Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Challenge: Pure Jem'Hadar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a mental exercise, I'm interested in seeing what others can come up with for a competitive pure Jem'Hadar 100 pt build.

Obviously will include the Battleship and one or two patrol ships as escorts. Sorry, no Hideki Fighters.

Weyoun and those guys are allowed of course.

No cards that are explicitly Cardassian or Breen can be included, but cards that are "neutral" Dominion can be used like Dorsal Weapons Array and Captured Intelligence, etc.

Love to see what you come up with! Thx!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accepted. How about:

34 Jem'Hadar Battleship
02 Luaren
01 Dorsal Weapoms Array (3-2=1l
20 JH Attack Ship
03 Gelnon
20 JH Attack Ship
20 JH Attack ship
100 total

Not ment for tournament play but could be nasty in casual.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resource: Flagship Dominion (10)

5th Wing Patrol Ship (22)
Gelnon (3)
Omet'Iklan (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 35

4th Division Battleship (36)
Weyoun (4)
Flagship (0)
Ikat'Ika (5)
Ixtana'Rax (2)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Tetryon Emissions (3)
Shroud (1)
Ship SP: 54

Total Build SP: 99

If your group allows AO's, I think dropping the patrol ship's torp and putting those 5 points for Strike Force would be a strong option.

As is, this list gives the patrol ship some punch, and the battleship some defense.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this?

4th Division (36) + Weyoun 7 (5) + Ometiklan (5-1=4) + Tetryon Emissions (3)+ Ixtana (2-1) + Shroud (1)

5th Wing (22)+ Gelnon (3)

Attack Ship (20) + Luaran (2) Kudaketan (4-2) + Shroud (1)

If you don't think it too Cardassian I'd knock Ixtana and the shroud off to use Captured Intelligence on Weyoun.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Generic Battleship (34)
Flagship [Indpendent Federation] (10)
Weyoun-6 (4)
Ikat'Ika (5)

4th DivisionBattleship (36)
Lauran (2)
Omet'Iklan (5-2=3)
Toman'Torax (5)
Shroud (1)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone...great work!

We did one without AO's and Flagship and came up with:

5th Wing Patrol Ship (22)
Gelnon (3)
Toman'Torax (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 35

4th Division Battleship (36)
Weyoun (5)
Ketracell-White (2)
Omet'Iklan (4)
Virak'Kara (4)
Ixtana'Rax (2)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Tetryon Emissions (3)
Ship SP: 65

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html


It did really well in a playtest with a known Romulan contender for OP6.

We were actually surprised at how well it did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without AO the other day, I ran 4 Jem'haddar Attack ships, with 3 die phased polaron beams.

Long story short, the experiment was a success, and you can bypass the shields on a borg ship with them to battle only 7 hull. So after 1 sphere went down, and the other sat there, the person across the table started declaring the borg too fragile, and that they'll come with upgrades to passively negate damage, but I know that no matter what they have, the Jem'haddar and the breen will be waiting.

So:

4 x Jem'haddar attack ship 20
4 x Phased polaron beam 5

total 100

Kills borg, federation, and anything else hoping that their shields of 4+ will help them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:
Without AO the other day, I ran 4 Jem'haddar Attack ships, with 3 die phased polaron beams.

Long story short, the experiment was a success, and you can bypass the shields on a borg ship with them to battle only 7 hull. So after 1 sphere went down, and the other sat there, the person across the table started declaring the borg too fragile, and that they'll come with upgrades to passively negate damage, but I know that no matter what they have, the Jem'haddar and the breen will be waiting.

So:

4 x Jem'haddar attack ship 20
4 x Phased polaron beam 5

total 100

Kills borg, federation, and anything else hoping that their shields of 4+ will help them.

Eh... Borg? Do you have information the rest of us don't?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That polaron beam is nice in theory, but when you're running against superior captain skill most competitive fleets are going to be able to drop one a turn before they get to shoot. Crede experto...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
charles_skrobis wrote:
Without AO the other day, I ran 4 Jem'haddar Attack ships, with 3 die phased polaron beams.

Long story short, the experiment was a success, and you can bypass the shields on a borg ship with them to battle only 7 hull. So after 1 sphere went down, and the other sat there, the person across the table started declaring the borg too fragile, and that they'll come with upgrades to passively negate damage, but I know that no matter what they have, the Jem'haddar and the breen will be waiting.

