Hide
3 Posts

The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about The Horn of Gondor... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Dyke
msg tools
Hello, I have a question about The Horn of Gondor. Recently, I used the Horn of Gondor with the * on it (burst ability) to take Legolas and Gimli from my g/f's Used pile (of course, "trade" it). She said that she was using the burst ability to move the same Legolas and Gimli from her Used Pile to her active pile, thus meaning I couldn't target it. I told her there is no way in heck that she could do that and justified it by saying that the ability targets the die and she couldn't snatch it away from the Used Pile since it was targeted to begin with. Or even if she did, I would still get the die.

So, was I right? You can't use the Horn of Gondor's burst ability (which applies to all players) to "save" the exact die that someone is choosing to trade for the horn can you? Rules gurus please help.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert, but as I recall she cannot stop you. You pick the die from her used pile and put L/G in its place. The die you picked goes to your used pile (You do not get to use it this turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lambert
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the v2 rules:

Quote:
How does the Horn of Gondor ability work? The Horn of
Gondor die is placed in another player’s Used Pile in exchange
for a die from their Used Pile. That die goes to your Active
Pool and can be immediately rolled if Horn of Gondor is used
during Phase 2.

So the die you picked does not go to your Used Pile, though unless you use the Horn during Phase 2, you won't be able to use the die you stole this turn.

Burst effects "are in addition to the normal effects of the dice. Burst abilities are optional." So, I would say that the normal ability occurs first, then the additional ability.

However, if you are taking a die the other player wants to move to their Active Pool then it's not much of a "fellowship"! =] We found that with two players after we bought all of the horns we were swapping them around almost every turn. I even used the horn to steal another horn repeatedly until I finally got the "Draw and Roll" effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.