BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Time Pirates
3 players: *Rick*, Jy, Dan
Avg enjoyment: 7.67

Last week a few guys had played Time Pirates and it looked intriguing, so with 3 of us at the table waiting for 2 others to arrive, I asked to play this one. The rules are quite simple and it wasn't long before we were right into the game. Rick and I had never played before but Rick picked up on it right away and started out leading thru the first round.

Gameplay is fairly straight forward: on you turn you get 2 or 3 regular actions and unlimited special actions. There are 3 types of regular action: take an artifact, travel to a different time period, or travel to the black market area to fill contracts (with the artifacts you've collected.) There are five colors of artifacts, and therefore five colors of contract. Each contract has a point value with bonus points awarded for most points in a color. Basically the game consists of set collecting with a 'Time Police' pawn which randomly moves from time period to time period. Scoring rounds are very Alan Moon-ish, with scoring tiles (Time Police) popping up -- every 8th tile triggers a scoring round.

The game went pretty well with Rick getting lots of valuable contracts and also getting contracts in the different colors which would eventually net him some bonus points. He grabbed a huge lead in orange. The first round was close, but Rick really had his way in this game. Poor Dan got hammered by the Time Police in the 3rd round, and I accidentally cheated when I moved the wrong pawn on the board and nobody noticed.

Scores: Rick 95, Jy 75, Dan 69

Ratings: Rick 8, Jy 7, Dan 8
Group avg: 7.67

The game uses a time travel theme but the theme is fairly weak in this one. The artwork is a nice change of pace though (at least it's not more castles and forests like so many other games) but ultimately this is ajust a set collecting game with some neat twists thrown in. One problem I'd heard about and found to be true is that the cumulative scoring means that whoever leads in the first round will probably win. And that kind of killed it. There is not really a way to catch the leader unless the leader gets caught by the Time Police several times. It had it's moments though and made a good impression. Rick found it to be a brainburner -- I didn't, but maybe that's why I lost! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.