Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » News

Subject: GTM: 169 talks about Dice Masters OP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, this was pointed out on HCRealms (by DrmngCelestial) a while back and I just thought it would have made it's way over by now.

But it appears at least some haven't seen it yet, so I'll re-post over here;

=========================

OP for AVX DiceMasters
from GTM 169:

Dice Masters’ head-to-head game play is perfect for tournament play! With the release of Marvel Dice Masters, WizKids Games will be launching the Marvel Dice Masters Avengers vs. X-Men Storyline Organized Play (OP) event series. This 6-month Organized Play event follows the Marvel Avengers vs. X-Men storyline. Stores carrying Marvel Dice Masters will have the opportunity to purchase OP kits for each month of the event series that contain participation prizes for up to 10 players and an exclusive, alternate character card for the winner of the event. In the final month of the OP series, the player with the best overall record through the event series will be awarded a special Grand Prize - the Phoenix Force!

The Phoenix Force Grand Prize is a special card unique to this storyline Organized Play Program, and includes a unique special die as well! The monthly competitive prizes feature alternate artwork (selected specifically from the AvX series from Marvel Comics) that corresponds to characters (and dice!) from the AvX base set, and each of these alternate art competitive prizes also features new abilities for its corresponding character as well! Last and certainly not least, the monthly participation prizes are Basic Action Cards that feature all-new effects! All this exciting content will be exclusive to the Marvel Dice Masters Avengers vs. X-Men storyline Organized Play program!

(Legible copies of 6+ cards visible on GT's site)

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/58/581?articleID=1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no... In could live with blind buys, but exclusive dice? I wonder if this would be available in Singapore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Last and certainly not least, the monthly participation prizes are Basic Action Cards that feature all-new effects!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, THIS post turned me off more than the collectible model. I am still going to invest in the game even though I have no place for OP in my area. If I feel the need for these exclusive cards, there's always a secondary market. I think it's great they're promoting OP, but having never been one for tournaments, I've always avoided OP like the plague. This just creates a problem for my completionist side, but as Mike Elliot said in the other thread, you don't NEED every piece to have a full game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I re-posted that but maybe not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, does'nt bother me. Game is cheap enough of a buy in and at a $1 a pack I could care less I'm more going to play it for fun. I stopped buying and traded off my Android: Netrunner because it became too expensive at $15 a month and $30 every 6 or so months because of my completionist attitude for that type of a game. Random "booster" packs I don't care but "buy this and get em all" I have to own em all because I know I can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo cards with more/different abilities... Perhaps they won't be allowed to be used in tournaments to keep a level playing field? Otherwise this one single article will have turned me completely off of this game. I like to play all kinds of CCGs and very competitively. If a game has exclusive promos that not everyone can get and make them tournament legal then I almost always stop playing that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dacool561 wrote:
Perhaps they won't be allowed to be used in tournaments to keep a level playing field?

This is absolutely key - surely it has to be this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exclusive action cards aren't actually that big a problem if I understand how they work correctly. If my opponent brings an awesome exclusive action card, I can buy dice off of it and use it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Exclusive action cards aren't actually that big a problem if I understand how they work correctly. If my opponent brings an awesome exclusive action card, I can buy dice off of it and use it too.

This is true, & it's certainly better than exclusive hero cards by a long way, but it's possible that a tournament squad could be built specifically to take advantage of one of these exclusive actions, & even if the opponent could use them, it wouldn't be so much of an advantage for them to do so. Easier & fairer just to make them illegal for tournament play - doesn't mean the lucky owners can't use their fancy exclusives all they like in their group in casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt they would do that, though. Heroclix and Attack Wing have tons of stuff that you can only get from organized play that is completely legal in organized play. The whole point is to make people want to go to the events to get the stuff, restricting it would go against that goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that's a shame. Oh well, just gotta hope the exclusives aren't overpowered then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
Hmm, that's a shame. Oh well, just gotta hope the exclusives aren't overpowered then.

Here we are, many months later. All I can say is "Bahahahahahahahahaha. That's funny"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
To the naysayers, very few OP action cards are voluntarily played in our store events. They just aren't as popular as standards like Smash, Power Bolt & Distraction!

'Last and certainly not least, the monthly participation prizes are Basic Action Cards that feature all-new effects!'

In the case of the Month Five cards it's a weaker repetition of a card from the Uncanny release.

Storyline organised play events don't feel like tournaments. While some players treat their matches competitively most of us are just here to have fun playing the game. If you have volunteers at your local store willing to co-ordinate things then I highly recommend it. The event reporting software works really well and is easy to use too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.