So:

4 x Jem'haddar attack ship 20
4 x Phased polaron beam 5

total 100

Kills borg, federation, and anything else hoping that their shields of 4+ will help them.


Eh... Borg? Do you have information the rest of us don't?



I think he is just proxying from the preview of the Borg sphere sneak peek...
Borg Sphere 4270 details shown!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem with any PURE Jem'hadar/Vorta build is that there just isn't ENOUGH of it in the game to fully outfit the ships. For captains, you've got Weyoun, Lauren, and Gelnon.

Gelnon isn't good on a Battleship, because your action is better used on Target Lock or Battle Stations. Weyoun isn't good on an Attack Ship, because it's too fragile; you don't want to equip a lot of crew on it when it's just going to get blown up. Lauren just isn't good. Nine times out of ten, there's no difference between her and a generic.

The best Dominion captains are all Cardassians.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
if he was proxying we have no idea what the borg can do they will be able to adapt very fast and counter a lot. its not far to say they are weak yet.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very tough, as the Jem'Hadar have hands-down the worst crew options in the game, as far as species go. They also don't have anyway to make the most out of "Suicide Attack," as they'll basically be forced to roll 8 unmodified dice and just hope for the best (statistically, that means tanking ~25 points for an expected 4 Hits, which the opponent gets to roll defense against!).


Which means you're forced to run the Jem'Hadar attack ships as actual combat ships that need to pull their own weight, or you're forced to go double battleship. Either way, yikes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
The problem with any PURE Jem'hadar/Vorta build is that there just isn't ENOUGH of it in the game to fully outfit the ships. For captains, you've got Weyoun, Lauren, and Gelnon.

Gelnon isn't good on a Battleship, because your action is better used on Target Lock or Battle Stations. Weyoun isn't good on an Attack Ship, because it's too fragile; you don't want to equip a lot of crew on it when it's just going to get blown up. Lauren just isn't good. Nine times out of ten, there's no difference between her and a generic.

The best Dominion captains are all Cardassians.


I disagree with your assessment of the captains. While Gelnon's ability does use an action, its also still a possibility to get a Battle Stations token. I know its not the most ideal, but its a chance to do up to 2 damage, and maybe a battle stations token (and 1 damage). I do agree with what you said about Weyoun. And Luaran is one of the best captains for Dominion because she is, in practice, a zero cost captain with better than 1 skill. Taking her means I can still spend all 100 of my points on ships, upgrades and other captains. All that needs to be done is to have one upgrade on her ship that isn't Shroud.

In any case, I do agree with the overall sentiment that there isn't enough Jem'Hadar/Vorta to offer enough to build a truly competitive fleet. And the Cardassians are actually the backbone of the Dominion fleet in this game...and in the Alpha Quadrant as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Cardassians are by far the best, and the attack ship is worthless unless it's blocking and filling out points for a battleship. I still feel like Sar is the unsung hero of the Dominion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Yep, Cardassians are by far the best, and the attack ship is worthless unless it's blocking and filling out points for a battleship. I still feel like Sar is the unsung hero of the Dominion.


It's been my experience that people who think the attack ship tend not to understand their true function in a fleet. What many want from their ships is either an extremely low cost or a ship that can be used as a primary attacker. For some reason there is no perceived middle ground. But that's exactly where the attack ships work. They are the support ships for the Dominion. I've done quite well with a Koranak and 2 attack ships. Basically, the Koranak will punch holes in opposing ships and the attack ships will swoop in and clean up. They also served as flankers for the Koranak to discourage any tailgating. They allowed my Koranak to always target the strongest ships in the opposing fleet rather than having it waste its shots to finish off a crippled ship. And they are cheap enough that you can add a couple of upgrades, I like the Phased Polarons they came with, to give them more of a sting.

As for Sar, I really like him as a captain, but its more because of his 1pt cost than anything else. He's a bargain, but I won't go out of my way to include him. Same as Luaran. Actually I usually find that its easier to include Luaran because she is basically free.

In any case, I have high hopes for the Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser. Once that is released, the Dominion should be a real threat. And pure Jem'Hadar fleets will be much more balanced. ...I hope...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.