Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
You can see from my profile that I've been in the hobby for a couple of months. I love it. I thought I'd have a little fun while learning more about specific games. We love Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassonne, Dominion, TTR: Europe, and Power Grid. We've not gotten into heavy games yet but I think we probably will. So, here's the deal. I've built a top 40 bracket of games I want. I thought I'd have a simple 'tournament' to see what you experts think. I've put games against each other and will keep the winners of the poll in the contest. So, please pick the game that you'd pick for us and share any thoughts you might have. I recognize that I may have some pairings that include games from opposite sides of the hobby. Even then, I appreciate your comments and preferences. So which game do you prefer (and why, if you'd be so kind to include your thoughts)?
Tikal
Concordia
      16 answers
Poll created by okduke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia is the hotness right now. But Tikal has more replay value IMO. Look how long after it's release people are still talking about and recommending Tikal. Concordia will be forgotten in 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Australia
Nollamara
WA
flag msg tools
Get Tikal on the iPad to try it out first.
If you don't have an iPad, get an iPad first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed playing Concordia and found it to be an elegant game up until the closing few rounds which feel like they disconnect from the rest of the game.

It's a Euro that does little unique but does it very well.

I think it will benefit from having a group that has equal play experience so there is competition and awareness of the tableau cards scoring mechanism. First game or two it's something you need to remind yourself of that the cards are how you score points and power of collecting sets and preventing other players from just pushing one suit.

Unfortunately I know nothing of Tikal. I've refrained form the vote but would say Concordia is worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Concordia. But Tikal is a fine game. But unfortunately, if you play without the auction variant, there's too much luck in the tile draw; but if you play with the auction variant, it slows the game down too much. So neither one is completely fulfilling to me. But Concordia is just super smooth. A healthy dose or variability in setup, and just a smidgen of randomness during the game (the order the cards come out), with plenty of time for players to react to it. It's been a hit with everyone I've played with so far. Tikal may have secured a higher place in boardgame history because of the significantly lower amount of competition with other games when it came out. Today there are zillion of great new games. But Concordia will certainly not be forgotten in 2 years, any more than the designer's Navegador from 2010, which is still in the top 100. I'm not sure if Concordia will catch Navegador, but I prefer Concordia (mainly due to lesser player order binding issues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.