Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Too hard for two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing with 2 players and we won just once out of 10 plays.cry
Is this game too hard for two players to win or are we useless snore?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend both players playing two heroes.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think that the game would scale a little better if the hand sizes changed based on the number of players. I think 2p can be challenging (still winnable though) and 4p is a bit easy.

Something like this might work for you:

2p - 12 cards
3p - 10 cards
4p - 8 cards

Think of it this way. Based on the regular rules in a 4p game the heroes have 40 cards in their hands whereas in a 2p game the heroes have just 20 cards spread among their hands.

I for one like the game to be a bit challenging, the victories are more memorable that way so perhaps it really is more the case that 4p is a bit too easy and maybe that concerns me more. Nevertheless it is still an excellent game!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't have any problems with the challenge of just the base game with only 2 Heroes, I think the best and most fun way to make the game a bit easier with fewer Heroes (especially when using 1 or more of the tougher Dragon Generals) is to use Richard's Official Royal Blessings variant from the Dragon Expansion. Richard explains it in a post HERE.

Have fun and keep Defending the Realm! cool
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game two-player, and won about 50% of the time. We always follow the rules and play one character each. So no, it's not too hard for two players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Bergstrom
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Dragon Expansion on the other hand is arguably too hard with two Heroes.
I have been one irritating wound from victory as best in 6 or 7 tries.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I now use the Royal Blessings variant and the game is more balanced. Still I have lost twice for only one failed die! cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel,

I feel your pain.

This is my wife's favourite game. We didn't have much problem with the base game and only two heroes either.

Have recently purchased the Dragon expansion and so far have only managed to kill two dragons before losing. Glad to know you're getting closer than us. It gives us something to strive towards.

I won't try to make it easier just yet, where is the fun in that?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorien,

It took a few attempts to get up to speed but I think the base game is achievable with 2 heroes without the blessings etc.

Being aggressive and lucky on the dice rolls helps though!

Good luck and keep trying.

As for the dragons...

R
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Rood, you give me hope!

I guess it was bad luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
farbrorplast wrote:
The Dragon Expansion on the other hand is arguably too hard with two Heroes.
I have been one irritating wound from victory as best in 6 or 7 tries.


Are we talking Ghost Stories hard? I am about to buy it but will likely have 2 players most of the time.

Also what would be more challenging for 2 do you think, allowing 12 cards or using the Royal Blessing variant? Ta.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roodbird wrote:
 
Have recently purchased the Dragon expansion and so far have only managed to kill two dragons before losing.


Just out of curiosity, where were you able to purchase the Dragon exp? Did you get it new? And did you have to pay thru the nose for it? I've been trying to get my own copy, but not have to sell my children for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
farbrorplast wrote:
The Dragon Expansion on the other hand is arguably too hard with two Heroes.
I have been one irritating wound from victory as best in 6 or 7 tries.


Are we talking Ghost Stories hard? I am about to buy it but will likely have 2 players most of the time.

Also what would be more challenging for 2 do you think, allowing 12 cards or using the Royal Blessing variant? Ta.


My wife and I play 2-players versions all the time with the expansion. We use the Royal Blessings and add in an Agent of the Dark Lord. We also throw in the Global Effects as well. No other changes to the game. It seems pretty well balanced for us. I think maybe I added the extra All is Quiet card to the Darkness Spreads deck to make it a very tiny bit easier, but we still play with 10-card hand limits. You really have to team up on every agent battle with a large amount of cards to win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Bergstrom
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was a bit vague with what I meant by the Expansion, which can be used in many ways.
I was referring too scenario 1 with all 4 dragons (and Mike doesn't seem to refer to that scenario since he is using agents).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4P is too hard. First play of the game wife and I used two char each b/c I figured it would be easier. Well, we got stomped royally. We lost because of creeps causing taint spreading to another adj zone which would taint again (but not spread more creeps) It just became too much after they spread way faster than we could clear out and eventually ran out of crystals.

We were wiping them out like crazy as I played the wizard/ranger and used the wiz abilty to discard a card of the same color of minions and wipe them all out with 2+ roll and still wasn't good enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
4P is too hard. First play of the game wife and I used two char each b/c I figured it would be easier. Well, we got stomped royally. We lost because of creeps causing taint spreading to another adj zone which would taint again (but not spread more creeps) It just became too much after they spread way faster than we could clear out and eventually ran out of crystals.

We were wiping them out like crazy as I played the wizard/ranger and used the wiz abilty to discard a card of the same color of minions and wipe them all out with 2+ roll and still wasn't good enough.

Using 2 characters is not going to make any of this easier because it is more difficult to get to all of the trouble spots with fewer characters. Mobility is the biggest issue you will face with fewer characters (the Wizard and Paladin help mitigate this). Your extreme loss sounds like bad luck, bad strategy, or a combination of both.

You don't need to spend extra actions to wipe out ALL of the Minions at a Location - many times getting Locations down to 1 Minion is enough. In the end, WHERE you remove the Minions from becomes more important than "wiping them out like crazy". Some Locations are more susceptible to being overrun. The Locations in the Generals' paths (especially their next stop), for example, are Locations you need to pay special attention to.

Break out the game and try again with the wife - I'm sure you'll do much better against the Dark Lord's forces next time!

Keep Defending the Realm, Andrew! cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
roodbird wrote:
 
Have recently purchased the Dragon expansion and so far have only managed to kill two dragons before losing.


Just out of curiosity, where were you able to purchase the Dragon exp? Did you get it new? And did you have to pay thru the nose for it? I've been trying to get my own copy, but not have to sell my children for it.



Really sorry for the delay but have only just seen this!

I managed to get a copy on ebay for around £30 (about what it would cost new here in the UK) - which is great considering it was in unpunched condition and of course long out of print.

Then to my amazement last summer I was in York and popped in to a small games shop called Travelling Man only to find two brand new, in shrink copies on a shelf at the back of the shop.

Travelling Man is based in Leeds and have a website which said they were out of stock. I can only assume that the York branch is just a smaller outlet and so their shelf stock is unrelated to the website.

I'm not sure how much this is relevant for you since postage prices to the USA could well be enormous but if you, or any one in the UK looking for this expansion, contact the York branch directly they may well still have a copy. I reiterate their computer says out of stock but if you can persuade someone to actually go and look on the shelf they may well surprise themselves. They were very friendly and the whole shop is only the size of an average (British) living room so it'd only take a couple of minutes to check.

Hope this helps.

RB

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.