Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This time I mean it.

Last time I tried this I realized we really didn't have a good handle on rule disputes, probably didn't have enough players, and my life went crazy for the last year dealing with an older family member who was tricked into selling their property for next to nothing.

I think now we are ready to do this.

The structure is going to be just like March Madness tournaments. So, a series 2 player games -- loser is out and the winner advances. Ranking match ups will be done in the same way.

Game: Base Runebound -- all item and challenge decks. No big box items will be included.

Rules: We will use the standard Runebound and our PBF house rules but no hero nerfing.

Tournament Rules:
1. Expect players to take a turn each day.
2. Expect players to notify each other if they need to take a break from the game. No set time limit for the break -- a few days or a week for a vacation or big life event is fine. A month is probably pushing it.
3. If a player has not posted a turn within 24 hours, then a friendly reminder should be posted to the thread and their geekmail.
4. If another 48 hours pass since the reminder then the missing player forfeits the game (unless they have a good reason).
5. Whoever is more comfortable with the admin commands should create the game.
6. Game creator is not a "GM" for that game. Any disputes will be put to a vote to settle if needed.
7. Each player is expected to check the prior player's turn for mistakes. Any mistakes should be pointed out then and corrected.
8. Any cheaters are banned -- not that if felt anyone has ever cheated before.

Players: Open to anyone who has played at least 1 PBF game. If we have too many players than lower ranked players are bumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proposed Divisions:

I figure we start with Dragon Lords and if this goes well do the other divisions. At the end when we have four heroes we can determine how to pick a winner, considering it could be the same player who won multiple divisions.

Since each division has only 14 heroes than 2 people would get byes in the 1st round. I don't see a better way of doing this.

Dragon Lords
* 12 Basegame Heroes
* 2 Promo Heroes (random picks)

Frozen Mists
* 6 Frozen Wastes Heroes
* 6 Mists of Zanaga Heroes
* 2 Promo Heroes (random picks)

Island Sands
* 8 Island of Dread Heroes
* 6 Sands of Al-Kalim Heroes

Midnight Dungeon
* 8 Midnight Heroes
* 6 Dungeon Quest Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rankings:

Proposed ranking system is based on number of games won. For players tied on number of wins, they will be sub ranked based on highest number of games played. If still tied, ranking will be determined randomly. Only completed games count. Only the player completing the game gets credit. Any players who dropped out of the game receives no credit for that game.

This system seems simple to determine ranking and makes sure the players who played more games are ranked higher, while keeping winners at the top. I am willing to consider other systems.

Proposed Game Weights:

I have a few thoughts.

(1) Take all the games completed as of today and assign randomly to each division. Players ranking for that division is only based on the games assigned. All divisions rankings would be determined as of today and not change.

(2) Games are assigned to the division it matches. So all base games go to Dragon Lords. All Island and Sands games go to Island Sands. The small box expansions could go to Midnight Dungeon. Rankings wouldn't be determined until that division starts.

Hero Pick:

At the beginning of the division the highest ranked player gets to pick first from the available heroes followed by the other players in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players
1. Drew
2. Erik
3. Thomas
4. Mike Stack
5. Jesper
6. Adam
7. Carey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post here if you want to sign up.

Also, free to any suggestions or additional rules but trying to keep it pretty simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everone has read your previous thread. I don't think it is clear you are talking about doing a bracket to see which is the best character.

Also, we are all a bunch of nerds (and non-americans) here, I would not assume everone knows what march madness tournament format is. Maybe set up the bracket now and show everyone a picture?

I assume we can take on as many games as we can handle? It is not clear whether we just pick a hero and stick with it or just play games to try to fill in the bracket. I would suggest the latter.

I honestly have read through your entire posts 5 times and I am still confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let see if I can make it more clear. I thought since BBG does Geek Madness every year based on March Madness it would be easier to explain it is just like that or maybe I should have said it is just like Highlander -- there can be only one.

Everyone who enters the tournament will be ranked based on how well they played in prior PBF games (ranking is still TBD). The highest ranked player picks a single hero to use in that division, followed by the 2nd ranked player and so on.

The short version is if you don't get the bracket single elimination format don't get hung up on it. The short version is everyone gets 1 hero for that divisions tournament. If you win you keep playing until you lose or you beat everyone -- then you get the prize and go on a picnic.

For example, we have 4 player tourney using only the promo heroes. The players are ranked as follows with their hero pick:
1) SirWash picks Jonas
2) Holmes picks Nara
3) Milo picks Tobin
4) Clip picks Kel

Round 1

(1) Sir Wash (Jonas) vs (4) Clip (Kel)
Winner: Sir Wash

(2) Holmes (Nara) vs (3) Milo (Tobin)
Winner: Milo

The two losers are eliminated. The winners advance to the next round keeping their same heroes.

