicle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Train to Nuremberg is another option for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:

Any of us could tell you what our own individual "best" train game is, but a more objective view can be had from the ratings. I checked the average rating of games with at least 500 votes, and Russian Railroads is indeed the "best" on that basis. Obviously though, it's a moot point whether this is a "train game" in the usual sense. I reckon most of us think of building networks and actually running railroads, which is not what RR is about.

So the top average ratings, excluding RR on the basis that it's not a train game in the normal sense, are for 1830, Steam, Age of Steam, and Railways of the World. I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like worker placement games, then I think you'll like this one, especially if you like trained themed games.

Head over to the Rahdo Runs Through video where he plays through several turns. I think it will help you decide.

Just be aware that he's doing the 2 player. I've done nothing but 4 player games, which I think is it's sweet spot. It is probably my favorite game right now, but I love WP games.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads has almost nothing to do with Railroads, and even less to do with Russia.

EDIT: Still a fine game for what it is, but don't let the name fool you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're looking for a "Train" game, then Russian Railroads isn't that game.

If you're looking for a "Great" game - then RR is one of the best!

Train Games I recommend - Steam, Railways of the World are my favorites as I think the 18XX series a bit too heavy/fiddly, and more of an investment type game.

As to Russian Railroads - it's basically a train themed game. You are building three tracks (but not on a map) and you are developing the industry in "Russia" (though it could be anywhere). Definitely one of the better worker placement games I've played. And if you're comparing this to "Manhattan Project", then I'd definitely recommend Russian Railroads. Better than most any worker placement I own (and I own a lot of them).

Finally, for a rail game, I personally prefer Steam to Age of Steam but your experience may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could retheme this game to have nothing to do with trains and no one would claim it was a train game at all. It has none of the traditional elements of "train games" such as route building, pick-up-and-deliver, etc. The "trainess" of this game is entirely in the theme alone.

That being said it's an incredible game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the comments here; but if you are interested in a thematic train game with worker placement, Snowdonia is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is great, but to me for a game to be a classic train game you need to build a network of rails and I prefer some delivery.

I suggest Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hills
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:

Trains is likewise a lightish game, best described as Dominion with a map.

My favourite so-called "train game" is Power Grid. Although the theme of Power Grid is building power lines rather than railway lines, it "feels" much more like a "train game" than Russian Railroads does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a train game even though it is very simple. It is a fun family game that people of all ages an abilities can play. Russian Railroads is a great worker placement game that has a slight train theme painted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really feel like Power Grid is a train game. Just my 2 cents.

It is a mathy auction game where you buy resources and convert them to victory. There is a network for sure, but all that it is really used for is not getting blocked for expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I don't really feel like Power Grid is a train game. Just my 2 cents.

It is a mathy auction game where you buy resources and convert them to victory. There is a network for sure, but all that it is really used for is not getting blocked for expansion.

Power Grid is a "train" game as much as any of the Crayon Rails games as it evolved from Empire Builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

Except for the part where in Empire Builder you pick up commodities where they are grown, mined, or manufactured and then deliver them to a place of demand.

And the part where you upgrade to buy larger, faster trains.

And the part where there are, you know, rails and trains.

None of which are done or are present in Power Grid.

Other than those sorts of issues, you are dead on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether or not Power Grid has "trains" and "rails" in the game doesn't really mean anything to me. That's the sort of chrome that's present in Russian Railroads but that ultimately is just stuff that's pasted on.

However, the fact that the only things you care about in your Power Grid network are its "size" and its "cost to increase its size" make it a pretty shallow train game at best, imo.

Empire Builder made it valuable for players to, e.g., specifically connect "Dallas" to "NYC". Power Grid shed all of that in its evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Kauk wrote:
Power Grid is a "train" game as much as any of the Crayon Rails games as it evolved from Empire Builder.

It's predecessor, Funkenschlag, actually has crayons and a crayon rail-like board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.