Round 2
(1) Sir Wash (Jonas) vs (3) Milo (Tobin)
Winner: Sir Wash

In order for the tournament tree to balance you need to have either 4 players, 8 players, 16 players, 32 players, 64 players and so on. The tournament is a single round elimination. Each round all remaining players are paired up -- the winners advance and losers are eliminated.

For example, if you have 16 players.
Round 1: 16 players play 8 games
Round 2: 8 players play 4 games
Round 3: 4 players play 2 games
Round 4: 2 players play 1 game

We have 56 Runebound heroes but not that many PBF players. If we want to do all the heroes eventually then PBF players will have to play multiple heroes and we don't want players to have multiple heroes in the same division. There are two ways to divide it to:

1) 4 Divisions each with 14 heroes with 1 player hero. This allows all heroes to be used. In order to deal with being short two player/heroes, the 1st and 2nd ranked player/heroes would get 1st round byes, which means they are not matched and advance to the 2nd round. Ideally, we would need 14 PBF players.
2) 4 Divisions with 8 heroes with 1 player hero. This would only allow 32 heroes to be used in the tournament but allow players to pick from the full pool -- this kind of assumes that the unpicked heroes never had a chance anyway. This does avoid us having to use byes. If we can only get 8 players this is what we will have to do.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is last years Geek Madness bracket if that helps:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we need to sign up here I'm in.

I'll be ranked pretty low though- if you need to bump someone you can pick me first that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
If we need to sign up here I'm in.

I'll be ranked pretty low though- if you need to bump someone you can pick me first that's fine.

Considering how many players we need, I seriously doubt it will come to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So once you're put into a bracket and randomly get your Hero you keep the same Hero until you lose 1 game or win all your games?

In any case count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you can count me in. Though I find a lot of this a bit confusing wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
I guess you can count me in. Though I find a lot of this a bit confusing wow

Two men enter -- one man leaves.

There can be only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeS8i2 wrote:
So once you're put into a bracket and randomly get your Hero you keep the same Hero until you lose 1 game or win all your games?

In any case count me in.

You would get to pick based how high your are ranked. Highest ranged player gets to pick first and so on.

We have the heroes divided into 4 divisions or pools. In each division you would be ranked. You pick a hero for that division. We keep playing 2 player games with the loser eliminated until only one player is left. That player wins the division.

Later we would do other divisions the same way.

Eventually we end up with the four heroes who won their divisions. Hopefully we have different players playing them -- worry about that when it comes. The four remaining players/heroes pair off. Two winners are left for the final round.

Who ever wins gets the honor of being the best Runebound player of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun and I'm of course in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lamb
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bite. Love to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are getting closer to the 14 we need. I know there are easily enough RB PBFers to fill this out. If you are confused about something let me know but it really isn't that complex once I get enough people to show the seedings in each division.

I have been thinking about the rankings and how to seed each of the four divisions. I think the best approach is to:

* Rank the 14 players based on all games completed by the start of the tournament.
* The top 4 ranked players (1-4) will each have a #1 seed (get to pick hero first) in one of the divisions. Highest ranked picks the division first and so on until the 4th ranked player takes the last division.
* I will just auto-assign at this point, so players 5-8 get a #2 seed and so on. You would not get to pick a division, you would be automatically assigned a seed in each division.

The chart would look like this. A-D are place holders for the Divisions. The numbers 1-14 refer to the ranking of the players.

Seed 1 A1 B2 C3 D4
Seed 2 A5 B6 C7 D8
Seed 3 A9 B10 C11 D12
Seed 4 A13 B14 C4 D3
Seed 5 A2 B1 C8 D7
Seed 6 A6 B5 C12 D11
Seed 7 A10 B9 C2 D1
Seed 8 A14 B13 C6 D5
Seed 9 A4 B3 C10 D9
Seed 10 A8 B7 C14 D13
Seed 11 A12 B11 C1 D2
Seed 12 A3 B4 C5 D6
Seed 13 A7 B8 C9 D10
Seed 14 A11 B12 C13 D14

What this means is we will have everyone ranked and seeded into each division before the tournament starts. Everyone can pick a hero for each division and we can get the full playoff bracket published. Players can play games in any division that is ready to go. This helps avoid the issue of which games to use for each division, gives the best players at least 1 good seed, helps spread everyone out so we hopefully don't have the same player going against themselves in the semi-finals or finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm in, since it looks like we can choose our own pacing. I like the "just go if you're ready to go" method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amd there may have been 14 players or more historically, but a lot of those have retired (kevin, areinu, marlowesplade, toddwf, lorien4) or semi-retired (me, mishugashu, you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I retire from Runebound PBF do I get a Pension?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeS8i2 wrote:
If I retire from Runebound PBF do I get a Pension?

You get just get 3 Gold and a Banner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
War.... War never changes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.